Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Cruise Control Wont Engage

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Cruise Control Wont Engage

Has anyone had this problem and knows to how fix it, or at least where to start? this is for a 1996 Sr5 4Runner.
When I turn on my cruise control, the green light goes on. However, when I try and set it, it wont engage. Is this a broken switch on the steering wheel?
I had a mechanic frined briefly check it out, and when we tried to see if there was power going to the cruise box under the hood, there wasnt. The engine wasnt running at the time, but the key was turned over. He said that this is not necessarily a broken cruise box, as he thinks that it wont get power unless the car is running and over 40mph. Is he wrong, should there be at least a power current going to the box?
ANy other things I should check or test to determine at least where the problem is?
Thanks in adavnce.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nubreed
Has anyone had this problem and knows to how fix it, or at least where to start? this is for a 1996 Sr5 4Runner.
When I turn on my cruise control, the green light goes on. However, when I try and set it, it wont engage. Is this a broken switch on the steering wheel?
I had a mechanic frined briefly check it out, and when we tried to see if there was power going to the cruise box under the hood, there wasnt. The engine wasnt running at the time, but the key was turned over. He said that this is not necessarily a broken cruise box, as he thinks that it wont get power unless the car is running and over 40mph. Is he wrong, should there be at least a power current going to the box?
ANy other things I should check or test to determine at least where the problem is?
Thanks in adavnce.

5 speed or auto? If it's 5 spd I can help, if it's auto I have no idea.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:45 PM

On my '89 first gen, the cruise control wouldn't engage if a brake lite was out. Not sure why, I guess some kind of safety / warning feature. Perhaps check your brake lites??
Old 03-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did the cruise ever work?
When did it stop?

Check all the fuses and bulbs first to make sure they are all in order.
Then post back.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:02 PM

its a 5spd. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by dragr1
5 speed or auto? If it's 5 spd I can help, if it's auto I have no idea.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:03 PM

It has not worked as long as I have owned it. thats about 2 months. i looked into the fuse box, and did not find a fuse for the cruise control nor a spot for one in the schematic. what position is that fuse, and what lights should i check?

thanks

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Did the cruise ever work?
When did it stop?

Check all the fuses and bulbs first to make sure they are all in order.
Then post back.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:05 PM

there are no warning lights displayed in my dash whenever i drive. i know of the low master cylinder toyota safety thing, and it would seem that this is not the problem.

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
On my '89 first gen, the cruise control wouldn't engage if a brake lite was out. Not sure why, I guess some kind of safety / warning
feature. Perhaps check your brake lites??
Old 03-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

There is an adjustment for the clutch pedal under the dash. If it is out of adjustment, the cruise control will not engage. Look under there and you will see a small white thing that the clutch pedal pushes on when the pedal is depressed. This disengages the cruise control. You should see the adjustment screws right there-fiddle (yes fiddle) with those and I will bet that you can get the cruise control to work. It will take some toying with to see how it works, but once you see it I think you will see what I mean.

This all assumes that there are no blown fuses anywhere.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:56 PM

cool I will check that out tonight. i have checked all my fuses, and all are good. what fuses does the cruise control hook up to, or what fuse is cruise a part of? it doesnt say cruise control in my fuse box nor give any indication as to being a part of a fuse anywhere.

thanks

There is an adjustment for the clutch pedal under the dash. If it is out of adjustment, the cruise control will not engage. Look under there and you will see a small white thing that the clutch pedal pushes on when the pedal is depressed. This disengages the cruise control. You should see the adjustment screws right there-fiddle (yes fiddle) with those and I will bet that you can get the cruise control to work. It will take some toying with to see how it works, but once you see it I think you will see what I mean.

