Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen 4runner or Land Cruiser FZJ80? For a DD with 2 under 18 months?

Old 03-14-2006, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen 4runner or Land Cruiser FZJ80? For a DD with 2 under 18 months?

This is for the wife as a DD. Basically we dont haveb a lot of room in the runner with 2 baby seats. Would like to at least have seats to carry 2 more people.

Hence us always thinking about a fj80, then after getting into cruisers and realizing that the FZJ80 is the way to go.

SO. We have a 97 SR5 4runner, 4x4, leather, sunroof, running boards, fender flairs, and a tjm front bumper. (see sig) 135K miles, never an issue at all. Only have had to do preventative maint, etc. Its not perfect, front seats worn and have hit a few deer, but all damage repaired correctly and added TJM to prevent any further damage. We have owned it for 3+ years and about 75K miles. We are the second owners.

I recently found a 93 FZJ80 with 130K miles I got him down to $6400 hopefullying going to look at it on thursday. Guy does seem a littl wierd. I think hes stressed at trying to sell it and has had many calls and tire kickers. He kept tellign me it wasnt perfect that it was a 15 yr old vehicle, not a new car, etc. (It has been his second car, recently bought a house so hes selling it. He has owned it for approx 2 or 3 years. I dont know which owner he is.)
-It has leather, towing package, 4wh disc and abs (which means FF rear right?), sunroof. Says its never been in the dirt at all.
-It has a brush guard and tail light guards. (Which I will tkae off and sell, to buy a TJM or ARB for the 80, deer protection!)

What advice, etc. can I get? I have read through the FAQ about 80 series on ih8mud as well as slee offroads site.
- I will loose gas milage
- Gain space and maybe $ on what I can sell our 4runner for.
- Will I really gain space or is the 3rd row usable? Where we are now we cannot even offer for people to ride with us.
- Will I loose value? According to book values by 4runner is worth more $??
- Both vehicles should have no issue running to 300K as far as I know.
- We love the 4runner and its ride, depedability, etc.
- Is it worth the risk (or is there any risk) in swapping to an other vehicle,etc? We just do not have it in our budget to have auto repairs. Especially with me trying to get the FJ62 where it needs to be!

- Or should we sit tight, even though this seems to be a great deal. And wait to get a 100 series in the next few years when the price on them drops to around $12K? Again this wont be an offroad rig, thats why i have the fj62. Is the 100 series a better DD, +/-'s etc?

- OR even a 4th gen 4runner?
Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-14-2006, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

don't forget the Lexus LX450. I have found several priced below the land cruisers of the same years and milage. Most of the time in better shape.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:19 AM

I wont forget them, right now I am not sure what direction to go. If the FZJ80 I found was a 97 and only $6500 I would be on it for sure, but this one is 4 years older than our 4runner. That seems to be the biggest scare, b/c even with similar milage, an older car is going to need more maint.

I wanted to get the 4runner guys aspect and I also have it posted on Mud to get the Land Cruiser Aspect as well.
Anyone else?

Last edited by X88&94GT; 03-14-2006 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you don't have money for repairs, then i don't know that a cruiser is for you. sorry, but it's the truth. they are WAY expensive to repair - if they ever do break. maintenance on the front axle can be spendy, but only every 100k miles or so. it's going to be slower than the runner, and will use about 30% more gas, but it's a nice ride and is a tank - read crash protection for the family. however, the 3rd row isn't much and could be used by kids, but it's cramped for adults.

you can get a hi-mileage (150k or so) 1998 UZJ100 for about $13-$14k if you shop it around. it's much bigger, has a more-usable 3rd row seat (again, for kids, not adults) and a V8 so better power. it gets a little better MPG's than the FZJ - but not enough to really matter. it's also more refined and quieter on the road. not as much of a wheeler since it's IFS, but still very capable with the optional rear locker.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:02 AM

I am in the same situation: want to have more room and more power (I tow a boat) and it will be used as DD.
And I am trying to decide what to do:
1) Sell my 4Runner 96, 4x4 SR5 92K (in perfect condition).
2) Get FJ80 or FJ100?
3) Go for 4-th generation 4Runner.

