Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 turbo 4runner on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 turbo 4runner on ebay

what do you guys think about the fab work on this 'runner? i'm not sure i'd want my turbo that close to the brake master.... pretty cool though, haven't ever seen anything like it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Last edited by rivercat; 04-30-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

sweet!

Nice rig! Not a bad price either for the ammount of work done to it... I agree about the turbo too and it would scare me to run my 3.0 with any boost! Nice rig though..
Old 04-30-2005, 11:51 AM
DMG

Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
Nice rig! Not a bad price either for the ammount of work done to it... I agree about the turbo too and it would scare me to run my 3.0 with any boost! Nice rig though..
I talked to this guy(I think, not many turbo 3.0s running around his area) a couple of years ago about turboing my 3.0 and he seemed to really know what he was doing. I think he lost one HG on it a while back but I am not sure it was turbo related. He was only running ~6 psi.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

I don't understand what this is:

Anybody know?
Old 04-30-2005, 02:55 PM

It looks like an electric fan to cool the turbo and keep that part of the engine compt. from overheating.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I don't understand what this is:

Anybody know?
Not sure, but what the rest of the guys were talking about the heat near the master cylinder, which shouldn't really be a problem, but it looks like a fan to pull heat away from the turbo.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
wait wait....$7500 for a Turbo 3.slo? hahaha. NO thanks. Ill stick to my trusty 22re for that much money. With some of the tacky lookin welds and schtick? And over 200k miles to boot? Noooo thanks.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:02 PM

I've wheeled with that rig. It's VERY capable, he has a lot more than just the turbo into that truck, it's SAS'd with TRD electric lockers retrofitted in BOTH axles, custom bumpers/sliders, and he recently put in a Marlin Crawler. He knew what he was doing when he built it.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Staff

la, ah-di dah. Its still a crappy motor that cant really handle boost, has head gasket issues, no power, no torque, etc etc.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
la, ah-di dah. Its still a crappy motor that cant really handle boost, has head gasket issues, no power, no torque, etc etc.
in your opinion... which is based off of what? How many 3vze's have you boosted?

I know of 2 other 3vze's, one of which is running 17psi and has been for quite a while (15,000+,) without issues. No power? Think again - the 4.3L of that time had 160hp and 220 tq. Pretty damn close. Headgaskets were dealt with in '95 so thats not a valid excuse either.

Speaking of a lack of torque how about your beloved 22re and its and their wonderful timing chain guides?? Or did you forget that the 22re produces LESS horsepower and torque than the 3vze and that is includeing the 22ret. Or the fact that a properly maintained 3vze will last JUST as long as any 22re on the road? 259,000 miles on origional headgaskets here driven like it was stolen since 60,000...

So why are you trying to poo poo this guys auction? Did he out crawl you somewhere or did his 3vze suck the doors off of your 22re'ed on the road somewhere?

The 3vze is NOT the best engine made, unlike a 2jz-gte or LS1, but it IS a good motor and lives up to the toyota namesake.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 05-02-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:42 PM
DMG

You talk a lot of ลลลล. Would you like to hook up rear bumpers and pull against my weak 230k 3.0?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hope that turbo has near zero lag because i wouldnt want to be crawling up a hill and have the turbo spin up...it doesnt look like too big of turbo so it probably spins up real quick.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
in your opinion... which is based off of what? How many 3vze's have you boosted?

I know of 2 other 3vze's, one of which is running 17psi and has been for quite a while (15,000+,) without issues. No power? Think again - the 4.3L of that time had 160hp and 220 tq. Pretty damn close. Headgaskets were dealt with in '95 so thats not a valid excuse either.

Speaking of a lack of torque how about your beloved 22re and its and their wonderful timing chain guides?? Or did you forget that the 22re produces LESS horsepower and torque than the 3vze and that is includeing the 22ret. Or the fact that a properly maintained 3vze will last JUST as long as any 22re on the road? 259,000 miles on origional headgaskets here driven like it was stolen since 60,000...

So why are you trying to poo poo this guys auction? Did he out crawl you somewhere or did his 3vze suck the doors off of your 22re'ed on the road somewhere?

The 3vze is NOT the best engine made, unlike a 2jz-gte or LS1, but it IS a good motor and lives up to the toyota namesake.

damn somebody just got told... lol My friend just got his 1st toy, its a 88 3.0 and it runs pretty damn well! i was surprised the how well it did run. a lot better than my 22re!
Old 05-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by retardedspleen
Quote:

damn somebody just got told... lol My friend just got his 1st toy, its a 88 3.0 and it runs pretty damn well! i was surprised the how well it did run. a lot better than my 22re!
yes they are a damn good motor I dont care what people say.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That can't be a good thing to have the turbo exhaust manifold so close to the brake cylinder. Yes, brake fluid can handle high temps but remember there are seals in there too which aren't designed to operate in the same temp range because they were not expected to get that hot (ie they are quite far from the rotors where the heat is typically produced).

