Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd gen suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2nd gen suspension question

First off I'd like to say hi to all of you as I am new to this board. I've been browsing around for a little while now but decided to register and get the ball rolling.

Anyways I just purchased a 94 4runner v6 5speed and want to get some upgrades done.

After doing a bunch of reading on suspension upgrades, I decided to order some Edelbrock IAS shock (got a good deal on 4wheelparts.com - $279 with free shipping). I plan on getting the downey hd coils and possibly the spacer as well. But..in most of the posts on this board, people say that stock length shocks are fine for use with the bigger springs. I don't understand how you can install the springs and spacers for a combined 3" of lift on stock length shocks. Won't the shocks respond differently than ones in extended lengths? Also, I've not been able to find a price on downey's 3" lift package: can anyone help me out? Thanks!
Old 02-02-2003, 01:45 PM

Alotta 2nd gen. owners here. I'm sure they'll give you what you need. I just wanted to welcome you to YotaTech.

Al
Old 02-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech.
Not sure where you read that, but I have always said if you just use the HD coils, stock length shocks are fine, as I have been running the Edelbrocks since October of '99 without a problem.

It's when you add the 1.5" spacer puck to the HD coils is when you are going to need a longer shock.

You can order the pucks direct from Downey, and their info is in our Vendor links section.

Also check with Mike (Xtremeoff-road) on the forum here as he can get you Downey stuff also.
His site is also listed in the Vendor section.

I'm not sure on the price of the spacers, but the coils by themselves generaly go for $169 or less.
That is what I paid for mine back then.

Let us know what you end up with.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
125 ish for the spacers brand new.

If you wheel it and are looking to gain travel, you should add a longer shock in both instances.

I run Rancho 5009's with the 3" kit.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I'll probably just end up using the coils alone (at least for now) and possibly a 1" bodylift sometime down the road. I'll check xtremeoff-road on pricing. Thanks again
Old 02-02-2003, 02:30 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

You are welcome.
For what it's worth, this is how my rig sits with 31" tires, the Downeys, and SAW T bars cranked up a bit to match the rear.

I am also carrying at least 300 lb or more of gear in the back, and the coils are holding up fine.
If I took out some of that weigh as in the cargobox, I'm sure the rear might come up just a bit higher.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
off-road.com has a good chart that shows which rancho shocks will work for the 3 inch lift. Unfortunately, those edelbrocks won't work well with the 3 inch lift, but they should be fine for the 1.5 inch lift.

Steve
Old 02-02-2003, 07:38 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. As for your question Corey has already done that
Old 02-02-2003, 10:14 PM

This is probably the most important post that I can make to anyone who wants to start wheeling. Consider where you may end up.......

I have over $10,000 in mods to my rig right now, not including any labor since I did it all my self. 8" lift, SAS front, leaf spring conversion rear, disc brake conversion, dual ARB's *(This I had done professionally), 5/29 gears, tube bumpers and rock sliders, Warn Winch. yada, yada, yada.

I also threw away about $10,000 buck on the way there with fancy chrome parts, hoop steps, lights, LSD's etc.

Suck it up and build what you want to end up with, not in progression. I've gone with 3 different gear ratios, open-LSD-ARB diffs, 5 different tire setups (BTW I still have 2 sets o 35's for sale with rims) etc. I've probably thrown away as much as I've spent.

Do yourself a favor and decidide how far you want to go. A friend of mine bought a lot of part from me for an IFS left. It was a good deal but no he's thinking of an SAS after saying that he didn't want to go that route. He's running into the same situation of throwing away an investment in parts.

If you're not sure about the sport, RIDE on a couple of trips on the hardcore end. Decide on whether or not you think you'd like it. You could save yourself a lot of time, money and heartache by doing it right the first time. That doesn't mean building a mighty trail rif, if that's not what you want, but it does mean sitting back and taking this into perspective. Honestly, I bet 've thrown away, $10,000 in parts. Don't make the same mistake I didl.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:25 PM

Exclamation

I have a 92 4runner. Downey makes two coils for the rear of your truck. The standard that raises your truck 1.5" over stock ride hight and the HD that raises the ride hight by 1 and 15/16". I installed the HD coils without changing shocks. This was fine on the road. I went on a weekend offroad trip to Hungry Valley and within 30 minnutes busted one of the rear shocks. The articulation angels had bent the upper pin and the shock had actually come disconnected from the top mount. I zip tied the shock to my axel and headed to the nearest parts shop. On the freeway ( at a safe 45 mph) the other shock went. Change you shocks or carry replacements with you if you plan a wheeling trip.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the information everybody... I have done a lot of research on the topic but personal experiences are even better to learn lessons from. As I said before, I have the edelbrock IAS performer shocks on standby and the downey HD coils should be coming in soon (I ordered last week from central4wd). When they arrive I'll be putting them in asap in the autobody shop here at school. Again, thanks for all the info.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I think you just bought the perfect daily driver/weekend 4wheeling combo.
I am very happy with the same setup.

Let us know how it rides after you install it.

Be prepared to possibly crank up your T bars a tad to level it out.
If you have a lot of sag like I did, the new coils will make the rear slightly higher than the front.

If you still have the ADD front hubs on, you can safely dial in 14.25 to 14.50" up front.
I am running close to 15" up front, but that is with Aisin manual hubs which takes a lot of pressure off of your CV boots and joints.

Here is an excellent article on adjusting the T bars, or a local tire shop can do it also.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/torsion/

I had the tire shop do mine, as it needs to be realigned after a crank anyway.