Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 head gasket

Yep its my turn...saw the drops coming out the tailpipe and started puffing the steam. Plus it runs pretty rough. So I figured this is my DD and noone will pay me jack for a 4runner with a junked up motor I've decided to get another remanufactured 3.0. Anyone got any good leads on reputable places to buy remanufactured 3.0's? I've heard some of them can be a rip off and thats the last thing I need now. Done with the searching for 3 hours...so that advice won't help Also I'm planning this as a weekend project for a budget of around $3,000 if that helps...and is this doable with all the air tools and engine hoist in 1 weekend and would it be easier to pull the tranny with or without the motor? Any help would be appreciated....
Old 08-20-2005, 12:42 AM

Why not just replace the HG? You can do it for under $300 yourself. I just don't see the point in replacing the whole engine.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Because I know as soon as I just replace the head gasket then something will happen like a valve will screw up or my oil pump go out or.....if it can happen then it will happen to me! If its new then that eases my mind a little better plus it would be good to go for a while. Then maybe I could start saving instead of dumping money into it left and right when it breaks down. Plus the motor has over 220,000 miles on it now...
Old 08-20-2005, 05:57 AM

replace the head gasket then buy my 4runner!!!!
Old 08-20-2005, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not do a short block then? Why screw around with putting a different engine in there? And while you're at it huck some headers and an exhaust on that badboy and you'll be laughing.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Why not do a short block then? Why screw around with putting a different engine in there? And while you're at it huck some headers and an exhaust on that badboy and you'll be laughing.
I just want everything to be a fresh new start because ever since i bought it I have had the hood up trying to fix something mechanical so it would be a reliable DD as well as something to fix up once I got past the mechanical issues.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:46 AM

buy mine, put the money into the motor in mine and use it as your dd
Old 08-20-2005, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Well I would but that would cost me $6,000 instead of the $3,000 I'm looking at plus the old lady can't drive a stick.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd imagine a shortblock rebuild would be a lot cheaper than the reman right? And with that cost will have money left over for other things should they need fixing IE Rad, tranny work, diff, etc. If you can descent short block rebuild it'll go for a long time with no issues.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
I'd imagine a shortblock rebuild would be a lot cheaper than the reman right? And with that cost will have money left over for other things should they need fixing IE Rad, tranny work, diff, etc. If you can descent short block rebuild it'll go for a long time with no issues.
Yeh but the short block doesn't include heads right? Just the lower half? If so I got a nice stuck spark plug in #6 that I personally don't feel like dealing with. I really want to keep this truck but the only way is dropping a new motor in it in 1 weekend because we have no other vehicles and 2 children. Gotta have a way to work and school. I'm willing to bite the bullet and buy another motor...even though I would love to swap it out for a 3.4 but its too pricey for what budget I'm looking at. If I could replace the head gasket and sell it immediately I would do it because this motor is not to say the least in a reliable shape. I've always kept up with all maintenance but the previous owner hasn't. Just don't want to screw someone by selling it to them because I had it done to me and its not a good feeling...however I would love to get a hold of the guy that sold it to me because he knew what was up and to get the chance to punch him in the mouth once would be a great pleasure If you notice I am a little disgruntled right now because of this. I just want something reliable.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Ya I'd just go and replace the headgasket, water pump, timing belt etc. But if you're going to go the route of a new engine then I'd stay away from Jasper/Yamato as I've heard they aren't very well rebuilt (burns oil etc.) and ya you should be able to do it in a weekend with air tools and an engine hoist...you just need to figure out where you're going to put the new one before it goes in and the old one after it comes out.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Timing belt and everything else has been changed out. So would it be better to pull the tranny out at the same time or no? I noticed on ebay that most of the sellers don't give you the intake manifold or timing set up. Although I saw this one company called greenleaf recyclers that already had this on their motors for a reasonable price and small core.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hehehehe why do I smell a write up?

HOW TO: Swap your engine! I would love seeing pics and reading it. You have a TFSM?

Why not do a 7mgte swap - what would that cost ya? Just throwing out an idea is all And what will you do with this 3vze you are pulling
Old 08-21-2005, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
hehehehe why do I smell a write up?

HOW TO: Swap your engine! I would love seeing pics and reading it. You have a TFSM?

