Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 with 3.4 power? Build up in progress - donations needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3.0 with 3.4 power? Build up in progress - donations needed!!

Hey all! It's not often that there is a great cause like this!

Dan90SR5 is in the midst of a rebuild of his 3.0 and he is on to something big! Try this on for size: 3.0 block, Camry psitons and heads, 3.4 intake, Supra AFM, plus a bunch of other odd and ends = some real power. All without a complete swap and keeping the stock harness and ECM.

Follow the thread here

There are plenty of folks with the 3.0 that have complained to no end about what a turd this motor is. Time to put your money where your mouth is...

Adam F suggested we make $5 donations to the cause. Many have jumped on the bandwagon to help move this process along. As in many build ups, the process gets slowed by a lack of funds.

If you don't want to contribute, don't. But also, don't complain about the 3.0. Dan is making the effort and sacrifice to do the hard part for us. We'll all be able to follow his blueprint in the future!

Paypal (preferably with paypal balance) to djvilleneuve22@hotmail.com.

Thanks for participating!!
Old 07-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for putting this up Cebby
Old 07-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

How much has he raised so far? Good luck dan.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

Well I don't have a 3.slow but, I'll donate 5 bones to help. Hey, it's all in the Yota family. So hopefully one day all you 3.slow guys can keep up with us S/C 3.4's
Old 07-26-2004, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

If he is using a 3.4 intake couldn't he use a 3.4 S/C then???

I know there's more to it than just bolting it on, but if he's going this far
Old 07-26-2004, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
If he is using a 3.4 intake couldn't he use a 3.4 S/C then???

I know there's more to it than just bolting it on, but if he's going this far
That's a good question. I don't see why it would not work (since he will have to custom fit the 3.4 intake anyway)
Old 07-26-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yotafool
How much has he raised so far?
Dunno - I put my $5 bones in though.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:37 PM

Depends if he's just using the intake or the intake plenum. If he's using the plenum then he might as well use the s/c. But he might just want to get the base done so that people will know how to modify it, and then change it out and put the s/c on if they want.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by havic
Depends if he's just using the intake or the intake plenum. If he's using the plenum then he might as well use the s/c. But he might just want to get the base done so that people will know how to modify it, and then change it out and put the s/c on if they want.
Sorry that I haven't been on much. My dad is putting in a huge pond here and that's what I've been working on. Lots of timber to be limbed and cut.

The engine is basically on hold until I get the money to keep going with it. The donations are very slow coming $80 last time I checked. I have a NO2 system that when I find the box that I put all the parts in, will be sold to aid in the project funds.

I will be using the whole 3.4L intake to get it up and off the ground. If I go with the S/C, it won't be until next summer. After seeing one on a 3.4L, I think that it would be possible to do if this project works. I'd say that 6 4A-GZE injectors would be needed though.

This will be a long term work in prgress. And hopefully I can make it work for all of us.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:13 AM

yes if he gets the 3.4L head then yes he can use the trd s/c....we (Sea2Sky Tuning) are also planning the same work on a donar engine here. Its the head gasket you have to worry about and thats all, but your replace the head completly so that is a different story...the biggest problem with the 3.0 was the block didnt breath properly and headgaskets blow like crazy
Old 08-08-2004, 10:51 AM

Just an update guys.

The fund isn't raising any money at all right now. I have a NO2 kit that I'm going to be putting on ebay to raise some money to finally get this thing rolling. I have two other small item that I only expect to get $50 out of. Anyway, the botom end is going to the machine shop this week. I'll bolt the engine and tranny back in the car in about 2 weeks or so. I have family coming so I'll not work on while they are here.

I still need parts and money so hopefully after this action I can get those parts and maybe finish this up about 1 1/2-2months from today. I'm hoping sooner, but I have to be realistic that I have no idea what, if any problems I'll run into.

If all goes well, maybe we'll shot for the S/C late next summer.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:10 AM

Will the engine parts from a 90 Camry work for this mod. If so I may have access to one.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

They will if its the 3vz-fe v6
Old 08-09-2004, 09:54 AM

What is the + of using Camry cam's??
Old 08-09-2004, 12:39 PM

Firefighter: As Praufet has said, if it has a 3VZ-FE in it, yes it will work. If not, it will more than likely not work. I think that 1MZ-FE heads might work, but the reason that I have not tried to use them is because of the direct fire ignition that it uses. I'm trying to keep the stock ECU and wiring harness. This swap is suppose to be a cheap alternative to the 5VZ-FE (3.4L) swap for those doing a rebuild.

Praufet: Thanks for answering that for me. You probably know as much as I do at this point as closely as you're following this.

NX Tacoma: It's not the advantage of the Camry cams persae, it's the whole head. The heads flow better. If you were do do this swap or wait for me to finish mine, you'll see the differences. I'll have a complete write-up with pictures when I'm done.

Guys, please stick in there with me on this one. I'm in a not so good financial situation and trying to get this done ASAP. I need my 4Runner as much as you all want to see the results of this swap. I think as soon as I sell that NOS kit and with the money that I have on hand right now, I should be able to atleast get the engine built and get all of the parts needed. I'm going to try to use the Camry exhaust manifold for the initial build-up to see if I can't make this whole swap just a matter of collecting parts.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

seems like alot of work and somewhat of a significant expense for very little gain. . .

I'll be interested to see what the total cost versus total gain will be in the end.

For reference, a supra swap costs about $1200 on a budget or $2000ish done well, and gains 100 HP minumum. a 200+ HP increase just requires higher flow injectors, intake, and tuning. A 350hp 4runner sounds nice doesnt it? Try getting that out of a 3.4 or a 3.0, just not possible. The owner of supracharged.com is also coming out with a custom cast adapter so you can bolt a 7mgte to an R151, easily the best of the best combo in all of toyota's lineup (besides maybe a 2jz but then you're talking big money) . I'll definetly be purchasing one this winter, blowing up 4cyl trannies all day just wouldnt be much fun.

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 08-09-2004 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:45 PM

Sent my $5 For research and destruc... oh wait developement. HAHA. hope it works out, id like to see a good dyno chart comparison.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by NCSU-4runner
a supra swap costs about $1200 on a budget or $2000ish done well, and gains 100 HP minumum. a 200+ HP increase just requires higher flow injectors, intake, and tuning. A 350hp 4runner sounds nice doesnt it? Try getting that out of a 3.4 or a 3.0, just not possible. The owner of supracharged.com is also coming out with a custom cast adapter so you can bolt a 7mgte to an R151, easily the best of the best combo in all of toyota's lineup (besides maybe a 2jz but then you're talking big money) . I'll definetly be purchasing one this winter, blowing up 4cyl trannies all day just wouldnt be much fun.
OTS......Can you explian the different Supra motors and their HP?
Will any of the Supra motors fit in a 03 Tacoma, auto?
Old 08-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

dont wanna hijack this thread, i was just posting up some numbers to use for comparison later. for more supra swap info check out the forums at supracharged.com . My truck will be featured there soon. Feel free to sign up for the forum there and ask all the questions you want.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by NCSU-4runner
dont wanna hijack this thread, i was just posting up some numbers to use for comparison later. for more supra swap info check out the forums at supracharged.com . My truck will be featured there soon. Feel free to sign up for the forum there and ask all the questions you want.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 3.0 with 3.4 power? Build up in progress - donations needed!!