Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd gen Rear Window (what else?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2nd gen Rear Window (what else?)

I haven't been driving my 'Runner for quite some time (I bought a 2000 Golf TDi on eBay, 45 mpg and $1.75/gal diesel beats 16mpg and $2.00/gal gaso)

ANYWAY...I'm in the middle of troubleshooting the rear window on my '95 'Runner. It works both up and down with the tailgate key switch (the lock cylinder is seized due the the road salt and our CNY winters but I have the 'gate apart and when I operate the switch, it works.) Currently, I have the switch hanging out the lock cylinder hole. When using the front console switch the window can be raised (surprise, surprise: not the typical sticking window) but will not go down. I don't know if it is a function of the rear wiper lock-out or a bad relay. I have the side trim off access to the window relay controller box. I can hear a click of the relay with the up, but nothing with the down. Any ideas?

Electrical is not my forte, so I'm kind of at a stand still.

If I'm not mistaken you have to turn the rear wiper off before lowering the rear window using the console switch. Is that correct? Anyone know how to by-pass the wiper lock-out? I've checked out 4crawlers "Rear Window Cheap Tricks" but I can't seem to figure anything out.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Here are some scans I did a few years back for the 2nd gen rear window.
Also in the folder is a PDF file from the 2nd gen manual which is on CD.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/tech/2nd_gen_rear_window/

Hope that helps.
And welcome to the forum.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit of a WAG, but worth a shot. Pull the switch from the console. Then, using a paper clip, jump the contacts at the bottom of the switch to see if you can make the window go up and down by bypassing the switch itself.
I did this chasing problems on my '85 and never blew a fuse or anything. Just try some different combos. If my faded memory serves, there is a contact on the bottom in the middle that should be the power when the key is turned in the ignition. By jumping that to the contacts on either side of the switch you should be able to make the window go up or down.
I have had mine in the past have a problem with dirty contacts inside the switch itself. A quick disassemble and cleaning took care of it. Later the tailgate closed detector sensor/relay started giving me grief. That takes a bit more work, but could also be part of your problem. If the window raising results in the tailgate being pushed slightly out AND if the tailgate closed sensor/relay isn't working properly, when the window is raised the relay cuts power to the window thinking that the tailgate isn't closed. A quick check for this normally would be to push on the top corner of the tailgate on the driver side while turning the key in the lock in the tailgate, but since your lock is messed up you might try having somebody give you a hand and either work the switch or push on the tailgate while you do the other part.
Lastly, I suppose if the keyed lock on the back is corroded, it's possible some wiring is bad as well. Just be glad you don't have a first gen. There is even more stuff that can go wrong on them LOL!
Good luck!