Here is an info I found so far:
All FJ= bad gas mileage but do have a lot more space.
FJ80: has straight 6 cylinder, it is a good motor but it can have bad HG (almost as often as 3.0 V6). Also it is not as powerful as you want for such big SUV. Also FJ80 has a problem with brakes- not big enough for its size.
FJ100 and 4-th generation 4Runners look like a better choice (and I am leaning towards new 4Runner) but what really stopping me there is that they both have V8 with timing belt and it is an interference engine. And I know it will take me long time to get used to that feeling of riding on the rubber belt that can snap and kill the engine in one second.

So I am not sure what I am going to do.
Just thought I would share what I had found.
Good luck to you man.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:05 AM

4Runner should be fine for you. I have 3 kids 16 and 18 months apart. We had two regualr car seats and a booster in the back of my 2nd Gen for a long time. The 2nd Gen has less rear seat room than a 3rd Gen. When your kids get bigger, an LC might make sense.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:12 AM

Front axle repairs are not costly if you do them yourself. (The axle on my fj62 is very similar) Parts are about $300 for that.
Not al fj80s have the same engine. I am talking about the FZJ80 which has the better engine. I have the same engine in my FJ62 as in the early (91-92) fj-80's its definately under powered but enough for what I do with it.

I have heard some stuff on the HG, but not alot. And also heard that average brake life is 15K miles?? We havent had the brakes done in the 3rd gen since we bought it 75K miles ago! (PO had them done just b/f we purchased.)

It seems as if it might be best for us to sit tight for now, see if we decide to have another child, then decide what to do. Especially since the cruiser I found for $6400 is 4 years older.

Thanks for the advice Cebby, you dont happen to have any pics of the booster seat etc do you?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by X88&94GT
Thanks for the advice Cebby, you dont happen to have any pics of the booster seat etc do you?
I'll have to see what I dig up. My kids have been out of car seats for a while - I have one out of seats/boosters altogether and two in boosters now.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

toyota sienna.

if its gonna be a DD, with (young) kids...it makes life so much easier. yeah a uzj of fzj is much better (in our eyes anyway ) but when it comes to hauling the fam its easier. especially if you wanna cram more people along for the ride. anything with a 3rd row seat without 3rd row doors is a pita to access.

this of course, if youre still planning on keeping your runner for yourself for wheeling fun. yeah a minivan isnt off-road cool, but it serves its purpose very well. a MV is much easier on gas/maintenance etc etc.

ive got two yoots (13mos & 3.5yrs), and loading up the kids is sometimes painstaking. and dont even mention to me about the mrs complaining about getting dirty from the sliders & door jamb when packing the kids in after ive come home from a day of wheeling. if yove got a 3rd one comin (or plannin on it) then easily accesable 3rd row seats is a must. when i was in cali last year, we had a minivan for a week. i was like wow...its so easy to get in & out of, packing the kids etc. no wonder minivans are so popular..haha. i want one..but not if i lose my runner.

n besides..if its for the mrs, does she really _need_ an 80 or 100? maybe when the sprogs get older and are able to get in & out on their own...a 100 will be a more viable option.

if you have to lose the runner, then it'll be a toss up. easy access/ride, or getwhatchawant 80-100 and deal with its shortcomings...

YMMV
Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

^^^^^
agreed.
keep the 4r and get a newer Sienna. As much as I hate to admit it it would be the best bet. If you want a change from the 4r, then that is a different story, but will your wife use the LC aside from running errands and being a pavement pounder??
Old 03-14-2006, 11:41 AM

IF we get something else @ this point it would be getting rid of the 4runner. I have my fj62 landcruiser for offroad and my DD (1 mile round trip).