Last edited by nubreed; 03-07-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nubreed
cool I will check that out tonight. i have checked all my fuses, and all are good. what fuses does the cruise control hook up to, or what fuse is cruise a part of? it doesnt say cruise control in my fuse box nor give any indication as to being a part of a fuse anywhere.

thanks
I would just get a fuse checker and check them all. You know the little gizmo that lights up when you touch a good fuse.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:58 AM

Live thread live!!!! Did you get your cruise working? What was the problem?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM

cruise

mine just flashes non stop wont do anything as far as seting speed...went to toyota dealer and asked bout mine 97 4runner 5speed 4x4 and they told me my ecu was out...and 2200 for a new one!!!!!!!!!!but i dont trust them im researching....any info anyone has would b greatly appreciated....wiring diagram for 3rd gen runner??????or just where the cruise brain is located???please help......
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM

not sure if this will benefit you guys or not, but the cruise in my camry was not working, and it ended up being the brake light switch.

my cruise light would come on and stay lit on the cluster, but when I'd try and set it, it would blink and then shut off.

I downloaded a factory service manual for my camry, and it told me how to retrieve the codes from the cruise ECU (which is a stand alone ECU, at least on my car).

NOTE for Auto transmission guys, block wheels to prevent vehicle from rolling, and the following tests are performed in the "D" position of the shifter.

try this for testing the brake, clutch, parking brake, cruise set, cruise accel :

key ON , cruise OFF(not running) :hold the cruise switch in the "set" position, then push the cruise "ON" button (continuing to hold the lever down (set position). it should blink 2 blinks pause 2 blinks

NEXT

Key on, cruise off: Hold switch up (res/accel) then push cruise ON switch (continuing to hold the lever up) should blink 3 times, pause blink 3 times.

now release the lever, but leave key on and cruise switch on:

this test will be quick, and tests clutch, brake, and parking brake switches.

the cruise light should be lit solid now, push the clutch pedal down, the light should go off, release and it comes back on, push brake pedal down, light should go off, release, and it comes back on. Same for the parking brake.

(If you have an auto transmission, this next step is for you, manual trans continue to next test) (on a level surface with wheels blocked to prevent it from rolling) shift into neutral and then park. the light should remain off in those positions).

If you passed those tests, there are 2 tests performed while driving.

First the ECU needs to be in the diagnostic mode so you may have to hold the lever up or down (either way works) and push the cruise ON switch until it blinks, then release the lever and drive the vehicle. (this tests the vehicle speed sensor signal)

driving up to 25 mph the light should stay lit, above 25 mph the light should continuously flash. If it does, then all systems are in check, and you can move on to other diagnostic checks. (like testing the actuator motor itself, as well as the actuator magnet clutch -if either of those 2 are bad, the cruise will not engage.

hope this works on the runner too, I own a 4runner but everything is working fine as far as the cruise, but my camry was acting up. so I did lots of digging.

Let me know if it helps out! (if not I did lots of typing for nothing!)
The following users liked this post:
scooubasteve (12-08-2022)
Old 09-02-2008, 05:31 PM

for some reason my accelerate feature doesnt work but everything else does
Old 09-02-2008, 07:16 PM

I just did the test on my 99 4runner just to make sure it worked, and indeed it worked for me on the "accel" side too.

one question, did you turn off the cruise before trying that test?

if not you could try the test now but start off trying the "accel" test.

if it works now, then you just didn't turn off the cruise switch before trying the test t he other way.

if it still doesnt work, then you found the issue. I would suspect an issue with the clock spring behind the airbag (its a reel with multiple wires, from the cruise, to the airbag even the horn, it is coiled up in a plastic case, that allows the steering wheel to to turn while maintaining contact to those features on the steering wheel itself.

I had a honda civic that the SRS light would remain on all the time, found out that it was the clock spring. replaced it, and all was good again!

but if the cruise ECU does not see the contact to the accel side of that switch, then it makes sense that the cruise would not work.

let me know
Old 12-26-2008, 06:22 PM

You sir, are my hero...

... I spent HOURS for the past couple of days searching google and here, digging through thread after thread. Digging out fuses, checking bulbs, jumping diagnostic terminals, and nothing. But this, this! was the cure!! Thank you, and if i ever meet you, a beverage of your choice on me
The following users liked this post:
Hvacman (11-18-2021)
Old 11-08-2017, 10:10 AM

My T100 past all the tests except the parking brake test. The cruise light stays on whether the parking brake is on or off. The parking brake indicator light on the dash goes on and off as it should I tested the switch and it SEEMS to be working right (has continuity until the button is pushed) What could cause the failed test? Should I buy another switch?.
Thanks.