Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen 4WD problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen 4WD problem

Hello,

<My 02 Runner front wheels engage hard every time I accelerate when on H 4WD/ cent-diff unlocked. The front end fells much like going over a small bump on the road everytime I step on the gas even on straight line and level ground. I feel it could be a motor mount, a bad diff, bad transfer case, or even a synch/electrical problem of some kind. My old 01 Runner felt smooth when in this mode. Has anyone experienced this, and if so, what was the problem?
Old 10-17-2003, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

I would recommend going to the dealer since you are still under warranty. A trusted dealer that is.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:47 AM

cwcruzer

I have a 99 limited with the multi-mode 4wd like yours. If i'm coasting down the road with the center diff unlock in 4H and my foot off the gas and then step on the gas, i'll get a jolt from the front drive line exactly how you described. If I lock the diff. the jolt disappears. I think whats happening over time is the center diff. develops some clearances and causes driveline slack. I know its really annoying, but the only way I can tolerate it is to change my driving style and being less abrupt with the throttle and apply smooth application to the gas pedal.

Walt
Old 10-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

I think the manual says something about every once in a while going through the different modes and driving a couple miles just too keep everything lubricated and working correctly. Maybe if you just get everything serviced and lubed and keep up some kind of routine of driving in all the modes from time to time it will solve itself.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I would recommend going to the dealer since you are still under warranty. A trusted dealer that is.
I took it to the dealer and they are researching, lets hope they come up with something.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by ilocan
cwcruzer

I have a 99 limited with the multi-mode 4wd like yours. If i'm coasting down the road with the center diff unlock in 4H and my foot off the gas and then step on the gas, i'll get a jolt from the front drive line exactly how you described. If I lock the diff. the jolt disappears. I think whats happening over time is the center diff. develops some clearances and causes driveline slack. I know its really annoying, but the only way I can tolerate it is to change my driving style and being less abrupt with the throttle and apply smooth application to the gas pedal.

Walt
You are right on the money with your description, but I still feel there is something wrong. My older 01 model was as smooth as silk on this mode. Therefore, I'm hoping the dealer gives some good feedback, or I wil continue to Bug the heck out of them. I always felt Toyota made better products than most. As soon as I hear something from the dealer I will post it on the site.

Thanks

Last edited by cwcruzer; 10-17-2003 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
I think the manual says something about every once in a while going through the different modes and driving a couple miles just too keep everything lubricated and working correctly. Maybe if you just get everything serviced and lubed and keep up some kind of routine of driving in all the modes from time to time it will solve itself.
Yes, you are right about the manual recommendation and I have taken it off road to work it out. Now when I got the truck it only had 22k (Almost 25Ks now)and after a thorough inspection underneath and around it looked like a garage kept vehicle, not a lot of off road action. Although more off road could help I'm concern that it could create further damage as well. Hopefully the dealer will give me some good feedback, but in the mean time I think I will log some easy off-road time and continue to monitor. After all it is still under warranty, right!

Thanks