Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3 inch lift for a 92 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 inch lift for a 92 4runner

I don't want to bother you guys because I am sure this has been talked about 1000 times, but I am lazy.. I am thinking about a 3 inch body lift for my 4runner. Is there anything that I need to look out for? Seems pretty straight forward, blocks, steering ext, a few brackets. The only thing that I am not sure of is the front bumper. It seems that everthing else will come up with the body except the front bumper. How does the final product look with a gap between the top of the front bumper and the bottom of the grill?? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:20 PM

The transmission seems to be the main issue when it comes to BL's. Do you have a 5 speed manual or an automatic? There are others but lets see what you have going transmission wise first. Blue
Old 03-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

IMO a 3" is a little too much.

Since you have a 92, why not get downey rear springs, crank up the torsion bars and put a 1" BL on?
Old 03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bryontro
I am thinking about a 3 inch body lift for my 4runner.
Ouch,

That's a really big body lift for an otherwise stock 4Runner, I think you should think about lift springs in the back first, they can help make a big difference in offroad capability, and then you can go for a 1 in body lift (The blocks are like $1 each so...), which has no issues other than buying longer bolts, which is easy.

As for if you get the body lift, you will need to come up with some sort of special brackets for the outside corners of the bumper, because the front is attached to the frame (kinda) but the sides are attached to the body so the bumper will not be able to handle the body lift in its stock form...

You are gonna end up with some horrific gaps with a 3 in body lift, I strongly discourage it.

Last edited by mastacox; 03-23-2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=mastacox]
I am thinking about a 3 inch body lift for my 4runner.QUOTE]

Ouch,

That's a really big body lift for an otherwise stock 4Runner, I think you should think about lift springs in the back first, they can help make a big difference in offroad capability, and then you can go for a 1 in body lift (The blocks are like $1 each so...), which has no issues other than buying longer bolts, which is easy.

As for if you get the body lift, you will need to come up with some sort of special brackets for the outside corners of the bumper, because the front is attached to the frame (kinda) but the sides are attached to the body so the bumper will not be able to handle the body lift in its stock form...

You are gonna end up with some horrific gaps with a 3 in body lift, I strongly discourage it.
LOL No gaps here. A three inch body lift looks good as long as you dont do it back yard style. Buy quality parts from Roger Brown. He will give you every bracket you need. The front bumper is a 5 minute install. But a three inch BL is not for everyone. Make sure its what you want. I am happy with mine that also sits on top of my already lifted 4 inch suspension. I went for height and can do nearly everything that the little guys can do. Dont let the anti body lift guys discourage you though. If its what you want then by all means get it. Blue
Old 03-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
I am happy with mine that also sits on top of my already lifted 4 inch suspension.
Allow me to point out that BigBlue has a 4" lift, and THEN got a 3" BL...

And Blue, the gaps I was referring to are the ones that are inevitably created with a body lift, especially between your body and the frame in the rear wheel well, but also between the reese hitch and the bumper (if you have a reese hitch.)

Last edited by mastacox; 03-23-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:03 PM

Wow that was fast. I should have told you all that I have the Downey springs with the front cranked up to level the truck out. It is a 5 speed also. Which bumper are you refering too about the corners? I would like to be higher just because I can more than anything else. I wonder if 3 would look right and that was the reason for the post. Any links to good kits out there? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mastacox
Allow me to point out that BigBlue has a 4" lift, and THEN got a 3" BL...

And Blue, the gaps I was referring to are the ones that are inevitably created with a body lift, especially between your body and the frame in the rear wheel well, but also between the reese hitch and the bumper (if you have a reese hitch.)
Well using the word "horrific" was far fetched. The gap can be cleaned up with Lift Lips if you care about that thing. I personally did not and enjoy the lol "horrific" gaps. The Reese hitch will give you that "horrific" look in the back but the Hidden Hitch as I have will not. Blue
Old 03-23-2004, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roger Brown is the bodylift God and all around pleasent purveyor of Toy knowledge.

The rear bumper is attached to the body and will move with it. The front will need brackets or it will have a gap equal to the lift. I have a 1" bodylift and a resultant 1" gap with my ARB. Most people do not even notice.

If you just want to look big, throw on a 3" lift and stand tall.

If you have a tire size in mind, tell us so better advice can be given.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:25 PM

Wow that was fast. I should have told you all that I have the Downey springs with the front cranked up to level the truck out. It is a 5 speed also. Which bumper are you refering too about the corners? I would like to be higher just because I can more than anything else. I wonder if 3 would look right and that was the reason for the post. Any links to good kits out there? Thanks.
Here's the best body lift manufacturers web site link ERRR Bodylift GOD:http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml

Enjoy, Blue

Last edited by Yoter; 03-23-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:08 AM

just make sure you upgrade tire sizes as well or you will be lookin pretty skinny. After I got the 32s put on, Everything looked as it should. My 3"BL was no problem. Also remember to disconnect the steering shaft before lifting and pond liner makes great gap guards. Go For It. Good Luck.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Denk
just make sure you upgrade tire sizes as well or you will be lookin pretty skinny. After I got the 32s put on, Everything looked as it should.
That's for sure, especially with a 3" BL. I have a 2" BL and before my new tires it looked pretty goofy. I think 3" is too much body lift, 2" is as far as i'd go body then add some coil spacers ect... As far as good kits I used Performance Accessories, it came with all the brackets/extensions needed and good instructions too.
Also if you're just wanting more room for tires, I only have a 2" BL and Downey rear springs and I'm sittin pretty on 34's