- Have heard the minivan advice b/f but we (the wife and myself) are not willing to get one. She loves her 4runner and also loves the idea of a 80 or 100 series. But she has not driven either of them before. (We wanted to get a 80 series LC when we bought the 4runner, but cost was a huge gap then. And seems to still be for a low milage unit.) She even asked if the 80 series I found had a front bumper like our 4runner(tjm t-15). I said no, and she was disapointed! The biggest thing on it is protection, especially against deer. I have asked a few times about a small lift, etc on the 4runner and its always shot down

- I almost feel like it is somewhat of a step down to go to a 80 series (Even though it is a higher model in toyota's lineup.) mainly b/c of the age. It would be older or the same age as our 97.
- Definately see the idea behind just keeping our current set-up until the kids can get themselves in and out, so a 3rd row could actually be used.
-To be honest I would love to buy this 80 (mod it some) and use it as my DD and keep the 4runner and the fj62. That way we could be covered no matter what. But I just dont see spending $6K on something we dont need. Especially with 2 young kids. (and the wife seems to agree as well.)
- On top of that I am still in the process of finishing my 62. Gears, protection, maint, rust repair, etc. (still have about another $1.5K-$2K to go to get it where it needs to be.)
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

minivan hands down. safer and better mpg. use the 4r for the adventures but for the day to day stuff has to be the minivan unless you guys are strongly against it.

good luck
Old 03-14-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Good Times
minivan hands down. safer and better mpg. use the 4r for the adventures but for the day to day stuff has to be the minivan unless you guys are strongly against it.

good luck
We are strongly against it. Minivan isn't in the picture. We will buy a classic restored station wagon b/f a minvan.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Have you searched any higher mileage Sequioa's? 3 rows of seats.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Guess I can chimp in a bit here. I have both vehicles currently, a 96 4runner and a 95 LC80. I think both vehicle are excellent vehicles, it depends how u gonna use them. I wheel both of them on the same trail, and the 80 is better and more comfortable, both on hwy and offroad. The LC is quiter and smoother. The 4runner is more flexible in tight trail. I guess that hsouldn't concern you since you are using your 62 for the trail. Like everybody said, the LC will be pretty expensive in the repair expenses. I have spend quite a bit of money so far to keep my LC back into excellent condition.
There are one major issue on the 93-97 LC, it has faulty head gasket at number 6 and sometimes number 1 cylinder. Even the engine runs good doesn't mean that it is in good condition, it will blow anytime. The only remedy is to replace the new designed headgasket from Toyota. Do a search on ih8mud and you will see a lot of incidents like that. That will cost you quite a bit of $$$ unless you do it yourself, parts around $250. I haven't done mine yet, gonna do it soon, will try to replace it myself. Another issue a lot of people keep saying is the birfield repack, personally I do not think it is a big deal, if you have a weekend and $250 you will be able to repack everything with new grease, new bearings and all the seals yourself. I did it myself, and believe me it is not that bad, just messy! :pat:
Another concern you might have is the gas mileage on this tank, I get about 16mpg cruising at 80mph and about 13 city.

If you have those 2 things done, you practically have a tank that will last for a long long time. By working on both of my trucks, the built quality on the LC is better than the 4runner, it is designed to be abused and yet luxury. Personally I like the 95-97 LC, I think the newer grill, newer dashboard design looks better. The LC also has more aftermarket support in parts. The LC definatelly has more room than the 4runner, you should be able to fit 7/8 people easilly. One more thing, try to stay away any cruiser from the rust belt. It will haunt you just to replace all the rusted and messed up parts!!!!!

If I were you to get the rig just to drive on hwy and in town, I will get the 98 and up 100 series if money is not an issue. You can find a 98 for around 16k as compare to 8k for a 95LC, so you are paying double. But it is much more comfortable powerful, and quiter, you are almost comparing a toyota to a Benz!! go test drive both and I am sure you will go for the LC 100. I almost sold my 80 to get a 100 LC, but is just too much $$$ and I will cry like a baby if I hit a rock or something in the trail!! hope this help!!! Let us know what you get!! Good luck
Old 03-15-2006, 12:22 PM

My 2 cents...

Keep the 4Runner until the 100 series is priced @ what you are willing to spend.

