Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd Gen Stereo Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2nd Gen Stereo Conundrum

I have a two door 1990 4Runner with a stock stereo. A friend of mine gave me his old Eclipse stereo and I have had a little trouble installing it.

From what I understand the stock stereo has one wire for both the power antenna and the amp power (there are little amps connected to the rear speakers). My second hand Eclipse stereo has separate wires for the power antenna and the amp power. The wiring harness adaptor that I have has two pins routed to each other with a blue wire. One of the two pins has (in addition to the routing wire) a blue wire coming out of it, which is labeled as the power antenna by my wiring color code.

So when I first installed my Eclipse (using a wiring harness adaptor) I followed the color code and connected the Eclipse’s power antenna wire to the blue wire coming out of the of the adaptor.

Result:
My rear speakers only work when my antenna is up. Hence when I play CDs my rear speakers don’t work.

To try and solve the problem I disconnected the power antenna and connected the amp power wire from Eclipse to the blue wire coming out of the adaptor.

Result:
My rear speakers work all the time but now my power antenna is up all the time (unless the stereo is off).

This is just a slight annoyance compared to my speakers not working. Non-the less it has started to bug me and I’m thinking of fixing it.

Any help, ideas, or info would be great.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

Have a look at www.instaldr.com that has Toyota wiring codes. On mine the Antenna has two wires which you need to connect together and connect to the antenna wire. My Stereo has one wire for amp power switching and one for the antenna.

I connected the one wire from the stereo to the two Antenna wires and it works OK. I don't have an amp so I haven't used the amp wire.

Hope that this helps. I will search through my manual and see if I can find the color codes for the 2 antenna wires.

Cheers
Old 09-23-2003, 10:14 AM

On mine the Antenna has two wires which you need to connect together and connect to the antenna wire.
Are you talking about the power antenna or just the antenna wires?

The antenna wires are not in the harness but plug straight into the back of the stereo. The lager of the two is for the antenna on the hood and the smaller is for the antenna set into the rear right window.

When I say power antenna I'm referring to the relay that powers your hood antenna (makes it go up and down).
Old 09-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Ziltch
Are you talking about the power antenna or just the antenna wires?

The antenna wires are not in the harness but plug straight into the back of the stereo. The lager of the two is for the antenna on the hood and the smaller is for the antenna set into the rear right window.

When I say power antenna I'm referring to the relay that powers your hood antenna (makes it go up and down).
Sorry. Yes I'm talking about the power antenna wires. The Antenna Coax cable (only got one Antenna on mine) plugs straight in the back of the stereo like you say. The 2 cables to the relay needed to be tied in together with the one output from the stereo.

Cheers