Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen 4Runner or Tacoma for College Kid

Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen 4Runner or Tacoma for College Kid

Hey there guys. I have been a member of Yotatech for a while but never really got into posting a whole lot until recently. I had some questions to ask. I have researched these forums and found lots of information. However, some of my questions have not quite been answered. I was curious if all your guys could help me out.
I am a college student over in Spokane, WA and am looking at purchasing a vehicle for going up to the mountains for skiing as well as drive back home for the holidays. Now, my parents are talking about purchasing a vehicle for me that is safe and reliable. I have managed to steer them towards Toyota vehicles since I have previous experience with their reliability. There are pro's and con's for each such as 4Runner are cheaper in my area but are hard to find 5-speeds. The Tacoma's are more expensive but are much more easy to find in 5-speeds and the 3RZ engine. I personally would rather have the 4-cylinder because I have no need for the extra power and I like better fuel economy. My parents are paying for the majority of the vehicle and all the maintenance (Except for my normal level of modifications), but I don't want to purchase a vehicle that will cost more money if I can avoid it. What sounds like the best course of action for me? I have always wanted a 4Runner but I don't like that the majority of them come with automatics. I have a few friends who have had problems with the radiator corroding and ruining the engine and transmission. How much of this is based off of their ignorance for maintenance? Or is it a common occurrence?
Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
4runner. I take mine to the mts (97) every week for snowboarding. Handles amazing and not as squirly in the rear being its much heavy in the back than a pickup. Great space for all your goods and friends. Get a 5 speed defiantly and ide go for the 3.4. Not taking anything away from the 2.7 but you will wish you had a little extra umph going up into the mts with the 3.4. I get great millage aswell with my V6. If you get the Tacoma the 2.7 would be good but I still would stick with a 3.4
Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Is there anything I should look for in a 4Runner? I know the old Pickups/4Runners fairly well but the 3rd Gen and up are foreign to me. Anything that they are known to have go wrong with them? And what would you say is a fair price for a 5-Speed and V6 over on the west side? That's where I am from originally and will be purchasing it back at home. I was thinking about looking for anything under 200,000 miles should be good enough for making sure it runs correctly. I am a fairly mechanical inclined and have access to a shop over here if I need to do anything.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM

bought mine for like 4k and had 180 on it. Im now at 230, only had to replace clutch and fuel injector went bad one day. other than that its solid. Be cool to find one with elocker like I was able to. Just stay away from automatics they suck. Youll drive one forever if its a 5speed
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Dang! How did you pick one up for that cheap? And yeah, I would love one with an e-locker...
Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM

The guy I bought it from ended up being my old bosses friend. He was originaly asking 6k+ I was able to just talk him down. Love it
Old 12-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
4Runner, but I'm biased. I like people carrying capability and having my stuff inside. Also, people don't ask me to move big stuff for them. To answer your radiator corroding question, it's avoidable. If auto search "pink milkshake" and "oil cooler". If over 150,000 miles plan on replacing lower ball joints soonish, search. Are the rotors warped? If 2.7 is the manifold cracked? Are the electricals having to do with the rear hatch working? Is everything copacetic for a vehicle with xxx,xxx miles?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Tacoma does great going to Mt. Hood 20+ times a ski season with a bag of sand in the bed over each wheel well and mud/snow rated Les Schwab tires.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 PM

Firestone destinations! Amazing tread and wear, Oh and no sand in the back

4runner

lol
Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xcfunrunner
Is there anything I should look for in a 4Runner? I know the old Pickups/4Runners fairly well but the 3rd Gen and up are foreign to me. Anything that they are known to have go wrong with them? And what would you say is a fair price for a 5-Speed and V6 over on the west side? That's where I am from originally and will be purchasing it back at home. I was thinking about looking for anything under 200,000 miles should be good enough for making sure it runs correctly. I am a fairly mechanical inclined and have access to a shop over here if I need to do anything.

yes

1998-2002

1) if automatic transmission, search for term 'milkshake' on these forums

-if radiator has not been replaced, it MUST be replaced no matter what.
if it has been replaced already, suspect that a milkshake may have occurred
and the transmission history needs to be investigated

that is about the only huge warning about 4runners I am aware of

Oh yeah...

Must raise rear end and pull rear wheels off, and pull brake drum off, and inspect for
any axle seal leakage...because if it ever did leak and was repaired, repairs often
do not last unless they are done perfectly and with OEM parts...so looking at it is wise

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 12-06-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM

Hi from another Spokanite! Having owned both, I know you'll be happy with either choice. Pick the Tacoma if you plan to haul junk. Pick the 4Runner if you plan to haul people. For my current needs, the 4Runner is the obvious choice. When I was in college and moved around a lot, a pick-up made more sense. The stock 4Runner has the slight edge in the snow because of extra weight over the rear wheels. But you can easily add weight in the bed of a Taco.

Like you said, the 4Runners are cheaper around here. They seem to be a dime-a-dozen in Spokane. I don't know why they're cheaper, because I think you get more bang for your buck with a 4Runner. Of course, the Tacoma's have more of the cool-factor, which is probably why they go for more money.

