Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4 Knock only at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 Knock only at Idle

Okay first of all I have read all the forums/watched all the youtube videos and nobody seems to have quite the same issue as me.
Here it is: 1997 3.4 Auto with 200k. Sounds like a dull thudding kind of, and its a little bit random, sort of like a bearing is loose. But the knock goes away around 1200 rpm, and not just because it is drowned out by the other noises. It actually goes away completely. It is not a flexplate issue, It stays the same regardless of transmission position. If I put it in drive and give it a little gas and brake to put a load on the engine it also goes away. The noise is most noticeable underneath the engine at idle and when it's warm its the most noticeable. I showed a Toyota master tech (not at work) and he just kinda shrugged it off and said "Just drive it" but this is my only vehicle and it has 200k, noises like this make me not want to trust it. It sounds like a wrist pin or maybe piston slap? It has made this noise for the last 10k and hasn't gotten any better or worse.

Here it is:

Last edited by Timyota100; 11-28-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Added a video
Old 11-29-2016, 12:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You have gone over the vehicle making sure nothing is loose that just happens to vibrate with the engine rpm??

Like the Crank pulley coming loose .

Are you losing oil pressure ??

I don`t drive vehicles without a oil pressure gauge

Your 100% positive it is not a loose flexplate or torque converter bolt

Been driving like this for 10,000 miles and it has not spun a bearing .or had a major failure

Unless you want to spend lots of money pulling the engine and rebuilding things .

Keep driving it or buy another vehicle or rebuild every thing and hope it cures the issue
Old 11-29-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boy, that doesn't sound good. Rod or bearing issue sounds like to me. I'd keep driving it locally, not on any long trips though.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You have gone over the vehicle making sure nothing is loose that just happens to vibrate with the engine rpm??

Like the Crank pulley coming loose .

Are you losing oil pressure ??

I don`t drive vehicles without a oil pressure gauge

Your 100% positive it is not a loose flexplate or torque converter bolt

Been driving like this for 10,000 miles and it has not spun a bearing .or had a major failure

Unless you want to spend lots of money pulling the engine and rebuilding things .

Keep driving it or buy another vehicle or rebuild every thing and hope it cures the issue
Crank pulley is not loose, thought it might be that but when I changed the water pump and timing belt and components (pulling the harmonic balancer in the process) the sound remained the same.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
Boy, that doesn't sound good. Rod or bearing issue sounds like to me. I'd keep driving it locally, not on any long trips though.
Thats what initial thought was too, but I've been listening to this sound for the past 10k miles and it only happens at warm idle. You would think a bearing failure such as this would show itself in that amount of time...
Old 12-05-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any new information? I'd just run some 10w-40 oil (if it's not too cold here) and keep driving it.