Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 Engine Problems

Hey guys, all those of you with a 2n gen, previously owned one, or just know alot about 4Runners and the engines, is the 3.0 a real prblem child? What exactly have yall had to do, or what are some problems that I should be werry of when loking at 2ndd gens. I really want to know that theengine is just not going to be a probem and that it's going to take alot of shop time and preventative maintenence to keep it running. Reliablity is a big issue to me, that is why I am fighing to stay in the Toyota fmily. ANY imput is welcome, just let it flow, no such thing as being over informed. Thanks in avance.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

I put a good 90k on mine with out a hitch (I bought it with under 50K) and then it all went to hell.. I had a burnt valve.. New heads I had a shop built went out about 6k later.. Now I put 10k on a new set and I have a low compression again.. (Now this may be the timing belt this time.. I have it beeing looked to now)

I dunno.. I have had mixed luck.. Right now I think it is a piece of crap.. It breaks down more often than oil changes... I have sunk about 3 or 4 grand into it in the last year and I have been able to drive it only 15k (I have done 40k since last June) It takes a good mecanic to work on it.. because it seems pretty easy to mess up.. They have a lot of head trouble.. I have seen this in many people's posts.. Time will tell..
Old 04-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

only problem ive had was the head gasget, but it's know for that. there is a recall on the 90-94 years and some 95s

other than that its known as a solid engine...
Old 04-16-2003, 11:53 AM

I bought mine about 2 years ago and have had no problems since then. I bought it with 140K and put about 25K on since then. It was nice cause the previouse owner had all the documentation for any of the work he had done to it. But the only things he did were to make it better, not to fix a problem, and he had all the work done at the dealership.

The only problems I have encountered are the ones that arose from me modding it. And even then, the only problem right now is a screwy electric fan that turns on and off whenever it feels like it. Overall, I belive 2nd gens to be very reliable.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:23 PM

Well, I'm gonna use this an an excuse to whine about my rig....
If I had it all to do over......... Id get a 96 to 98. Id TRY to find one w/ a stick. I just dont like the way my auto tranny shifts. Coupled w/ the 3.slow...... it just makes for poor gas mileage. If you try to "tender-foot it", it doesnt vacuum shift as soon as it should, if you put your foot in it, well, there goes your economy. At highway speed, it seems to do alot of "searching" for the proper gear when you use the cruise controll. I blame the lack of power from the 3.slow.... whats the 4Runner weigh?? ALOT!!!
Yeah... if I could do it over, 3rd gen. OR I wouldnt mind having myself a double cab Tacoma. I do miss having a pick-up.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

When I bought mine, all was well until I messed with it. The previous owner had the recall done. When I went to the dealership and they looked up my VIN it showed there was still a recall. This is because Toyota redesigned the head gasket and my original headgasket had been replaced with the old design. So I decided to have the headgasket replaced and have some more work done on it to make it more reliable. Sounds like a good idea, right? Wrong, my car just hasn't been the same since. I've been back to the dealership a few times and they just say "Thats normal." Bull˟˟˟˟˟!

So if you get a 2nd gen and it has a recall, I would NOT get the head gasket fixed and if it goes out then just get a new motor from Toyota. I know that you said reliability was an issue, but it is more problems to have to keep taking your car back to the dealership because they did crappy work.

My lesson learned from this: If it ain't broke, don't f%ck with it.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:39 PM

I think the 3.0 is a sturdy engine, other than the head gasket, but I like my 22R better.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:42 PM

If you can deal with the enormous powerband the 3.0's have. Then I say go for it. My '95 has 140K on it and haven't had a single problem with the engine. Even better my sister has a '92 with a 190k with no engine problems either. And neither of ours had the head-gasket recall.
I will tell you if you are looking at a 2nd Gen. then don't even think about gettting an automatic. Get the 5 speed. Makes a HUGE difference.

Reliable engines? Yes
Powerhouse? NO!
Gas Mileage? 17-20 (5-speed)
Would I buy one again? I'd get the 3rd gen. before I bought the 2nd again.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by 1Runner
Well, I'm gonna use this an an excuse to whine about my rig....
If I had it all to do over......... Id get a 96 to 98. Id TRY to find one w/ a stick. I just dont like the way my auto tranny shifts. Coupled w/ the 3.slow...... it just makes for poor gas mileage. If you try to "tender-foot it", it doesnt vacuum shift as soon as it should, if you put your foot in it, well, there goes your economy. At highway speed, it seems to do alot of "searching" for the proper gear when you use the cruise controll. I blame the lack of power from the 3.slow.... whats the 4Runner weigh?? ALOT!!!
Yeah... if I could do it over, 3rd gen. OR I wouldnt mind having myself a double cab Tacoma. I do miss having a pick-up.
You're absolutely right!

Regardless, I still love my truck, HE-HE.

I own a '94, 3.0L, with 98K and I haven't had a single problem with the engine since I bought it (7 Months Ago).

I'll tell ya though, the thing guzzles gas!

Especially if you are pulling something, man, you almost see the needle go down, argh!

Even though all this, I won't replace mine for a 5-SPEED.

Basically, it's all personal preference.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

I don't really have too much to compain about on my 3.0 (other than it's kinda slow). I now have 168,xxx on it, and only things that have had to be repaired/replaced are my radiator, thermostate, PS pump, 02 sensor, ignition key cylinder and spark knock sensor (from what I hear, it's pretty rare it those go out). Most of that was just piddley stuff, except for the knock sensor. What a pain that was. Previous owner did the head gaskets even though my 4Runner didn't have the recall. My tranny is starting to show some problems (rarely though--I can live with it), but I can't complain with as many miles that are on it. My cam/crank timing is off by 5*, so I'm trying to figure out how that happened and how to fix it.
Other than that, I can't complain. Been a fun truck.