I definitely would NOT go to a 4 yr older vehicle with an unkown history and unknown number of owners...

hupptoy
Old 03-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X88&94GT
We are strongly against it. Minivan isn't in the picture. We will buy a classic restored station wagon b/f a minvan.
My wife felt that way until we were given a minivan by my parents. We had to take it as our family had outgrown the Honda Accord and buying a car wasn't in the cards. Now she loves it and wouldn't trade it for an SUV.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:53 PM

I am debating of a switch to an LC too (even after telling Bamachem not to). It seems to be the same issue, the wife. My wife finds the space in the 4runner is sufficient (We only have one kid/baby and a dog), but does not find it comfortable enough for long road trips we take to the mountains and the southwest. I have thought of changing the seats, the supension etc, but in the end it is probably not going to help much (in her view). It will never behave or be as comfortable like a car, but it will give us the needed access on rugged roads, off road etc. We are also both tall and I could use a little more head space coming in and out on the truck.
Neither of us wants a minivan, and I not sure I would want to drive around a LC on a daily basis (my wife has a A6 which is a great highway cruiser but not the thing to blast down dirtroads when exploring). I will probably go testdrive a used LC or 4th gen to see how it handles.
sorry for the rambling..
I would agree with the other, get a newer LC (if you need the space) or you will have too much money to spend on repairs (even toyotas will have issues with age). I don't think a 4th gen will be big enough, but take a look at it.

(btw UJZ-100s do offroad, check the videos of one in Moad on 4wdtrips.net:
http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3054)

Last edited by Roadtripr; 03-15-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by hupptoy
My 2 cents...

Keep the 4Runner until the 100 series is priced @ what you are willing to spend.

I definitely would NOT go to a 4 yr older vehicle with an unkown history and unknown number of owners...

hupptoy

I talked it over with the wife as well as getting the info from guys on here and mud. And decided to go for this advice. Thats what we had been thinking anyway.

Thank you everyone here on yota tech. I dont make it on here much since the wife wont let me mod her 4runner more than the tjm bumper. But you guys gave me better and more advice than the guys in the 80 section on mud.

I hope to be able to get on here more often, especially with all the good advice!

For referance my SN on mud is 89s rule
Old 03-16-2006, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
I am debating of a switch to an LC too (even after telling Bamachem not to). It seems to be the same issue, the wife. My wife finds the space in the 4runner is sufficient (We only have one kid/baby and a dog), but does not find it comfortable enough for long road trips we take to the mountains and the southwest. I have thought of changing the seats, the supension etc, but in the end it is probably not going to help much (in her view). It will never behave or be as comfortable like a car, but it will give us the needed access on rugged roads, off road etc. We are also both tall and I could use a little more head space coming in and out on the truck.
Neither of us wants a minivan, and I not sure I would want to drive around a LC on a daily basis (my wife has a A6 which is a great highway cruiser but not the thing to blast down dirtroads when exploring). I will probably go testdrive a used LC or 4th gen to see how it handles.
sorry for the rambling..
I would agree with the other, get a newer LC (if you need the space) or you will have too much money to spend on repairs (even toyotas will have issues with age). I don't think a 4th gen will be big enough, but take a look at it.

(btw UJZ-100s do offroad, check the videos of one in Moad on 4wdtrips.net:
http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3054)
When we had one child there was plenty of space in the 4runner. Now with 2 baby seats in the back seat its useless. The 4runner is quite comfortable for us. I guess having a car has spoiled you (Especially a nice one.) Take your wife to drive a FJ62 and see what she thinks. Those are our 2 cars and its a world of difference. I love driving a LC as a DD. But I havent had a real nice riding car as a DD in 4+ years. (89 mustang 5.0 - handled liek a rail but ras stiff, 63 chevy impala- a huge boat on wheels, 89 FJ62 rides decent for a truck its size but definately not a comfort ride.)

For now we are going to wait, if a 100 series falls in our lap for a great deal with semi-low milage then we might bite the bullet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen 4runner or Land Cruiser FZJ80? For a DD with 2 under 18 months?