Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 V6 leaking oil, dieseling, idling rough

Old 01-30-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 V6 leaking oil, dieseling, idling rough

I was delighted to find this forum, with such informed experts. I have a '91 Xtra cab 5-speed truck with engine problems. It has a pretty significant oil leak, I can see rows of droplets on my driveway where the truck was moving, and a big stain where the truck is parked. I am using perhaps 2 quarts of oil every 200-300 miles of driving. The engine also will not idle well. It will cut off at stoplights if I don't keep the rpms up, and it has a tendency to diesel at lower rpms. Obviously I have to have the leak fixed, but do you think the engine can be repaired without a complete overhaul? It has about 160,000 miles on it, and the truck has been the best vehicle I have ever had. What does an overhaul cost on a standard transmission 3.0 engine? Is it best to go to Toyota for this work to maximize reliability? I live in Greenville SC.

Thanks for any ideas!
b.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BeninSC
I was delighted to find this forum, with such informed experts. I have a '91 Xtra cab 5-speed truck with engine problems. It has a pretty significant oil leak, I can see rows of droplets on my driveway where the truck was moving, and a big stain where the truck is parked. I am using perhaps 2 quarts of oil every 200-300 miles of driving. The engine also will not idle well. It will cut off at stoplights if I don't keep the rpms up, and it has a tendency to diesel at lower rpms. Obviously I have to have the leak fixed, but do you think the engine can be repaired without a complete overhaul? It has about 160,000 miles on it, and the truck has been the best vehicle I have ever had. What does an overhaul cost on a standard transmission 3.0 engine? Is it best to go to Toyota for this work to maximize reliability? I live in Greenville SC.

Thanks for any ideas!
b.
Greetings and Welcome,
Your 3.0 is just getting broken in! 1st off let me to tell you to be advised that if you go to the "stealership" to have your 3.0 overhauled it's going to cost you an arm, a leg and another arm!! Now, with that being said: If you are considering an overhaul, find yourself a good reputable shop, inquire, ask around and get estimates! Now, your problems at hand: You need to find out where that oil leak is coming from, it could be a cam seal, crank seal, rear main seal ... and the list goes on. Try to find out where it's coming from, the rear, front, pass. side...! The best advice I can give you is to have it steam cleaned and you should be able to find out where it's coming from.
Now, your stalling problem and low idle: when's the last time you had a tune-up, it could be as simple as that or just need to turn the idle up, or it could be your TPS all to common. See if you have any codes, under your hood next to your fuse box there's a diagnostic connector, jump the "te" & "e1" with a paperclip, turn your ignition to "on" but do not start, Look at your dash, if the check engine flashes real fast you have no codes and that's great, but if you have a code it will flash the 1st part like this ** short pause and the the second part *, meaning a code 21, there then will be a long pause and it will either go onto the next code or keep repeating that code. 10-4?
here's the list of what the codes mean: http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html

Take care and the best of luck with your 3.0!!!

Last edited by nunsa; 01-30-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:05 PM

With 160k miles - I'd diagnose the oil leak (Probably the valve cover gaskets) - or one of the main seals (or all of the above).

Then pull a compression check and see if it is worth fixing.

If you aren't a do it yourselfer (or have a friend) I'd scrap it and cut my losses. You should be able to find a newer replacement that runs well for what a rebuild is going to cost you.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:31 AM

Thank you Radrex and Nunsa for your insightful replies! I am not a do-it-yourselfer, so the trick is finding the right non-dealer person to check out the engine. I am supposed to see a guy tomorrow about it, so I have my fingers crossed. If I cannot interpret what this fellow tells me, I am sure I will be back to ask your opinions! Much appreciated!

b.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Banned

If you can tell us where the leak was comming from, we could be a lot more specific in helping you prior to you taking it to a mechanic. That leak may or may not be the root of all evils. It also may be fixable with $20 and a few tools rather then handing it over to a mechanic and paying for labor. Trace that leak and get back with us!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:52 AM

Welcome aboard!

Drop a V8 in it. It can be done with this model, can't it?