Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd GEN vs. 3rd GEN 4Runners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd GEN vs. 3rd GEN 4Runners?

I'm considering a 4Runner as I just sold my 97' FZJ80 LandCruiser, but I have a tight budget so I'm looking for advice. I'm wanting a daily driver/expedition rig, will be looking to put a mild lift on, 33's and maybe a new front bumper. Would you buy a 2nd and use the extra $$ to build it up or use what you have to get the 3rd gen and build it as you save the $$? In either case, I plan on getting maintenance up to far first. I am used to, and loved working on my Land Cruiser, how do these compare? I have heard bad things about the 3.0 V6's in the 2nd gen runners, are all 3rd gen the 3.4 V6 and are they reliable? I had a 1st gen many years ago with a 22RE and although I loved it, that engine was a DOG in the mountains, so I'm wanting a V6 ..... unless you talk me out of it All feedback is appreciated! Thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 10:41 AM

What is your price range?

The 3.0 V6's are prone to head gasket probs.
The 3.4 V6 is underpowered compared to rivals but because of the relative low hp and torque outputs you could say the engine is overengineered, meaning it will last forever if looked after. There is a 2.7 available but its not reccommended on anything but flat terrain.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

I own a 2nd Gen as does my SO TC. We both would steer folks away from them because of the 3.0 problems. Mine just blew after having been rebuilt 20K miles ago. I am in the process of putting in a 3.4

We've also found that runners really aren't the best expedition rigs unless you have a family. I feel like when I carry gear because the way seats fold down it rides up to high adding to my tippiness... I'd much rather have a Truck in hindsite - with a topper but that's just my 2 cents.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to YT.

3rd Gens are pretty much ready to go. The 3.4 is strong and reliable right out of the box, the front suspension is far advanced over the 2nd Gens and overall trim is more refined.

If your plan is to build something that can really be knocked around hard on the trails, start with a 2nd or 1st Gen 4Runner and schedule some serious garage time.

If your plan is to hit a majority of the back country found across the US with a reliable, reasonably strong multipurpose vehicle... then go with the 3rd Gen.

I will second some of Lysmachia's comments though in regards to a truck. If it's just you and one other, that's the better way to go. Get a shell and you have tons of storage, place to sleep, etc.

Most likely, I will be getting a '96 or newer 4WD Tacoma with a 3.4 auto. That will be my full on high mileage expedition type rig. I'll keep my current 2nd Gen 4Runner, but just take it to the next level as far as trail mods go and keep the majority of it's use to local rockcrawling.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 AM

Yeah, I'm really not looking to be knocking it around all that bad, mostly fire roads and whatnot and the stories of the blown HG's on the 3.0 just don't sell me on them. I like the idea of the 3.4 being overbuilt, EVERYTHING on my LandCruiser was overbuilt and reliable and I am good with that I would like to spend $6k and I have seen a few 96's and 97's in the area with high mileage in that range, so I think it's doable. I have considered the Taco as well, but the weird thing is that they seem to be MORE expensive then the 4Runners of the same vintage?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM

I love mine as an expedition rig. I've driven mine in pretty much stock trim through everything that I've thrown at it and it hasn't let me down. My 3.0 is strong (mechanically speaking) but lacks that bit of power you would gain with the 3.4. Mine is also my daily driver so I get punished at the pumps with the gas mileage but I've started to run a set of 31's around town instead of my 33's and its helped a lot. The cargo area comes with cargo tie downs and I still use the factory tie down straps and its perfect. All in all I'd say second gen just in the bang for your buck.

just one mans opinion
Old 03-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

hey nate..welcome aboard! we should have just traded hey? haha...

anyway, id definitely recommend to you the 3rd gen. not because i own(ed) one, but i think you'll definitely appreciate its size...esp the drivers seat. i had a 90 before my 98, and you know how tall..err short i am compared to you. knees were almost knockin under the steering column, at a comfortable seating position. maybe landtank has an adapter for 2nd gens? 3rd gens are just bigger in general, and 2nd gens will feel too tiny compared to the cruiser. the 3rd gen is right in between there.

the 3.4L is proven to be very reliable and adequate power. gears can help, but not needed unless you go to 315's. if you dont want to dump in too much $$, stick some decent 265/75/16's on there and it'll be good enough for what it sounds like you want to get into...until youre ready to build it up even more. plus..you know how cool they look with the arb

taco's are more expensive up here too...well for the 01+ anyway. maybe because they're USA made? who knows. the runners and taco gens have a weird overlap. either or will suit your needs, but coming from the 80, you'll probably feel more at home in an suv. either or can hold enough cargo, and you can sleep in both. but if theres any chance of mini-me's in your future, you'll have to go with a double cab if you go pickup, where the 3rd gen can easily pack a family into the bushes. ive packed 3 kids, wifey + gear numerous times last year. some of those trips were with a tent trailer. it was full, but solid and had no issues...

find one with an elocker...and your good to go!

