Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2g 4runner Rear Window Stuck

Old 06-26-2004, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2g 4runner Rear Window Stuck

Okay I left it down and it rained about a week ago. It rolled up fine but now the motor is constantly moving and up so its stuck all the way rolled up but wheneven the key is in the ignition you can always hear the motor running.

What all should I check? I can't get the window to roll down using the key either. This has been a problem since I got it, but I didn't think my switch would fail.

Would like some comments before tomorrow because I plan on bleeding the clutch and fixing this tomorrow if it isn't raining.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:34 PM

check and see if the rear windshield wiper is all the way up. Mine wasnt and my window wouldnt work either.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/RearWindow.shtml
Old 06-27-2004, 01:32 AM

for some reason the PO took off the rear wiper before it broke. The motor still works so I'm guessing for some reason the arm broke and he decided to take it off and not buy another one. Maybe I turned on the wiper and the motor stopped where it wouldn't be off the glass if it was attached?

Just took a quick glance at that link, all says 1st gen. How different are the rear windows and how they work between 1st and 2nd?

edit: oddly enough last week whenever i was testing to see if that rear wiper motor was bad or what, i did turn it on, and well i left it in the on position. the noise i was hearing was my rear wiper motor and not the window motor. even though its 4:30am and dark outside still went outside to see if that was it, since it was quite simple. and luckily enough i did go out because i left my sunroof open and surely it would rain if i left it open :-( anyway thanks for that advice.
and i'll check that link again tomorrow to see if i can't fix why my rear window will only roll up with the key. it won't roll down, can only do that from inside :-\

Last edited by hale; 06-27-2004 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:36 AM

Hello

There are 2 tracks at the bottom of the glass the hold the arms that push the glass up and down, check them out , if there rusty and the wheels can't glide, thats your problem, I justy replaced (95 ) mine a week ago and all is fine in rear window dom

carl

Originally Posted by hale
Okay I left it down and it rained about a week ago. It rolled up fine but now the motor is constantly moving and up so its stuck all the way rolled up but wheneven the key is in the ignition you can always hear the motor running.

What all should I check? I can't get the window to roll down using the key either. This has been a problem since I got it, but I didn't think my switch would fail.

Would like some comments before tomorrow because I plan on bleeding the clutch and fixing this tomorrow if it isn't raining.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On mine the motor runs but doesn't move it's the gear box on the motor something is stripped out and the motor runs but the drive gear doesn't turn.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by cimahar
Hello

There are 2 tracks at the bottom of the glass the hold the arms that push the glass up and down, check them out , if there rusty and the wheels can't glide, thats your problem, I justy replaced (95 ) mine a week ago and all is fine in rear window dom

carl
Hey cimahar, my '92 tailgate window gets stuck after rolling down about 3 inches and I believe that I need the tracks at the bottom of the glass replaced too. Did you have them installed or did you find a way to DYI? Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 06:11 AM

i have a a 94 4runner and my back window wont roll down or up. neither key or switch works. motor works fine in the door with direct power. i hear the relay box clicking when i press the switch. wiper is off and up in possision. please help if can this is a pain. also when i was deployed i had the wife put an alarm on it by bestbuy, she said it stopped working after that and the installer isnt willing to help.