Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0L V6 Engine Clatter

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0L V6 Engine Clatter

How can I get rid of engine clatter without using higher grade
gasoline. I am using 87 octane now. The timing is at factory specs. Thanks for any advise.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you referring to knocking. If so then I would go to the next higher grade. I use 89 octane myself. I would not use an octane booster. If the 89 works then you will have to give up the few extra pennies, it is worth it.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

If not, you can do an intake/ fuel injector cleaner service from a local dealership. They run fluid through your injectors and intake and this helps remove the carbon buildup around your pistons, valves, heads, etc. It works somewhat but doesn't remove everything. Otherwise, I remember from another post, because of age, sometimes as a truck/car gets older, it will require the higher octane because of the buildup. Costs about $90, but probably can get it less.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:39 AM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you really think the "ping" is due to intake deposits?

Jay
Old 12-27-2002, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jay
you really think the "ping" is due to intake deposits?

Jay
From my standpoint, no. It could be incorrect timing, poor spark plugs, dirty intake, etc. I don't too much about engine repairs yet, but the way the carbon buildups around heads, pistons, etc, it limits the way lower octane effectively burns and some how higher octane helps but only for so long. That's why i suggest a cleanout of the injectors and intake.

Hey Jay, let me ask you something, my local college has a "T-ten" program, but I don't wanna make it my career, but is it possible to go through the program and work only for a short amount of time. I like working on vehicles, and that's why I am taking normal auto ASE tech classes, but I don't wanna make it an everyday thing, if you know what I mean. More over for a weekend deal, and this is gonna help me when I take on a restore project one day. I only wish they had a detail class, I sure suck at that :pat: Thanks man!
Old 12-27-2002, 11:35 AM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a graduate of the Toyota T-Ten program. The one I had attended was exceptional. Like any program, its dependant upon the instructor, if its going to worthwide to attend.

Sure you could take the classes ( 2 years worth ). The credits count toward a buissness management degree (AS). I myself only completed the toyota training part. They may have since integrated the college basics since I was a student. Meaning you cant recieve toyota certification credit until you finish with the remaining college courses. However, If you had those courses previously completed, you would be in great shape. These courses are just general english, math and stuff. Typical Associates degree stuff.

As for the pinging....Im trying to recall if a lean condition can cause it. Lean conditions will cause greater combustion temperature, which is one of the sources for ping. So I suppose it would, however I have never diagnosed a "ping" to a dirty intake system. I have used many "Intake system cleaners" and I have only noticed one thing as a result, a stinky ass car. I have removed an intake off a vehicle that had a few of these cleanings performed at our own shop. I will admit the intake system was cleaner than usual, however far from what its advertised to do. Alot of times, it causes the Check Engine light to come on due to a detected misfire, or O2 sensor malfunction. Which is a major pain in the ass for the customer to return for that inspection.

All in all, if I was diagnosing a vehicle with a "pre-ignition" condition, I would first start at inspecting the EGR system. The EGR system is designed to reduce combustion temperature in result lowering NOx emission gases. As a side benifit you also relieve one of the major causes to "pre-ignition".

Common terms for "Ping":
Pre-Detonation
Pre-Ignition
Ping
Spark knock
and im sure there are more

Jay
Old 12-27-2002, 12:16 PM

Mo's solution is best place to start

Carbon build up increases compression. I would first run a can or two of something like BG44K. If that doesn't work then look at the EGR system.