Last edited by d0ubledown; 03-13-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
hey nate..welcome aboard! we should have just traded hey? haha...

anyway, id definitely recommend to you the 3rd gen. not because i own(ed) one, but i think you'll definitely appreciate its size...esp the drivers seat. i had a 90 before my 98, and you know how tall..err short i am compared to you. knees were almost knockin under the steering column, at a comfortable seating position. maybe landtank has an adapter for 2nd gens? 3rd gens are just bigger in general, and 2nd gens will feel too tiny compared to the cruiser. the 3rd gen is right in between there.

the 3.4L is proven to be very reliable and adequate power. gears can help, but not needed unless you go to 315's. if you dont want to dump in too much $$, stick some decent 265/75/16's on there and it'll be good enough for what it sounds like you want to get into...until youre ready to build it up even more. plus..you know how cool they look with the arb

taco's are more expensive up here too...well for the 01+ anyway. maybe because they're USA made? who knows. the runners and taco gens have a weird overlap. either or will suit your needs, but coming from the 80, you'll probably feel more at home in an suv. either or can hold enough cargo, and you can sleep in both. but if theres any chance of mini-me's in your future, you'll have to go with a double cab if you go pickup, where the 3rd gen can easily pack a family into the bushes. ive packed 3 kids, wifey + gear numerous times last year. some of those trips were with a tent trailer. it was full, but solid and had no issues...

find one with an elocker...and your good to go!
Hey Sonny! Small world eh? Thanks for the input, the more and more I have read today, it sounds like I would like the 3rd gen best for my needs. I'm really not wanting to get into regearing and all that at this point (maybe after school is over) so I'm thinking smaller, i.e. 33's or so. Looks like there are MANY ways to lift them too? Choices choices, I have to admit, that Wabfab lift looks tempting given it's price ..... hey, I'm going back to school, what can I say, I have to be cheap Thanks for reminding me about the seat size too, thats going to be a deal breaker for sure.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:51 PM

I would definitely say go for 3 –rd generation.
IMHO 3.4L is probably most reliable engine Toyota had build in the last 30 years. This engine known easily last 300K and more and it does not have any specific problems that is prone to it… and unfortunately, I cannot say the same about any other engine, except new 4.0 V6 and new 5.7 V8 because they are too new and nobody knows what weak spots they have.…
Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i absolutely HATE my 3.0. my mom had a 96 5spd 4wd 4runner with a 3.4 but it still had the 2nd gen body style. i loved that 4runner so much that i later decided to get one of my own. too bad mine was a 95 with a 3.0. i'm swapping in a 3.4 now. if you don't want a project vehicle, i'd go with 3rd gen. good luck
Old 03-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by screamer76
my mom had a 96 5spd 4wd 4runner with a 3.4 but it still had the 2nd gen body style.
really?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
^^^ I wish my Mom could swap a 3.4 into a 2nd Gen. ^^^
Old 03-14-2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Elvota
^^^ I wish my Mom could swap a 3.4 into a 2nd Gen. ^^^
it wasn't a swap, though i think every mom should be able to do it so that they're children don't have to . hers must have been one of the first 96's, because it had the 3.4 from the factory, even though it had the 2nd gen body. she bought it new from desert toyota in 1995. sry, no pics because i didn't realize at the time that it was an anomaly. the production date on mine is 7/95, so hers must have been not too far behind it. other than the engine, they are EXACTLY the same... down to the color inside and out. i just wish she had never sold it .
Old 03-14-2008, 05:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Having had the first 3 gens 4runners, I would say the 3rd gen is what you want if you are going with the Runner over the Taco. The 1st gen was a TRUCK! Pure and simple. The 22RE was and still is an iron monster that is hard to destroy but it was just a 4 banger and needed more power. They were the first but it was an 80's truck ...

2nd Gen had the all in one body style that became very desirable, in fact some of the early Gen 2's had 2 doors just like the Gen 1 but more people that bought them had families so the 2nd set of doors were preferred and Toyota didn't sell as many so Toyota dropped them after 1990. They had a smoother ride and was a bit more refined the Gen 1. Remember, everything improves and Toyota wanted more power in their truck so enter the 3.0 but has been pointed out, many issues with head gaskets.

My 2nd gen was a 95 with the 3.0 It was one of the last made and never had head gasket issues. I had the VIN number checked to see if it was part of the "recall" for head gasket replacement but as it was one of the last it was supposed to have been resolved when mine was built. I did have an over heat issue on a trip to California running over the Grapevine grade on I-5, but fortunately I was able to get it cooled down before it made for some really unpleasant vacation stories.

