Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4 experts needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 experts needed!

Wifes 99 runner toasted a woodruff key on the crank, bbut didn't damage the crank, told her to not touch it when she herd the rattling, thank goodness she listened. Anyway My problem is that i had to replace the crank timing gear because it broke when pulling it off with the gear puller. The old one had teeth on the backside of it, the new one didn't. I called toyota and they said they ordered one for a 99, and i was pretty sure they did also. I asked a tech there if it would mess it up or throw a code on the ecu without the teeth, he said that it shouldn't.

So i put it all back together with new belts, ect.... And turns over perfect, but not a sputter or a start at all, nothing.

Would not having the teeth on that gear do that? I have done a timing belt on a 3.0 and a 3.4 before. So im not new to it and everything was lined up properly.

Also on the new crank timing gear the allignment indent on the face of the gear wasn't in the right position, i compared it to the old one.

Any help would be incredible! Im going in tomarow to toyota to rip someones head off, i just spent 2 hours re-installing everything.

Last edited by 1993YotaRunner; 12-28-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the teeth behind the fly wheel are what tells the ecm when to fire the crank sensor senses that the tooth goes by and tells the ecm.

the cam sensor tells the ecm that the engine is at top dead center.

once the ecm knows where tdc is then it will know what coil to fire when a tooth is sensed.

this is an essential piece you may be able to get at the junk yard.
However the crank fly wheel and the timing wheel "for lack of the proper terminology" are not connected to one another until the bolt presses them together at least on mine they weren't. so if you order the crank fly wheel then the teeth will not be present. it is a separate part.

OOPS EDIT!!! I was thinking fly wheel not gear!! I would believe that you must mark the timing mark in the same place on the new gear as the old gear and use this for timing and this should actually be your issue. simply the timing marks do not match the TDC of the engine. So when the ECM senses the previously stated timing wheel and tells the coil to fire the cylinder may actually be on the exhaust stroke or in the middle some where.

Have you made this mark and used for the alignment of the timing belt??
When you do make sure to use a punch so in the future you will know where it is. some white paint and a drill bit would work best drill a good little indent in the gear where the one on the old gear is and put paint in it so it is clear which to use.

mine did not have teeth.
is your engine definitely original?? not from an earlier or later model??

Last edited by eddieleephd; 12-28-2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: miss thought
Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
check the production date. May still be a 98, or may be considered a 00. Just tell the guy behind the counter you need one with the teath! bring in your old one if you can. Also check to make sure the crank sensor is not damaged or make sure its pluged in for that matter! Also make sure you lock tite and use a new bolt for the crank pulley!!! But as previously stated, needs the crank signal to run. No teeth, no signal, no start.

Last edited by vital22re; 12-28-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfect, thanks guys. Yea no teeth is definently the problem. I got a new crank bolt and woodruff key, i didn't want to take any chances. But now that i have locktighted it and torqued it, i bet its going to be a bear to get off again! I guess thats a good thing right?

Ill update when i get finished.

BTW: amost have my Solid axle under the 93 runner, Wife gave me the go ahead to do her 99 as well as of yesturday!!! Just have to get it running again.

Thanks again guys.