Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3" Cornfed lift - has this ever happened to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3" Cornfed lift - has this ever happened to anyone?

I lifted my Tacoma using a 3" Cornfed spacer and because I'm such an idiot I installed it wrong and ended up having the OME lower spring seat "cup" upside down.

I don't recall having any issues with it when I put it in BUT taking it out I noticed that part of the wheel well was resting on one of the bolts of the shock tower!
The only way I could get it out was to use an open ended 17mm wrench while using a pry bar to lift the metal edge off the bolt!

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

To make it worse the prybar action I used just slightly bent the metal lip up so instead of resting on the bolt head it floats over it by just millimeters. Not a problem except that with every miniscule bump on the road I was having some god-awful rattling and squeaking coming from it!

I finally fixed it by wrapping up a nice wad of duct tape and putting it between the two. I'll most likely use a dremel and cut a nice hoop shape out.

I was just wondering if anyone else ran into a similar problem?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:17 AM

I guess I'm not gettin' the mental picture.

Got any digi pics? I've installed so many spacers, struts, lifts, on Tacomas I can almost do it sleepin' but for some reason, I don't understand ya. I must be tired!!!

At any rate, You fixed it using duct tape??? I don't think duct tape fixes anything. Just masks (pun intended, you know...masking tape bawahahahaha) it.

God I'm tired!!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, pics would help. I'm not clear on if you have flipped the cup so its not upside down any more or not.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SloPoke
At any rate, You fixed it using duct tape??? I don't think duct tape fixes anything. Just masks (pun intended, you know...masking tape bawahahahaha) it.
masks

anyway, I believe he was using the tape as a temporary fix for the annoying rattles his rig is making now. The dremel would be the real fix

T-Dude - I am third in line in saying I have no idea what you are talking 'bout Willis
Old 09-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

No pics, sorry guys!
One of the 3 bolts on the top of the shock tower is rubbing against the lip of metal of my wheel well (driver side). I think the extra length is what's responsible for the rubbing. The duct tape is definitely just hiding the problem - for now it just keeps the metal from rattling/screeching against metal.

I'll post pics when I'm getting ready to fix the problem.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Okay here's a quick MSPaint drawing...

The arrow shows where the body is rubbing against the shock tower - it's a cringing screeching and rattling sound I get with the most miniscule bumps on the road :pat:

Like I said, I'll probably use a dremel and just cut around that portion.
Attached Thumbnails 3" Cornfed lift - has this ever happened to anyone?-untitled.jpg  
Old 09-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Where's Robinhood when you need him... I bet he could visualize this!

Weeeelllll, is the cup upside down on both sides or just the DS? I'm not sure if the rubbing at the top would be due to the cup being upside down, or just the 3" spacer. I just ran out to look at mine and see if I could visualize this, and I'm still having problems. I'd think that with the cup upside down, the spring would be fitting over the cup, which I would consider a big safety issue. And if this was only on one side, I'd think you would also be off kilter left to right.

I'd get that flipped around asap, and if its still rubbing, call Roger for a body lift.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

If your coil is really at that angle, then you have bigger problems.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

SloPoke:
Sorry... had to add as an edit. Left it out the first time :pat:
Old 09-15-2004, 10:49 AM

I saw it right after posting so I deleted that post.

Phunny phunny!
Old 09-15-2004, 10:51 AM

The way I see it it don't matter how you install the coil/cup/strut/spacer as it fits inside the shock tower and will not make the tower closer to the fender or the fender closer to the tire.

Something else is amiss.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Tom:

Actually, I'm not focused on the cup now. It did give me the extra lift I was missing... the image is just the top portion
What I'm focused on is the top of the mount now. You can't really see if it you take a look at yours because that wheel well flap (can't think of the right word) is in the way. If you were to remove that you'd see the lip of the body. An RB lift would definitely fix that but with the CF lift my 32" muds already look small

Sorry for the confusion guys - just giving you more info than necessary and confusing the question I guess

I guess it really hasn't happened to many people...
Old 09-15-2004, 10:53 AM

Payyourtoll: I could of told ya you was a Jersian just by your handle. That's the only othert state with as many tpikes as we have here in Oklaturnpikecapitaloftheowrldhoma.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

The way I see it it don't matter how you install the coil/cup/strut/spacer as it fits inside the shock tower and will not make the tower closer to the fender or the fender closer to the tire.

Something else is amiss.
Really?
Hmmmm... on both sides I'm much closer. Could be the fact that I maxxed out at 3"
I take it by fender you mean the inner part facing the engine and not the outer part facing the flares... if you were to remove the flaps that protect the engine from road debris - you know the same one you're supposed to remove to reach the air filter, that's when the lip of the body is visible.

I'll see if I can draw another picture.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Pic

Borrow a camera and take a

Old 09-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Okay here we go:
Attached Thumbnails 3" Cornfed lift - has this ever happened to anyone?-untitled.jpg  
Old 09-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Well in any case, it would not be my first guess to think that the upside down cup was the cause of one of the upper shock bolts rubbing the body. I went outside again to take a look, and I can see the edge you're referring to. Maybe because when Steve and I did my OME's, he melted enough of the fender liner away with a drag light for me to see it. I would think the 3" spacer is what's behind it.

I would think that a 3" spacer could change the geometry of the upper arm enough to get it nice and close to the body. Again, we need Steve to bust out his book learnin' on spacers and springs.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Really?
Hmmmm... on both sides I'm much closer. Could be the fact that I maxxed out at 3"
I take it by fender you mean the inner part facing the engine and not the outer part facing the flares... if you were to remove the flaps that protect the engine from road debris - you know the same one you're supposed to remove to reach the air filter, that's when the lip of the body is visible.

I'll see if I can draw another picture.
I have 3.125" spacers and don't have that problem so I doubt it's from maxing the lift at 3".

Something else is amiss. The only time I've seen the fender touch the top of the tower is when a guy named ripper got about 12-14' of air. He hit so hard, it put the struts 3 bolt pattern in his inner fenders. Yup, somehow the fenders came down far enough on the landing to force the 3 bolt heads into the inner fender hard enough to leave a pattern.

Other than that happening, I have no idea why you rub there? Good question man!
Old 09-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

It is interesting but I have all the lift that I'm supposed to have with the spacer so...
Old 09-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Payyourtoll: I could of told ya you was a Jersian just by your handle. That's the only othert state with as many tpikes as we have here in Oklaturnpikecapitaloftheowrldhoma.

yeah, but even with all the interstates here, NJ drivers are the best drivers in the country, our insurance rates are proof of that!

Quick Reply: 3" Cornfed lift - has this ever happened to anyone?