Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen ARB Safari bumper folks...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen ARB Safari bumper folks...

Likes ? Dislikes ? Fit ? How much tweaking ? How much ?

Wanna sell me yours cheap ?

David
Old 04-25-2006, 12:50 PM

I dont have the safari but the other winch bumper and i love it. I had to take an angle grinder to the mounts for the old bumper so going back to stock would be a pain. The front end weight might be an issue but for what i use it for its worth it.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
safari? do you mean ARB Sahara Bar?

I have one. Love it. Fits very well. Looks good too... No, I won't sell you mine, and you'll have to search the net for the lowest price.

best you'll do is about $1050-$1100 shipped. then you add $250 for the fog lights and another $300 for the IPF lights, then a few hundred to paint...

Last edited by bamachem; 04-25-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Banned

they dont fit a 98 without modification do they?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Banned

they don't fit ANY runner w/o modification to the front bracket on the 99+ and i think you have to do some stuff to the 96-98's as well.

here's the best pics of the install...

http://www.wecool.net/4Runner/Sahara

the good news is that you can get those bracket endplate thingys at the dealer for like $20 each and have them re-welded on if you ever go back stock.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

I had one. It looked great, but stuck out a bit too far for me. Would I buy another? Maybe.

On the 96-98's the only modifications are unbolting the endcaps, and drilling a hole through the frame rails. Easy as pie.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
Likes ? Dislikes ? Fit ? How much tweaking ? How much ?

Wanna sell me yours cheap ?

David

no safari bar, but theres a sahara bar and winch/bull bar. ive got the winch bar (they both accept winches), for the prado which is 72" wide to fit runners with limited/sport (fatter) flares. the 68" taco/4runner bar fits the non wide flare trim.

likes? no..me LOVES lol. dislikes? none really, although the wings are about .5" longer thus not lining up with the wheel arches very well...picking nits here. it wasnt built for 3rd gen runner measurements, it just so happens it fits. minor gap from trailing edge top plate and under corner lenses.

how much tweaking? none really. some had to grind off the flange on the frame rail ends, but my mounts were slotted to accomodate that extra bit of metal. i did have to elongate one of the mounting holes for it to line up properly and sit level. saharas require a bit more work i think as andy mentioned.

how much? just email trdparts4u.com and get an awesome price. i couldnt find anything cheaper. i didnt have to pay shipping either since i picked up directly from ARB in WA...but id imagine bumper+shipping would be more or less what most places have just for the bumper itself. the sahara bar goes for over a G though and from what i see, they stick out quite a bit further...

sell you mine cheap? i just got it on a month ago lol...
Old 04-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
...they stick out quite a bit further...
actually, it doesn't. it's "larger" but doesn't stick out all that much farther than a standard ARB Prado Bull Bar

my runner has a 2" lift + a 1" body lift and 265/75's and the black one is waskillywabbit's old 00 SR5 that OME 882's on the front (2.5" lift) + a 2" Body Lift and 285's. my bumper tucked up nicely with the 1" BL, but the Bull Bar didn't have enough adjustment for the 2" BL and needed the brackets to be cut and rewelded. notice that although he has 1.5" more lift and 1" more tire and a non-adjusted bumper, my bumper actually gave me the exact same approach angle because it tucked up higher on the brackets and didn't stick out any farther than the Bull Bar.

also, notice how the winch fairlead would be tucked (and it is) into the hole in the sahara bar and would be protected where on the Bull Bar, it sticks out in front of the bumper and is lower than that front edge, putting it in harms way on any ledge climbs...

Last edited by bamachem; 04-26-2006 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 PM

I don't have one, but I looked at them a while back. They seem nice to me, they have that almost stock look when painted. When I go with a winch, I will probably just do one behind my front bumper, and keep my WAAG, they are nice, but IMO too pricey. If you have the later 3rd gen with the bumper that sticks out farther, a winch will fit behind the stock bumper with a little cutting of the plastics. I know that brush guards decrease the aproach angle, but with a 3" suspension, and eventual 2" body lift, I wont be worried about it. If you have $1600 plus money for a winch to kick around, I'd say go for it.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JHupp
I don't have one, but I looked at them a while back. They seem nice to me, they have that almost stock look when painted. When I go with a winch, I will probably just do one behind my front bumper, and keep my WAAG, they are nice, but IMO too pricey. If you have the later 3rd gen with the bumper that sticks out farther, a winch will fit behind the stock bumper with a little cutting of the plastics. I know that brush guards decrease the aproach angle, but with a 3" suspension, and eventual 2" body lift, I wont be worried about it. If you have $1600 plus money for a winch to kick around, I'd say go for it.
honestly, i think that tucking a winch behind the OEM bumper wouldn't be all that bad, but the OEM bumper is also tupperware. not only that, but to put a WAGG damage magnifier on there is just asking for trouble.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:16 AM

Thanks all....

My head said Sahara and my fingers wrote Safari ... doh !

And you cannot edit a title of a thread so it has to stay...

David
Old 04-26-2006, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bamachem
....but to put a WAGG damage magnifier on there is just asking for trouble.

