Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4L AEM Brute Force Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4L AEM Brute Force Intake

First of all, I am glad to be here. This should be a great forum.

I did a search on the AEM Brute Force Intake, and only came up with talk about a 4cyl version.

Anyone heard or had experience with the 3.4L version? Take a look at the AEM website, they have a dyno chart on it, and claim 13 ft-lbs peak RWHP gain. That's pretty good.

http://www.aempower.com/trucks/brute_force_app.html

As you can see from my sig, I have done almost all the intake mods that are recommended. So, this post is really just out of curiousity. And this mod wouldnt be good for off-roaders, due to the K+N and "open" filter...

Here is the AEM listed on ebay. Its a bit spendy with a $20 shipping charge!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6764

Anyway, glad to be here! Let me know what you guys think...
Old 01-24-2003, 06:54 AM

Hey 98_limited,

What deckplate did you buy, and do you have any pictures of it installed or your installation process? Did you use the Beckson 6" Black?

Chris
Old 01-24-2003, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Nice lookin' Taco you got there, and it sounds like you already got a really nice start on mods.

The Brute Force Intake does look nice, its really similar to the Injen-brand intake. With the deckplate, Silencer Removal, and the amsoil air filter already done (I have these, as well!), I really doubt that a whole new intake would be any better that your current set-up. Plus, as you mentioned, when you go off road, you can still just put in the deck plate for added piece of mind. Although, for those with K&N-style air filters, they do make an oiled-foam pre-filter thats supposed to help a bunch.

Thanks for sharing the link. I am sure the Brute force would be a decent alternative for those who do not wish to cut holes for deckplates, etc.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Deckplate

To be honest, I didnt pay attention to the manufacturer. I went to a marine store in Chandler, AZ, and Low and Behold, there was a black 6" deckplate.

I actually bought it not realizing that the "norm" is 4".

Anyway, I will take a look at the plate itself this weekend. I will also snap some digital pics, and post them here next week.

Its funny cause I always wondered why everyone's deckplate mod was smaller than mine!

Stay tuned!
Old 01-24-2003, 07:04 AM

Thanks! I look forward to your pictures.

Chris
Old 01-24-2003, 09:08 AM
Away

Hi and Welcome to the forums!

I think the AEM/Injen intakes are ok if you didn't know about the other mods and if you weren't going to go off-road. After researching everything I could on intakes for our trucks, the only intake I would consider putting on mine would be a Volant. However, they are only for the 99-02 models, so it wouldn't apply to you older guys. They replace the entire airbox/intake tubing system and draw air in thru the fender well much like the stock system but without the restrictive elbow.

Anyway, once I developed the ISR Mod, I put thoughts of Aftermarket Intake Kits to rest forever. We even had a guy from an Intake company post here about making a "New" intake system for our trucks and once we showed him the ISR and Deckplate mod, he never came back. His intake would basically have been the ISR mod, except he would want around $200 for it. Yeah, whatever. :rolleyes:

I think that the ISR/DeckPlate combo is as good as anything an Intake company could come up with. Maybe my opinion is slightly biased, but if you were to compare the results on a Dyno, I doubt you'd see any difference.

That's my .02
Dr. Z
Old 01-24-2003, 09:11 AM

98_Limited,

Welcome to the forum. I just let you know one thing about using this forum. DON'T LISTEN TO DR. Z! He's an old geezer who doesn't know the first thing about cars.

J/K. Listen to him, he'll give you some really useful info.

Welcome again.

Dave

Last edited by prolax13; 01-24-2003 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:21 AM
Away

I just let you know one thing about using this forum. DON'T LISTEN TO DR. Z! He's an old geezer who doesn't know the first thing about cars.
Shut Up Punk!

I came back here to add to my previous post.

Here's a shot of the product made by that Intake Manufacturer I mentioned. They're call Pro Lex Performance:

As you can see, it's nothing more that a silencer removal and air filter replacement. AND they want over $200!

