Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd gen airbox question

Old 07-14-2003, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen airbox question

I have a 95 4runner with the round airbox so the deckplate mod does not apply. And I was so looking froward to cutting stuff. Is there any down side to removing the scoop on the front of the airbox? It fit almost tight to the back of the headlight and I'm sure flow was restricted. Without it, at slow speeds it may pick up more heated air than cool, but anything else?

What other changes can I make to improve breathing?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2003, 02:12 PM

UKMeyers Air Box Mod

surfig: UKMeyers has a Air Box Mod that not only inlcudes removing the short tube between the headlight assembly and the air box itself, but also he has drilled small holes in the bottom of the airbox to facilitate additional area for the intake to pull through. Use the 'search' function to find out the particulars and pictures. I did this mod on my '91 Runner and found it to work well in conjunction with the intake (ISR) mod that you can find using the search feature as well. I thought about the heated air issue before I did the mod but felt that the fan (and the air flowing through the headlight bucket) is moving quite a bit of cooler air into the engine compartment and this seems to be the case becasue I have not encountered any adverse effects.

David
Old 07-15-2003, 12:24 AM
Contributing Member

Surfrig you are right on the money thinking this mod will increase power. First off get rid of that spoiler!!! There's two 10mm bolts that hold it in and you'll have to move the radiator overflow bottle out of the way for a second to pull it out. Also there's a tube that connects the spoiler to the airbox. Pull that out as well. If you want more after that then see the pics in this thread . Finally if you want some more yet go for the ISR Mod here's some pics of it installed on my truck. For detailed instructions on what is actually done look at blu's write up I forgot I did a write up on the airbox mod too in the tech section. Here's the write up for that. The only thing I can think of that would be adverse is if you didn't like the new sound that the intake makes for some crazy reason. Personally I think it sounds awesome. I been getting horrible gas mileage lately because of flooring it everywhere I go so I can hear the intake roaring..
Old 07-15-2003, 07:52 AM

Memphis and UK, Thanks for the back up and heaps of info! I'll be drilling the airbox out tonight and tackling the ISR over the weekend. Looks fairly easy once you have all the parts.