I really like the look of the ARB over the TJM, especially when painted to match the body.
.....mines not getting one though because it's too much of a street machine to justify the cost.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:38 AM

honestly, i think that tucking a winch behind the OEM bumper wouldn't be all that bad, but the OEM bumper is also tupperware. not only that, but to put a WAGG damage magnifier on there is just asking for trouble.
Cool, also, as with any bumper I've seen, the stock frame could use a bit of beefing up if you plan on using a winch. Almost everyone I went riding with reccomended thi. I tend to think it's only if you plan on doing some real nasty stuff(winching on extreme angles, or from the sides), but as always, better safe then sorry.

[hijack]On the WAAG, I have had nothing but luck with mine. I think it saved me a ton of money. My g/f had rear ended another car doing about 35 mph. I only had to replace the brush guard at a whopping $300, rather than all new bumpers, paint, etc. Also, I pushed a 2wd chevy s10 about 30 yds. through some nasty mud in NY. It also saved me a lot of paint off my front bumper in parking lots. Youd be suprised how many times I came out, and saw people parked on it. Overall, for $300, it was one of the few things on my truck that actually saved me some $$$ and kept it looking right(and good IMO) in the process.[/hijack]

$1600(total cost of bumper/paint/shipping/lights) would not be terrible for en entire pre-fabbed front setup, that gets the best clearance of most of the bumpers out there. That's ready to drop in a winch. It's just the knowing that I would have to buy it again(or possibly even a 3rd time) that gets me. I like having my cheap brush guard up front. I'd rather replace that any day over a $1600 bumper or a few dollars worth of body work. Just my .02.

Last edited by JHupp; 04-26-2006 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Banned

yeah, i understand. the $1600 is for the bumper, 4 lights, and paint. you can also get a new ARB Bull Bar for about $700 and then paint it if you want instead of $1100 for a Sahara Bar. there's also lots of custom options out there as well, and some less than $700 for the bumper.

with the Sahara Bar, it attaches to the SIDE of the frame rail and has a thru-bolt. the Bull Bar attaches over the frame rails and has a stud/bolt thru the end of the frame rail cap. that's what is weak and needs to be beefed up on the Bull Bars.

i don't think that lights would be replaced unless it was a pretty severe accident, so that's not necessarily a "replacement cost". another thing to consider is that if/when the WAGG give out, you're replacing a $300 bar and a $900 bumper assembly/brackets + a $150 grill + two headlights with buckets at about $450 + a hood and paint for another $500 and possibly fender damage and additional paintwork. if it would not have been on there and you get into a minor bump, then you're looking at maybe $300 for the metal part of the bumper (OEM), $150 for the rear support behind it and $200-$300 for the paint to match. if you have an ARB/TJM on there, then the MOST you're looking at is $100 for new brackets and some rattle-can or possibly $100-$200 to repaint it if it's color-matched.

how do i know? i used to have a Manik on this runner. had a low-speed collision that took all that out - bumper (metal and plastic), lights, buckets, grill, hood, and both fenders. i replaced it with the sahara and have never looked back.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

with the Sahara Bar, it attaches to the SIDE of the frame rail and has a thru-bolt. the Bull Bar attaches over the frame rails and has a stud/bolt thru the end of the frame rail cap. that's what is weak and needs to be beefed up on the Bull Bars.

weird...my bull bar bracket isnt like that. its also got a through bolt (had to drill a half inch hole to accomodate) as well as the 2 bolts on the bottom, and utilizes the oem holes for the bumper brackets. nothing bolts to the frame rail end cap. wonder if this was a newer design due to the weakness of the brackets you describe...

and youre right. the sahara doesnt stick out that much...but when i saw this pic it made me think so. my trailing edge doesnt stick out that much, it butts up right against that trim plate and the bottom of the grill. i cant take off my grille without removing the bumper first..thats how tight it is. i guess its just the variances in frame rails...
Old 04-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Sahara = Two thumbs up!

I love how mine looks, and the install was pretty easy. Check out my sig for pics.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
weird...my bull bar bracket isnt like that. its also got a through bolt (had to drill a half inch hole to accomodate) as well as the 2 bolts on the bottom, and utilizes the oem holes for the bumper brackets. nothing bolts to the frame rail end cap. wonder if this was a newer design due to the weakness of the brackets you describe...

and youre right. the sahara doesnt stick out that much...but when i saw this pic it made me think so. my trailing edge doesnt stick out that much, it butts up right against that trim plate and the bottom of the grill. i cant take off my grille without removing the bumper first..thats how tight it is. i guess its just the variances in frame rails...
you must have a prado bull bar and not a tacoma bull bar then. the taco bar has the bolt that you have to reinforce. i guess all prado bars then use similar brackets on the sides of the frame rails.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

you must have a prado bull bar and not a tacoma bull bar then. the taco bar has the bolt that you have to reinforce. i guess all prado bars then use similar brackets on the sides of the frame rails.
yeah..thats what i thought too. when i got my setup i was wondering what all this fuss about reinforcement, finally clued in that the prado had a different mount than the taco bar.

btw, youve got 1" BL right? was there much adjustment to your mounts to accompany this extra height or did you have to mod your brackets? im putting in a 1.5" BL, but only want to raise the bumper 1" and by the looks of the way the bar is mounted to the bracket, i may just need to drill new holes 1" below the current holes on the mounting plate of the bumper. mine doesnt have the option of mounting holes as shown in this pic . im just hoping that drilling new holes wont compromise the strength of the mounting plates...