Why not do a 7mgte swap - what would that cost ya? Just throwing out an idea is all And what will you do with this 3vze you are pulling
Well right now I gotta budget of around $3,000 and this is my DD so a different engine swap is out of the question for right now. Well I could do a writeup I guess...haven't saw any same engine swaps around. Well the old 3.0 was going to core not unless someone wants to give me 500 for it to cover my core charge. Umm well I got the haynes manual and that online manual thats been floating around but I've changed motors in V8's before so I'm sure it couldn't be much different. Just gotta remember to label all my vacuum hoses and stuff.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

do you have AC? if so that was one of the hardest parts when i helped my dad pull the V6 out of his Runner...trying to get it wedged off to the side without kinking any lines and findung a place to bungee it. I dunno about easyness when we pulled his we pulled the transmission and tcase but it you've got sdomething to hold the transmission up then id leave it in.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Yeh I got AC. Gotta big floor jack to hold the tranny up so it shouldn't be a problem as far as that is concerned. Should I unbolt the manifolds from the heads before I take it out or just take it loose from the drivers side exhaust? As far as unbolting the tranny from the motor I just gotta get all the bellhousing bolts out right? Bet thats a pain to get to the top bolts. Just gotta good lead on a motor that a guy down the road put in his 90 4runner that is $1995 and $425 core which the price of the motor has shipping to me and my old core shipped to them included. The place is called Orient Engines out of Kentucky which they specialize in foreign motors. Also checking into new injectors not unless I can have them sent somewhere to be cleaned out by someone else for a much smaller charge than new injectors. Any inputs on the injectors? I know I'm putting new seals in them before they go back in.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.cruzinperformance.com/ does it also look locally for a place that does ultrasonic cleaniong and flow testing/balancing. I think mine was $75-80 here locally, but i guess those ultrasonic cleaning machine things are kinda rare. If you can't find a place then you can send em my way if you need to (its acorss the country tho...kinda last resort on your side im guessing) and I'll get em cleaned up and shipped back. On the exhaust my dads had the factory exhaust so we just took a sawzall to it as the bolts were all seized in and pulled the motor with the manifolds and cross over on it. Put in headers while its out....that's the best advice I can give you as it does make a lot of difference (engine runs cooler, more power, better fuel economy etc.) and its ALOT easier with the motor out then with it all back in and put back together. I'm pretty sure its just the bellhousing bolts just watch the clutch line when you pull the motor.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
http://www.cruzinperformance.com/ does it also look locally for a place that does ultrasonic cleaniong and flow testing/balancing. I think mine was $75-80 here locally, but i guess those ultrasonic cleaning machine things are kinda rare. If you can't find a place then you can send em my way if you need to (its acorss the country tho...kinda last resort on your side im guessing) and I'll get em cleaned up and shipped back. On the exhaust my dads had the factory exhaust so we just took a sawzall to it as the bolts were all seized in and pulled the motor with the manifolds and cross over on it. Put in headers while its out....that's the best advice I can give you as it does make a lot of difference (engine runs cooler, more power, better fuel economy etc.) and its ALOT easier with the motor out then with it all back in and put back together. I'm pretty sure its just the bellhousing bolts just watch the clutch line when you pull the motor.
Yeh right after I posted that about the injectors I found cruzin performance's website. Might have to take ya up on the injectors because don't really know about any places around here that do that. I'll take care of the shipping costs to and from...would be greatly appreciated. Just gimme about a week or two on that once all funds are in hand. I have an auto tranny and I heard you have to relocate the tranny cooler for headers. Would be nice and I'll have to think about that one and see where the budget stands after all this is paid for. Thats what I figure I'll be doing with my exhaust is cutting it off because those donut gasket bolts look pretty rusted. No worry about the clutch line because I got an auto. So the torque converter oughta slide right off the shaft.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

No problem...just let me know when you want to. I dunno about the tranny cooler as I've got a manual. Ya once everything is unbolted it should slide right apart. See how it goes budget wise but i you can swing it then do the headers. Let me know if you need any help along the way, although I can't really lend a hand I can try to help you out with any probs.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

I appreciate it One last question about the header crossover...did you guys go with a crossover from the header manufacturer or have one custom made? I have 2.25" brand new exhaust and high flow cat and flowmaster so it should compliment it great. So I guess Downey makes the best headers? I've heard NWOR is crappy all around and I will deal heavily with people that are great in customer service! Also I am doing the denso Iridium plugs too...how are they working out for ya? Thinking about some good MSD wires too to give me a little better spark too.

Last edited by callmej75; 08-21-2005 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 3.0 head gasket