The 3.0 is way under powered for the size and weight (power to weight ration is abysmal) which adds to the negative issues as well as gas milage. If you like to tinker and are willing to put up with power issues and potential engine problems, then look at a 2nd gen but I would look at 95's. I had alot of fun doing some of the basic performance mods.

When I found my 3rd gen, I was still driving my 2nd gen with no intentions of selling or trading but I still was keeping an eye out for a 3rd Gen. I had no idea about 3rd Gens and in hind sight, I think I would have gotten a later model Flight 2 with a bit more 'toys' but when the truck comes along and it catches your eye, its hard to just keep walking by! When I did find my current Runner it just made it easier to get out of the potential engine issues with my Gen 2 and it still had under 100,000 miles so I traded it.

The 3rd Gen has been a much nicer rig to drive. Toyota really stepped up with the 3.4. Besides some of the obvious engineering issues with the interior (see my mods) this is a much better truck. It still has the lines of the a 4Runner a.k.a. looks like a truck, and has many things you can do to it. You can go blind just looking at all the performance and cosmetic upgrades you can do to a 3rd Gen. For me personally, the newer 4th Gen 4runners just don't hit me quite the same. Stock they really don't have that look I want in my truck. It really is more of an SUV grocery getter (I know this will raise a few hackles but bear with me guys) I still want my Runner to be like a truck.

We all have different ideas of style and what appeals to our own sense of style. for me I want a truck with the ammenties of comfort so I chose the 3rd Gen. My car, is a different story. I never cared mcuh for Toyota styling in the Celica until the last Gen Celica (00-05) and I fell in love with that car! It is still my baby and DD. Some think its a 'chick' car, but I tell ya I have alot of fun driving it and at 35 mpg around town, well at least I still smile somewhat when I have to fill it up.

For me, I would recommend if you don't want to spend a lot of cash up front, are willing to deal with some mechanical/ cosmetic issues are hand y with mechanics tools, enjoy working on your own vehicle, then find a higher mileage flight 1 Gen 3 (96-98), do the catch up maintenance, interior upgrades, replace what needs to be replaced, and start mods that will improve performance/cosmetics. You will really enjoy the things you can do to a Gen 3 and there are tons of performance enhancements out there.

Now if you have the extra cash to spend and don't want to do all the upgrades then look at flight 2 Gen 3 (99-02). Each year of the Gen 3's Toyota kept improving and refining what they already had, a solid performing truck that had comfortable road manners. There are so many things you can do with any 3rd gen, I would recommend one to anyone who is looking for a great everyday vehicle or potential rock crawler. No matter what you decide, you are only limited by your own imagination. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by screamer76
it wasn't a swap, though i think every mom should be able to do it so that they're children don't have to . hers must have been one of the first 96's, because it had the 3.4 from the factory, even though it had the 2nd gen body. she bought it new from desert toyota in 1995. sry, no pics because i didn't realize at the time that it was an anomaly. the production date on mine is 7/95, so hers must have been not too far behind it. other than the engine, they are EXACTLY the same... down to the color inside and out. i just wish she had never sold it .
Sorry, i dont believe you. Toyota never did that in the newer models.

But i would buy a 96+ 4runner... i love my 99... you can get one with a factory rear locker as well... solid truck...
Old 03-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

If you plan on a lot of driving in it then get a 3rd gen for it's better comforts inside and more power with relatively the same MPGs as the 2nd gen.

Available stock locker too is nice to have.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

As others have said, definitely purchase a 3rd gen over a 2nd gen.

Having owned both a 2nd gen and 3rd gen, I'll never own another 2nd gen again as long as I live. The overall interior is bigger in a 3rd gen and the power is much improved. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:18 AM

Wow, thanks for the great detailed responses, sounds like the 3rd gen will fill the bill for me. One thing that is bugging me on the 4Runner Vs. my LandCruiser is the lack of raingutters for attaching racks up top. Is the factory rack the only point to attach aftermarket load bars etc? I have a RTT that I want to be able to use, but I don't know if a factory rack would be up to the challenge?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blarchitect
There is a 2.7 available but its not reccommended on anything but flat terrain.
I am going to have to disagree on that one. With the right gearing the 2.7 isnt bad at all, slow but it still gets you around nicely. Plus 23mpg in the summer isnt bad at all.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by montana nate
Is the factory rack the only point to attach aftermarket load bars etc? I have a RTT that I want to be able to use, but I don't know if a factory rack would be up to the challenge?
Well the factory rails (the 2 long rails running parellel w/ the vehicle) will be your only option to attach aftermarket bars too. If it were me, I'd look into a set of Yakima crossbars and mount them to the factory rails. Then mount your RTT on top of that.

Quick Reply: 2nd GEN vs. 3rd GEN 4Runners?