Reliability wise, they're both very good, but each have their maintenance issues. If you buy ANY truck with over 100K miles on it, you can plan on having to do routine maintenance. That's life. But overall you'll be very pleased with your new truck. Good luck with the search.

Last edited by Mtn Mike; 12-06-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 AM

I have had the pleasure of owning both, a 97 lx extended cab when i was in college and now a 2000 4runner, I would highly recommend trying to find a good used 4runner, Even with the extended cab, i never had enough room to carry loads of clothes odds and ends stuff home on the weekends. I would have loved to have had my 4runner in college, dont get me wrong ive regretting selling my old tacoma all the time. Either would be a very reliable vehicle for you but from my experience the more room the better especially when you get about the same mpg. Also like you enjoyed winter sports i ended up paying around 400-500 dollars for a roof rack set up for my tacoma, whereas all you need is the 50-60$ ski rack attached the the factory 4runner racks. its alot more convenient for that.

Last edited by Browntown3; 12-06-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:07 AM

ive got a 2002 4 runner and handles great on icy roads(with bridge stone blizarks).

if you decide to get a 4 cyl, make sure you test drive it on a big highway and get her up to 70 mph to really feel how under powered it is.

and if its an auto do an aux tranny cooler so you don't get the pink milkshake as previously stated
Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 AM

4runner is better for a college student.
Get a 99', they don't have all the electronic VSC / traction control nannies, you can get a manual, elocker, etc.

The radiator should be replaced every 10 years... that's usually when they crack (automatic only).

These are SOLID trucks and even better built than the 1st/2nd gen's (when you work on it, you can see all the parts are upgrades of the 1st/2nd gen ones.... thats why i try to swap as much 3rd gen parts onto my 1st gen as i can)....

Just watch out for rusty frames!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM

I agree with the others that say 4runner is the way to go. I got my '97 back in July before I moved away to college. $3200, 180,000 miles, 3.4L, manual, elocker, SR5(contrary to the belief that only limiteds come with an elocker). I fit everything into it that I needed when I moved. I wouldn't want to have less power than the v6 has though. The only problem is that you will be driving the same thing as most sorority girls... But it's worth it.

Last edited by Woods12; 12-09-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Woods12
I agree with the others that say 4runner is the way to go. I got my '97 back in July before I moved away to college. $3200, 180,000 miles, 3.4L, manual, elocker, SR5(contrary to the belief that only limiteds come with an elocker). I fit everything into it that I needed when I moved. I wouldn't want to have less power than the v6 has though. The only problem is that you will be driving the same thing as most sorority girls... But it's worth it.
All limiteds come with the elocker (except for Texas Ace's for some reason, LOL) but it could be ordered in any other model.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i would personally get a truck. most likely you will have this rig after you graduate - and everyone needs a pickup at some point in their life since you can haul stuff. downside is that you can haul stuff

if you get a 4runner then you may automatically become the obligatory ride for everyone since you have high seating capacity (and not everyone chips in for gas) so keep that in mind as a college student. truck gets better mpg's too since it's lighter.

having driven both tacomas with 2.7/5spd and 3.4/auto - i'd say those are both fairly close in terms of power you can feel as driver. if you can find a 3.4/5spd - get it.

since your parents are paying for most of it - make sure you demand a 4wd since there are so many prerunners out there and 2wd 4runners (i know, right?) that are significantly cheaper than the 4wd models. had a roomate with a "2runner" in college and i still give him crap 10yrs later since he's still driving it.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
i would personally get a truck. most likely you will have this rig after you graduate - and everyone needs a pickup at some point in their life since you can haul stuff. downside is that you can haul stuff

if you get a 4runner then you may automatically become the obligatory ride for everyone since you have high seating capacity (and not everyone chips in for gas) so keep that in mind as a college student. truck gets better mpg's too since it's lighter.

having driven both tacomas with 2.7/5spd and 3.4/auto - i'd say those are both fairly close in terms of power you can feel as driver. if you can find a 3.4/5spd - get it.

since your parents are paying for most of it - make sure you demand a 4wd since there are so many prerunners out there and 2wd 4runners (i know, right?) that are significantly cheaper than the 4wd models. had a roomate with a "2runner" in college and i still give him crap 10yrs later since he's still driving it.
So true and good advice This brings back memories of having my truck in college: Although you wont be asked to give your buddies a ride, you WILL be the go-to guy to help all your friends move from apartment to apartment And don't think you can't haul people in a truck. I once carried 10 drunk grad students around downtown Chicago in the back of my '92 4x4 pick-up. Wish I had pics.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:25 PM

I would get a 4runner with the 2.7, I like the way they drive much more than the 3.4.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 PM

I'm a college student with an extended cab Tacoma. I had the choice of this Tacoma or a comparable 4runner, but I'm glad I chose the Taco because what I gave up in seating capacity I gained in capability and gas mileage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen 4Runner or Tacoma for College Kid