Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4L 4Runner Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4L 4Runner Brakes

I recently went to the stealership to have my rear shocks installed and have my front brakes checked because they squeal something awful.

I removed the tires and checked the rotors and pads and there is plent of rotor and pad. The brakes work fine though every now and then they seem to grab a little more.

Anyhow I was told that my rotors need to be turned (which is what they always say) and the pads need to be replaced.

I was told that they are glazed (whatever that means).

How do brakes get glazed? What does the glaze look like?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

- Frederick
Old 07-08-2003, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

What year is it, how many miles and what kind of driving and/or towing do you do?

These might help the "Brains" here give you some direction.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Glazing is caused from excessive heat on the rotors. Its essentially a foreign "film" that is now bonded to the rotor, significantly reducing brake performance and often inducing squeal.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:22 AM

I'm not a fan of riding the brakes and driving very moderately.

After I took it to the dealership It didn't squeal for about 2 days then it was back again.

I ordered the TRD HP Pads and planned on letting them turn the rotors I just don't want to end up back where I started after all the added expense.

Is turning the rotors the only way to get the glazing off?

Is there anything else I should look for on the rotors, pads, etc... ?

I'll be taking the tires off again soon and thought I would ask.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

I had a friend of mine tell me that a cheap trick for resurfacing rotors was to just sand it yourself. 80 grit sandpaper with a power sander and just make your own swilrs.

I'm not convinced though. Seems a bit shady...
Old 07-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by frederickg
I ordered the TRD HP Pads and planned on letting them turn the rotors I just don't want to end up back where I started after all the added expense.

Is turning the rotors the only way to get the glazing off?

Is there anything else I should look for on the rotors, pads, etc... ?
Turning the rotors and replacing the pads will solve the problem. The only thing I would do, is jack it up and turn each wheel in the front. Make sure each turns freely, and that the calipers are not causing the pads to lightly touch the rotors. Something else to have the dealer check is the LPV. The Load Proportioning Valve decides how much rear braking is needed based on load. If that gets out of whack, or the rear brakes are in need of adjustment, the front brakes could be getting too hot because they are doing most of the work (more than normal).
Old 07-08-2003, 11:31 AM
TOR

TRD Pads

Save yourself some money next time and just order the regular pads, there isn't much difference except in price.

Todd
Old 07-08-2003, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Re: TRD Pads

Originally posted by TOR
Save yourself some money next time and just order the regular pads, there isn't much difference except in price.

Todd
I hope your manager isn't reading your posts.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:12 PM
TOR

TRD Parts

Well I am an honest parts man and we barely make .2 to the dollar on the TRD parts. As for my manager he knows the way we roll here, he heads it up!

Todd
Old 07-08-2003, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year is your rig? How many miles? Mine is a 99 and I remember a TSB issued in Dec 2000 concerning brake vibration on the 3rd gens. I talked to Toyota corporate and they set me up with Arlington Toyota of Jacksonville to have the brakes inspected. My steering wheel used to vibrate/shake when braking at 35-45 mph. They found the fronts and rears warped due to the uneven braking. They wanted to just resurface it but I insisted in getting it replaced. They adjusted the front and rear bias and also replaced the rotors/pads and drums/shoes. So far no vibration at all eversince. Check this out. Hope this helps.

george
Old 07-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Re: 3.4L 4Runner Brakes

Originally posted by frederickg

I recently went to the stealership to have my rear shocks installed and have my front brakes checked because they squeal something awful.

I removed the tires and checked the rotors and pads and there is plent of rotor and pad. The brakes work fine though every now and then they seem to grab a little more.

Anyhow I was told that my rotors need to be turned (which is what they always say) and the pads need to be replaced.

I was told that they are glazed (whatever that means).

How do brakes get glazed? What does the glaze look like?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

- Frederick
Pull them off and run an orbital sander with, oh, say, 100 grit sand paper on both sides of it. that should take care of the glaze. I would think twice about shaving them, they will get thinner and be more apt to warp.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:48 PM

Does turning rotors make sense if they are $25 a pop brand new? Just seems like the labor is so much greater than the little extra for brand new rotors, might as well get new ones.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Where will you get rotors for $25 each?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Something else to have the dealer check is the LPV. The Load Proportioning Valve decides how much rear braking is needed based on load. If that gets out of whack, or the rear brakes are in need of adjustment, the front brakes could be getting too hot because they are doing most of the work (more than normal).
The '98's don't have the LSPV's.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4RUNR
Does turning rotors make sense if they are $25 a pop brand new? Just seems like the labor is so much greater than the little extra for brand new rotors, might as well get new ones.
Where in the world did you find them for 25 bucks brand new?~!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2003, 06:16 PM

Hmm, I remember surfing the web before even getting the 4Runner and found plain jane rotors for 25.99 or 26.99. Autozone probably has them pretty cheap too.

In my experiance rotors warped when they were well worn, so replacing them is more economical than doing it again in the future.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4RUNR
Hmm, I remember surfing the web before even getting the 4Runner and found plain jane rotors for 25.99 or 26.99. Autozone probably has them pretty cheap too.

In my experiance rotors warped when they were well worn, so replacing them is more economical than doing it again in the future.
Those will last you about as long as it takes to install them.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

i use 100 gritt on my downhill mtn bikes rotors and then use alchole(sp?) on it and dont touch them.
on the pads start in the center and pull away towards the edge of the pads. hopethis helps
Old 07-09-2003, 04:45 AM
TOR

Autozone

OHHHHHH Autozone, why am I not surprised. You get what you pay for in parts.

Todd
Old 07-09-2003, 05:30 AM

Are you guys just rambling or what? Autzone had Brembo OEM replacement for under $50 too. Autozone is hardly a store selling 2nd rate parts, and prices to challenge mail order too!

Quick Reply: 3.4L 4Runner Brakes