Here's another shot of it installed on the car:

http://www.prolexperformance.com/nav...w/plp_sfi1.jpg

It's on a Lexus IS300. I bet the poor guys who own thoe cars and buy that product never knew what hit them. You could make a tube for that a lot cheaper than what they want for it. Oh well...

Peace.
Dr. Z
Old 01-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

i am real curious f this silencer removal mod can be performed on a t100 with the 3.4 L , any other info about this is found in this forum somehwere isnt it ?

eirk b of oregon
Old 01-24-2003, 09:40 AM
Away

Originally posted by airrikk17
i am real curious f this silencer removal mod can be performed on a t100 with the 3.4 L , any other info about this is found in this forum somehwere isnt it ?

eirk b of oregon
Hey, take a look at the ISR Mod Article. It is several pages long, so be sure to read all of it. The intake tubing is bound to be similar enough so that you can adapt the mod to your needs. I'd be willing to bet the intake tubing on yours is going to be the same as the 96-98 4Runners or the Tacos.

Good Luck!

Let us know how it works out for you.

Dr. Z
Old 01-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

dr. z

i think my set up is the same as the 96 to 98 set up you have listed . im going to read your article some more and see for sure

is there any dis advatages to this mod ? lower gas milage ? chance of it breaking down ?

erik b of oregon
Attached Thumbnails 3.4L AEM Brute Force Intake-3.4t10001.jpg  
Old 01-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

ISR mod

Thanks for all the input guys. I can see people here know what they are talking about (of course, I have only been here for a day)

Dr. Z: I "tried out" the ISR mod over a year ago, and was deterred by what I thought was pinging. This will sound REALLY GHETTO, but gatorade caps fit in the J-pipe as well as the IS "port." So, my guess is I didnt have the FPR vacuum hose hooked up correctly It was hooked up to a T, but the gatorade cap (that sounds bad) was not sealed perfectly.

Anyway, after reading your informative write-up, I am going to try the mod again, but this time with the proper end caps, and Premium Fuel.

I just loved the roar of the intake at WOT with the ISR!

Keep up the good work.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:25 AM

More available air is going to induce pinging until the ECU relearns what's going on, I think! I think you can reset the ECU, but I'm not sure how or where to look.

Chris
Old 01-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone looking to upgrade their induction should look at this...

http://www.gadgetonline.com/airinduction.htm
Old 01-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

well you all aresaving me a lot of money , i was going to buy the downey air sytem that uses the kandn filter , but now i have seen these other mods that seem to do the same or better for a ton less money .
ive got a qeustion about the pipe used , can it pretty much be any type of pipe . i think i can get my hands on some 2.5 inch EMT pipe used for installed cable in side buildings . if i can find some the right diameter , im thinking using it would work .
the hole on the air box thing has got me inspired , does anyone have any pics of the hole with and without the plate in place ? i wanna see how everyone else has done this .
i might get into a sitaution where i could cross some water , and i wanna make sure i do it the right way so i can replace as needed.

thanks for al lyour suggestions

erik b of oregon
Old 01-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

neveer mind a found what i was looking for .

thanks to all for the help

erik b of oregon
Old 01-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
More available air is going to induce pinging until the ECU relearns what's going on, I think! I think you can reset the ECU, but I'm not sure how or where to look.

Chris
Pull the ECU fuse for 15 min, put it back in. Done!

You can also just disconnect the battery for 15 min, but you will have to reset the radio presets and clock if you do that. Fuse is easier...
Old 01-24-2003, 11:46 AM

DR. ZHIVAGO = OLD FART
Old 01-24-2003, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by denverbikeguy
Pull the ECU fuse for 15 min, put it back in. Done!
To add a footnote... It's the fuse under the hood in the black distribution box just behind the battery. It's not either of the "looks like this could be it!" fuses in the dash panel.

That had me confused for a while...
Old 01-25-2003, 10:36 PM

Just curious,

Someone set something about "getting" the deckplate mod. Is someone selling pre-filters to mount to the inside of the box, or is it just the sliding piece to put in when off-roading? I have small holes drilled right now, but would like to just get the complete deckplate set-up.

Quick Reply: 3.4L AEM Brute Force Intake