Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen 4runner body lift question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen 4runner body lift question

Ive been searching around and im thinking of getting a 1 inch body lift. Im not going to be doing any 4 wheeling. I just want a little higher look. I was looking at the 4crawler website but i just wanted to make sure I would be ordering the right thing. For a one inch lift would i just but A and C, or would i need anything else. I really dont think i need a bumper kit or do i. What should I expect to pay for installation. $115 shipped seems like a good price or would installing 4x4 springs be cheaper.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

I did that lift and it was easy, you could install it yourself. Just email roger at the 4crawler website and tell him you objectives and he'll make suggestions. Great price, can't be beat.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
I did that lift and it was easy, you could install it yourself. Just email roger at the 4crawler website and tell him you objectives and he'll make suggestions. Great price, can't be beat.
Yeup, yeup and yeup. Roger's also here on the forum as 4Crawler. Incredibly helpful guy.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:13 AM

Normally people do a 1" body lift when they are trying create a little more room for oversized tires on the trails, but if you are just trying to look higher then 1" won't do much.
I would look at the 2" kit instead, as you will be actually notice that your 4runner is lifted. There is very little difference between the two kits, and I think you'll be happier with the results. Just a thought.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tarheelrunner
Normally people do a 1" body lift when they are trying create a little more room for oversized tires on the trails, but if you are just trying to look higher then 1" won't do much.
I would look at the 2" kit instead, as you will be actually notice that your 4runner is lifted. There is very little difference between the two kits, and I think you'll be happier with the results. Just a thought.
This makes a ton of sense. Most will do the BL to fit bigger tires after they've already done a suspension lift. If you're going w/ the 17's and 32" tires, you may need more than the one inch BL...
Old 01-26-2006, 12:27 PM

thanks for the advice guys, i guess ill just hold off for now to see how i like the ride with just the new wheels on and move onto getting the scooped hood.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:11 PM

Just to warn you 2inch body lifts give you some gaps you may not be happy.

-Good Luck
Old 01-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

With a 2" lift, you are going to run into more problems with shifter fitment, wire, brake line, and coolant hose length.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
From experience w/ several 3rd gen body lifts...for a 2" body lift on a 3rd gen, you will have a gap on the front end unless you move up the OEM bumper w/ the brackets. You'll need a steering extension and a shifter adapter for the t-case shifter if you have an auto for it to "look" right. All the other stuff is not necessary.

Body lifts are easy once you see just how easy it is!

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:14 PM

The gaps can be covered w/ home depot pond liner. I'm pretty picky about how projects turn out, and with some gap guards, bumper brackets, and some weld on sliders you can't even tell that there is a 2" body lift.

I'll post some pics of my results, I really like how the 2" kit turned out on my 4runner.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:16 AM

yea picks would be sweet
Old 01-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

The gaps can be covered w/ home depot pond liner. I'm pretty picky about how projects turn out, and with some gap guards, bumper brackets, and some weld on sliders you can't even tell that there is a 2" body lift.

I'll post some pics of my results, I really like how the 2" kit turned out on my 4runner.
How did you keep the grill guard w/ the BL? I thought those get bolted to the frame...
Old 01-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

I also did the 2" BL. Had some help since it was my first time doing ANYTHING mechanical on a vehicle. Took several hours, but was easy enough. Make sure you have someone with a good jack... a Hi-Lift works the best!

Roger will walk you through everything... he'll even give you his cell number in case of an emergency.

As for the hoses and brake lines, blah blah blah... on a 3rd gen, the 2" doesn't effect any of these. Just make sure you work slowly when jacking the truck or you will have issues.

The gaps are noticeable. I didn't like the way that they looked, so I ordered some flaps from www.liftlips.com. They were like $60 and are mostly cut to fit. I did do some trimming. It took maybe 45 minutes to put them on and then I rattle-canned them black because the color they come in is a sort of dark grey. If you have any other questions... I'm sure they will get addressed here or by Roger himself.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
3rd gen body lift kit info:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...shtml#GenIII.2

The "Typical Kits" are what most folks "typically" order for the "typical" vehicle.

Bumper gap is taken care of with the front bumper bracket:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...BumperBrackets

Aftermarket grills and front bumpers can be dealt with as well:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...umperBrackets/
Although at 1", you often can leave the grill or aftermarket bumper at stock height.

Covers for the body-frame gaps are easy as well:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...html#GapGuards
Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 PM

thanks for all the help!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
How did you keep the grill guard w/ the BL? I thought those get bolted to the frame...
The grill guard does mount to the frame, and also has support brackets that run through the lower valence of the bumper. The body lift required me to take off the inner bumper that comes on 99-2002 4runners, which is what the main support brackets for the brush guard mount to. I redrilled holes into the end of the frame about 1.25" higher, and then got my uncle to do some handy work on the grill guard end of the bracket to make the holes about .75" higher. The bumper moved up with the brackets from the kit, so the other support brackets still fit through the lower valence. I upgraded to Grade 8 hardware all around, and also used enlarged washers since some of the holes got larger. About $10 worth of hardware and a little time is all it takes to make a Manik brush guard fit after adding a 2" body lift.

Its fits just as well as it did before I did the body lift, and is just on more way to make the body lift a little less noticeable!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

The grill guard does mount to the frame, and also has support brackets that run through the lower valence of the bumper. The body lift required me to take off the inner bumper that comes on 99-2002 4runners, which is what the main support brackets for the brush guard mount to. I redrilled holes into the end of the frame about 1.25" higher, and then got my uncle to do some handy work on the grill guard end of the bracket to make the holes about .75" higher. The bumper moved up with the brackets from the kit, so the other support brackets still fit through the lower valence. I upgraded to Grade 8 hardware all around, and also used enlarged washers since some of the holes got larger. About $10 worth of hardware and a little time is all it takes to make a Manik brush guard fit after adding a 2" body lift.

Its fits just as well as it did before I did the body lift, and is just on more way to make the body lift a little less noticeable!
Cool and pretty innovative...
Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

For the average wheeler/daily driver a 1" body lift is OK...2" is pointless and unsafe.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:30 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket
For the average wheeler/daily driver a 1" body lift is OK...2" is pointless and unsafe.
You got a reason for this statement? Such a "blanket" statement is incorrect on many levels, i.e. experience, mechanical structure/stability and Roger Brown.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:54 PM

Transfer shifter extension

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
From experience w/ several 3rd gen body lifts...for a 2" body lift on a 3rd gen, you will have a gap on the front end unless you move up the OEM bumper w/ the brackets. You'll need a steering extension and a shifter adapter for the t-case shifter if you have an auto for it to "look" right. All the other stuff is not necessary.
Has anyone installed the RB 2" extension for the transfer case? I have a 2000 4runner and need some insight. I'm presuming since the shifter has a on off button to engage the transfer case there must be some electrical there. I have a 2" threaded extension, has anyone done this. Thanks

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen 4runner body lift question