I would like to find another 2nd gen with a blown engine and a 5spd. Than I'd get it cheap and drop in a 3.4. From what I hear, the 3.4 bolts right up to the 2nd gen's 5spd (don't quote me on that though )
Or, I'd just look for a 3rd gen (98 or 99 preferably).

Well, have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 04-16-2003, 07:23 PM

5spd
problems: previous owner had headgasket done
i think its a solid engine and the 5spd with a kn filter is fairly peppy and i used own a 3.4 96.
Cant beat the torque
Old 04-16-2003, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
220,000 on my '90 3.slow with no head gasket recall. The engine pings a bit with low test, but not with 89 octane - carbon deposits probably account for that. I also have the automatic and have pulled 25mpg out of it - 65mph, NO gunning it, flat land, and stock 225/75r15 tires.

Incidentally I've had NO engine problems. **knock on wood** And only recently have I had tranny problems.

Steve
Old 04-16-2003, 07:34 PM

i have a '94 pickup, not a 4runner, but it's got the 3.0 in it. i bought it a year ago at 165,000 miles. the headgasket recall was done at 78,000 miles. now it's got about 179,000. i've done nothing to the engine but change the oil. it's a rock.

it burns a quart of oil every thousand miles or so, so i have to check the oil level every so often. i forgot to check the oil level in a 1500 mile trip last year. i think i ran the engine below the lowest oil level in the dipstick for a few hundred miles. still, it runs strong and i can't see it dying anytime soon.

the only thing i don't like about it is that it is underpowered.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can make the 3.slow pretty peppy however. FIPK + Hiflow cat + ECT mod + 2-3* of timing advance should make ya pretty darn quick. Im contemplating the cat back with 2.25" mandrel bent to see if that will help as well. Right now my yota pulls HARD from 3k on, I love it.

Steve
Old 04-16-2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Vrooooom

the only thing i don't like about it is that it is underpowered.
Can you elaborate this statement??
Old 04-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Del

Well there's not much to elaborate on. I think the 3.0 came with only 150 horses, which isnt much for a 4,000 lb suv. Climbing hills sucks, I get passed by little tiny hunk-o-junk things that I can't believe made it that far, however, I've had no problems and wouldn't trade that engine for anything (except maybe the twin turbo supra motor .
Old 04-16-2003, 08:33 PM

I bought a brand new '89 4Runner (1st gen.) with V6 and auto tranny in early 1989. just before new 2nd gen. production arrived at the dealership. The engine did perform very well with a little underpower unlike on 2nd gen. rig due to lighter vehicle weight. I drove it over 265,000 accident-free miles including about 20% of mileage was off-roading. It had two repairs with water pump replacement (high pitch noise) at 88,000 miles and timing belt pulley replacement (loose bearing) at 175,000 miles. Everything else under the hood was still original until I sold it for new 1998 4Runner. I think it is very reliable.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

My 3.0 is great!

I find the 3.0 to be a good engine, not as good on gas as the 22R I used to own but it has more power. I have a 5spd and I find it pulls great al the way through the power band. The head gasket was done by the previous owner at the same time the timing belt was done ( on time thank god). The only two achilles heels this engine has that I know of are the haed gasket ( covered by a recall) and the T-belt get done on time ( when the manual says) and you should have no problems. Mods I have K&N cone airfilter, ported air meter, adv. timing. to come- manifold back exhaust with high flow cat, elec. fan, silincer box removal. currently getting avg. 17.5 mpg. my advice go for it! just be religious about your oil changes and so forth and she'll give you no trouble. But go for a stick for some reason everyone i talk to with an auto complains about performance and economy. I think the trouble is that the engine is not matched well with the auto slush box. I guess since up to the 3rd gen. they designed and built these trucks for the world they did'nt worry so much about the auto's since only the lazy gringos in N.A. buy them, the rest of the world drives stick!
good luck finding the ride of your dreams Aviator
Old 04-17-2003, 04:38 AM
Contributing Member

I had a 92 and it became a money pit really quick. I had it for 2 years. For a year and a half, I had no problems. Then, all of the sudden, things started to break left and right. I was leaving my dad's house one night and noticed my driver-side headlight severely out of adjustment. The stud had completely seperated from the rest of the housing. Then the starter failed. Then the alternator failed. I was replacing the battery almost every 6 months. The rear window motor failed. There were several morning where the thing just wouldn't start. And then the rings started to fail. I noticed white and bluish smoke on take-off. I had the dealer perform a compression check and they said my rings were failing. So, rather than dumping more money into an underpowered pig, I traded it in on my 96. I have had no problems with my 96 except for the starter.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Del
Well there's not much to elaborate on. I think the 3.0 came with only 150 horses, which isnt much for a 4,000 lb suv. Climbing hills sucks, I get passed by little tiny hunk-o-junk things that I can't believe made it that far, however, I've had no problems and wouldn't trade that engine for anything (except maybe the twin turbo supra motor .
Mine does very well on hills and towing.

But I have a PICK-UP truck not a 4RUNNER.

Question:

I bought my truck roughly around 7 months ago. I have no idea if the previous owner had the recall or not. My truck isn't leaking any oil at all, but should I be conserned about this??

I lost any type of contact with the previous owner, so It would be quite hard to find out directly from him..........

What do y'all suggest I do??

By the way, I own a 1994 V6 PICK-UP truck.

Last edited by KING; 04-17-2003 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.0 Engine Problems