Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd gen & snow/ice

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd gen & snow/ice

Yesterday I was out and the roads were terrible. I was in the Camry and it is pertty good in the snow but it was still slipping around a bit. So this morning for work I took the 4runner. WOW I am always impressed with how solid it is on the road in the ice & snow. It felt even more solid then the Sequoia but this may be because the Sequoia need new tires soon. The 4runner is the best truck I have ever driven in the snow/ice. Kudos to Toyota. I know that I shouldn't be this amazed given I have had it for 8 years but it was like night & day. I used to plow with it in the winter and it was great, glad to feel that it is still great.

Anybody have experiance with the bridgestone duelers in the snow & ice yet? Currently the 4runner has the 17" sequoia/tundra limited wheels with the dunlops on them - doesn't seem too bad but I was wondering how they compare to the duelers (reg or revos)
Old 11-30-2005, 08:14 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Which Dunlops?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:23 AM

Uhmm? I think they are the Grand Treck? I would have to check to be sure. They are the ones that came stock on the Tundras, the 265/65/17.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:23 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The reason I ask is I was looking at some RVXT's on TireRack, and they rated very highly in the snow. Wondering about the noise and life, though (rated high on TireRack's scores, but would like to hear from someone "in person").
Old 11-30-2005, 08:20 PM

I have the Bridgestone WINTER Duelers on my truck right now (had them on for an up north trip and still have them on b/c we've gotten some good snow/ice lately on the Pacific Coast out here). These tires seem pretty darn good so far. But they are a dedicated winter tire. I've read some extremely good reviews on them and that's why I bought them, plus they are one of the few quality winter tires that comes in my truck's stock size (31's).
Old 11-30-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean about buying larger truck tire sizes for 15". I found the Cooper Discoverer M+S in 31x10.50 is an excellent buy which is also studdable (Big O tires).

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/Prod...ht+Truck+Tires
Old 12-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Banned

I just took my 2nd gen up to the Lower cascade mountains today. Lots of snow!
I have 31x10.50 BAJA CLAWS. I must say these things are awesome in the snow! I mean AWESOME!! wow! I was considering getting some BFGs or Wranglers but after my snow trip, it has me rethinking that. I also like the fact that they are M+S rated that means I don't have to chain up when the DOT calls for "chains or traction tires". HAHAHA! Plus they make a KILLER foot print in the snow!

The one weak point to the claws is that they don't deliver the same traction in reverse, it's not bad but not as bitey as when moving forward.

Just as a side note. On my trip I saw a busted down Cherokee (guys told me the fule pump took a s*^&) a stuck full size chevy pickup and a stuck jeep wrangler.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:34 PM

I run Bridgestone Dueler RevoAT's during the winter. The best packed snow tire I have ever used....I drive a ton in the adirondacks, and the appalachians around snowy western NY. Great tires...I've got nothing but good things to say about them.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

I drive up a pretty twisty grade every day to get to work. (Not much snow so far this season) I run Winter Duelers as well and I agree they are ONLY a winter tire, but they are damn good at what they do.

Although I think this is probably my last season driving my 4runner up and down that mountain. Maybe Ill get a 85 Subaru Justy and turn it into a rally car.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:03 PM

My biggest reason for getting Winter Duelers was the huge number of zig zag sipes they provided for ice traction on top of the big deep blocky tread and tread design which is excellent for grip in the snow and channelling slush/snow out of the tire. The reviews pretty much stated this being the tire's attributes.

I think generally speaking anything with relatively good or descent sized blocky tread like your average all terrain tire, whether it is winter rated or not (keep in mind there is a difference between an "M+S" rated tire and a winter rated tire as per the rubber association - the latter has to go tests and meet criteria to be deemed as such, the former is just a rating that a manufacturer often puts on their tires while it may or may not be true - for instance the MIchelin LTX M/S doesn't meet the criteria for a true winter tire despite the fact it does have excellent sippage and a descent somewhat blocky tread) will peform well in the snow. It's whether or not the tire can handle the ice which is my biggest concern. That's when a true winter tire rating (with the snowflake and mountain symbol) comes into play.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:16 PM

I agree w/ RNGRChad - the REVO's are a phenominal rain and snow tire. I used to run nothing but BFG AT's because I loved their snow characteristics, but I decided to give the REVO's a try after reading the comparisons here on YotaTech. For a DD, I don't know if I could ever go back the BFG. The REVO's kicked but in rain and snow. In fact, I was extremely surprised at how well they gripped; with an unlaiden bed (04 d-cab), it was actually difficult to lose traction under power. Under braking, I've never felt a more confident inspiring tire - where I expected to lose traction and have to deal with the anti-locks, I experienced nothing but great grip and the ability to apply strong braking. I love those tires.

In fact, I almost replaced the Nitto's on my 96 for the Duellers... But I'm getting used to the Nitto's now... the REVO's are better, though.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by rockota
I agree w/ RNGRChad - the REVO's are a phenominal rain and snow tire. I used to run nothing but BFG AT's because I loved their snow characteristics, but I decided to give the REVO's a try after reading the comparisons here on YotaTech. For a DD, I don't know if I could ever go back the BFG. The REVO's kicked but in rain and snow. In fact, I was extremely surprised at how well they gripped; with an unlaiden bed (04 d-cab), it was actually difficult to lose traction under power. Under braking, I've never felt a more confident inspiring tire - where I expected to lose traction and have to deal with the anti-locks, I experienced nothing but great grip and the ability to apply strong braking. I love those tires.

In fact, I almost replaced the Nitto's on my 96 for the Duellers... But I'm getting used to the Nitto's now... the REVO's are better, though.
My experience with Revo's is the same as Rockota, damn good tires, the best In my opinion. Honestly, with the revo, I don't think there is any excuse to even need a winter specific tire. The revo is it.