Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

296,700 Miles Now Equals 0

Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
296,700 Miles Now Equals 0

This is my effort to go "green". Doesn't require any gas or electricity. Not much in terms of horsepower...about as strong as a small pony, that's rather strong that is!!!

OK..quite some time ago I picked up a 3RZ on Craigslist that was a complete basket case. This guy had completely torn it apart and then found out he was in over his head, so I got it on the cheap. He said it was from a 2003 and seeing as how I have a 98 I started asking on here if a 2003 3RZ can be put into a 1998 without too much hassle and the answer is...yes,for the most part.

The only differences that I really encountered were the cylinder head and intake mani changed to 4 port oval, instead of the 8 round, which wasn't an issue since I had a complete "new" engine including a cylinder head and the intake mani. I did have to use my old throttle body because there were some vacuum nipples that just don't exist on the newer one such as one of the power steering vacuums and PCV. Everything plugged into the wiring harness with no modifications and was pretty straight forward.

Pulled the old, tired 3RZ with 296,700 miles and put in a newly rebuilt 3RZ. Took a 3RZ that I bought on Craigslist to a machine shop for the block and head work and did the rest myself.

NEW:
-Master Rebuild Kit from LCE
-Crank
-Rods
-Pistons
-ARP Main Studs
-ARP Head Studs
-Timing set
-Water pump
-Oil pump
-Power Steering Pump
-All sensors (oil, water, knock, crank position, cam position, etc.)
-Starter (Mean Green starter by the way is BAD ASS...Huge Solenoid)
-Alternator (80 amp from Napa)
-Radiator
-Clutch (1,200 lb Marlin Clutch...awesome)
-Flywheel (Marlin Crawler)
-Bellhousing
-Various other things like hoses, plugs, wires.

Assembly of the "new" engine:

The "Old" Engine:

Broken Pressure Plate

This where the pressure plate finger shot through the bellhousing

Actually not bad in terms of sludge considering the mileage

Oil pan full of copper...my bearings were shot.

New Engine Installed:

Start Up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cFzrtSVQ8s
Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 AM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
over my head too, but i still hope to take part in such a project one day... good call on the orange block paint! Dad rebuilt a Ford 400 from an LTD for a Baby Blue '75 Blazer and went orange. Always loved it since.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 AM

I also deleted my balance shafts and have nothing negative to report...at least not yet. I can't give an accurate account as to whether or not it added any useable horse power, since my old engine was in such a worn down condition just a stock rebuild was a huge difference by itself. I can however tell you that the new engine revs up a lot quicker and I attribute that to the balance shaft delete, since most people describe it akin to a lighter flywheel...essentially reducing the rotating mass and in this instance also the drag on the engine.

I have NO noticeable in cab shakes or shimmys but I do notice my radar detector vibrates against the windshield a bit more and a vibration at low rpm's on interior plastic panels, but it smooths out under load and my truck is a 98 so the panels are probably a little loose anyway. This is far from being at all annoying, to me anyway, compared to how it was. At idle in neutral my stick shift used to shake back and forth about an inch in each direction so the small "buzz" vibration is nothing.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
over my head too, but i still hope to take part in such a project one day... good call on the orange block paint! Dad rebuilt a Ford 400 from an LTD for a Baby Blue '75 Blazer and went orange. Always loved it since.

Thank you! It's POR-15's Hemi Orange engine enamel and I did a base coat of POR-15. I dunno why...just because.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM

nice! i hope to do the same swap someday.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Also, I guess worth adding to the list:

-LCE Polyurethane engine mounts
-Bosch O2 sensors
-Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter
-Thorley Header
Old 01-11-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
One thing stuck out like a sore thumb as I browsed the pics.

"3FE" on the face of the pistons. Now, last I checked the 3F-E was an inline 6. Is that just a coincidence? Or is that another oddball mod I've never heard of(like removing the balance shafts)?

Nice job too, BTW. I recommend the "run it hard" break-in procedure, works for me. Hopefully that's the way it was done, or that it's not too late to do so. Very small window of opportunity there, hope it wasn't missed.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Good luck!

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-11-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Fine then, nevermind. I'll answer my own question.
Originally Posted by MudHippy
One thing stuck out like a sore thumb as I browsed the pics.

"3FE" on the face of the pistons. Now, last I checked the 3F-E was an inline 6. Is that just a coincidence? Or is that another oddball mod I've never heard of(like removing the balance shafts)?
Yes, it's just a coincidence. Why's that you say. Because the 3F-E has a bore diameter of 3.70"(94mm) vs. 3.74"(95mm) for the 3RZ-FE. So unless they were .040"(1mm) O/S they wouldn't work in a 3RZ-FE(even if you wanted them to). And since you didn't mention the new pistons were O/S, and did mention it was a "stock" rebuild, I'll go ahead and assume they aren't. Not to mention whatever other differences between them would prevent you from doing so. Which if they do, or don't, exist I'm unaware of. As I know very little about either of those engines.