I think the first guy did a better job on insulation from heat:
(you can see the guy who owns the one on ebay at the end of the thread)
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ight=3vz+turbo
Old 05-03-2005, 09:33 AM

I do agree with you that the 3.0 isn't the best of engines but it's still a Toy. It may not be the most effecient or powerful thing but anything that can take 225K miles of abuse and still run as strong as the day you bought it is pretty damn good IMO.

I was commenting on how well built this truck was OTHER THAN the turbo, I personally couldn't care less that it has turbo, I was more impressed with the suspension and armor he built
Old 05-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by DMG
You talk a lot of ลลลล. Would you like to hook up rear bumpers and pull against my weak 230k 3.0?
The 4Runner I have listed in my sig is not the only Toyota I own. I'll hook my 3.0 up to yours, and we can waggle our cocks around seeing who is the bigger man.

I figured people on here would take offence blah blah blah. I own a 3.0, and have worked no less than 50 of these motors at work. I have seen the entire spectrum of things that can go wrong with them, and what they can handle. 15k miles on a turbo is nothing.

The 3.slow by itself, is fairly reliable. I never had any major problems. 22R's have problems, just like any motor will have problems. The 3VZ had head gasket recall through its ENTIRE production run. AND, the 5vz-fe had a recall campaign in 96 and 97, so obviously they DIDN"T solve the problem. And while we are on reliabilty....how about the cams problems that the 3vz had? or the head problems...that DIDN"T involve the head gaskets? And how about the fan support that always went out? How about the injector problem..ie the engine ran too lean. Those things ALWAYS have burned valves.

22r's had...timing chains. Which you really can't compare to, since you should replace a timing chain just the same as you replace a timing belt on the 3VZ...its called mantinence.

If someone wants to turbo a 3.0, go ahead, i aint stoppin ya. Im just trying to understand why anyone would dump so much money into a mod like that, to gain a negligable amount of performance coupled to a questionable amount of reliablity.

Toyotas are the only way to go, and I;ve always said that. Im just less than impressed with their 3.0 engine.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:05 AM
DMG

No cock waggling here, thanks I was busting your balls for unneccesarily putting down a good motor. As for the turbo mod, the guy did not spend a fortune on it. You can do it for under a grand.(he also turbo'ed a Miata, btw). I have exchanged emails with him about turboing my 3.0 and he has been very helpful.
I have a mitsubishi turbo sitting on the workbench waiting on a rebuild and some other parts before I start to test fit it. If it blows up my 230k mile 3.0, I will rebuild the 3.0 core I bought a couple of years ago or buy a 3.4.

The 4Runner I have listed in my sig is not the only Toyota I own. I'll hook my 3.0 up to yours, and we can waggle our cocks around seeing who is the bigger man.

I figured people on here would take offence blah blah blah. I own a 3.0, and have worked no less than 50 of these motors at work. I have seen the entire spectrum of things that can go wrong with them, and what they can handle. 15k miles on a turbo is nothing.

The 3.slow by itself, is fairly reliable. I never had any major problems. 22R's have problems, just like any motor will have problems. The 3VZ had head gasket recall through its ENTIRE production run. AND, the 5vz-fe had a recall campaign in 96 and 97, so obviously they DIDN"T solve the problem. And while we are on reliabilty....how about the cams problems that the 3vz had? or the head problems...that DIDN"T involve the head gaskets? And how about the fan support that always went out? How about the injector problem..ie the engine ran too lean. Those things ALWAYS have burned valves.

22r's had...timing chains. Which you really can't compare to, since you should replace a timing chain just the same as you replace a timing belt on the 3VZ...its called mantinence.

If someone wants to turbo a 3.0, go ahead, i aint stoppin ya. Im just trying to understand why anyone would dump so much money into a mod like that, to gain a negligable amount of performance coupled to a questionable amount of reliablity.

Toyotas are the only way to go, and I;ve always said that. Im just less than impressed with their 3.0 engine.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not trying to be arguementative or a dick or offend you, but rather just talk to ya....

The 3.slow by itself, is fairly reliable. I never had any major problems. 22R's have problems, just like any motor will have problems. The 3VZ had head gasket recall through its ENTIRE production run. AND, the 5vz-fe had a recall campaign in 96 and 97, so obviously they DIDN"T solve the problem.
You are forgetting that the 5vz-fe does not share the same headgasket as the 3vze....

And while we are on reliabilty....how about the cams problems that the 3vz had? or the head problems...that DIDN"T involve the head gaskets? And how about the fan support that always went out? How about the injector problem..ie the engine ran too lean. Those things ALWAYS have burned valves.
Granted, I am NO expert, but I've never heard of those issues, and I lurk on a LOT of toyota boards and have for quite a while. I would think that those problems would have cropped up elsewhere. It almost sounds like we are talking about different engines?

I have 258k miles on my stock injectors and when I sent them in to be flow tested and cleaned they were either within oem specs or less than 1% out. Typically my 3vze runs pigass rich. What cam problems? Fan support? Seriously do tell, I'm curious.

40+ hp for a 600dollar expediture (if that) sounds pretty dang good. The only issue that comes up is reliability.... Thus far the turbo'ed 3vze's have been doing ok....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 05-05-2005 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 3.0 turbo 4runner on ebay