BTW, if you're thinking that was a silly question to ask altogether, I've got news for ya. It's wasn't. Swapping pistons from one engine to another isn't unheard of. It's mainly done to change the compression ratio and/or power output. But could also be done to add or subtract rotating mass if they differed in weight. Or for both of those reasons, or just because it sounded like a cool thing to do, or for any other reason(s), or for no particular reason at all.

So yeah, I'm not an idiot...

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-11-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not bad, the thing i really like about the 4 bangers is it is SOOO easy to turbo them. The V6's may make more power stock but it is much harder to turbo them for big power.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:11 PM

Yeah maybe....

Then again, maybe NOT! Can you say supercharged 1MZ-FE with 306 HP, 500+ HP on the bottle? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4bYjZtVdzk
cbulen | January 21, 2010 | 23 likes, 0 dislikes
http://www.mv8r.com CLICK HERE V8 MR2 engine swap project.

I am very suprised this video is not on YouTube. This is the MOST famous Toyota MR2 V6 swap. Its the winner of the Sport Compact Car Ultimate Street Car Challenge (2005 I think). Please note, this is not my car, and I did not have anything to do with it. I just like the video, and I would be doing a V6 if I wasn't already doing a V8. Its "only" a Camry V6 pushing 500hp! For more info on V6 swaps into MR2's, see Jeff Hartman's book
http://tiny.cc/kkQKJ

More info:http://www.modified.com/uscc/0412_sc...scc/index.html

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-11-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah maybe....

Then again, maybe NOT! Can you say supercharged 1MZ-FE with 306 HP, 500+ HP on the bottle? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4bYjZtVdzk
Nice video but not sure what that has to do with my post?

I stand behind what i said, the 4 bangers are FAR easier to turbo, you can buy all the parts off the shelf and then bolt them on. And with a simple bolt on turbo build making 300rwhp+ is not hard at all.

Turboing a V6 is a 100% custom job.

So yes, i fully stand behind my post.

Now a turbo V6 is lots of fun once you get it done but it will cost a lot more, take a TON more work and just plain be a lot harder to do.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 PM

MudHippy...good eye! I did in fact go 1mm oversize. Machine shop said I could probably get by with just honing but for safe measure I went smallest oversize piston I could, that's why I really didn't mention it. I didn't do it specifically with the intent of any performance gains or to raise the compression.

I have however done that on a previous build of a Ford 390FT block and put a 428 cobra jet crank in it as well.

This basket case engine had a spun rod bearing and appeared to have a hot spot on a cylinder wall. So even though it mic'd out within spec I went oversize.

Last edited by Uisge Beathe; 01-11-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
sweet build and great attention to detail. I'm looking to go 3rz on the next swap I do if i find a dead 22re truck.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
I stand behind what i said, the 4 bangers are FAR easier to turbo...

Now a turbo V6 is lots of fun once you get it done but it will cost a lot more, take a TON more work and just plain be a lot harder to do.
Oh...o.k., I guess I'll believe you then.
Originally Posted by Toysrme
ive done 3.
the 3vz-e is the easyest engine to turbocharge in the entire Toyota lineup.
once you toss out the idea of trying ot make big power out of it & trying to GET some respectable power out of it on a budget. it's silly.

take a torch, to the idiotic stock exhaust crossover system & cut a hole in the manifold. Cap the stock exit @ the bottom of the manifold/crossover section.
weld a t3 flange on a short extension pipe & weld to your new exhaust outlet. downpipe it to your exhaust, or you know... just downpipe.
you're not shooting for the world so retard the ignition timing 10*btdc on the dizzy & as you drive work your way back to 5*. you may find yourself being able to run near stock to stock timing on good gas...
AFA fueling, once youve figured out there's little point in throwing money @ it & that the mileage sucks anyway its a rather bit non-issue. rather small, simple injector upgrades with the right regulartor can get you easily enough fuel for 250-275hp safely. youll be over-fueled, but itll run fine.
its a truck, mileage sucks regardless so.
https://www.yotatech.com/51439941-post63.html

I mean, what would he know about it. He's only done it 3 times...and you've done it how many?

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-11-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Oh...o.k., I guess I'll believe you then.

https://www.yotatech.com/51439941-post63.html

I mean, what would he know about it. He's only done it 3 times...and you've done it how many?

Still harder then a 4 banger since it takes custom work, the word custom automatically means it is harder to 99% of people on here because most of us don't have a welder.

Plus i would NEVER do it the way he is saying, it is VERY inefficient you need the manifolds at the very leats all running the same direction, a 120 degree turn backwards is going to make 1 bank run much different then the other, which is bad for power and for the engine. not good for anything.

I do things right, if you want to go ghetto rigged i am sure it can be done. And i still stand behind my post, turboing a 4 banger RIGHT is far easier.

Plus whats up with all of this anyways? i never said anything bad about the 5vz, i have a supercharged 5vz afterall i just said that i like the 4 bangers since they are so easy to turbo.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
This thread is about to be shut down unless it goes back on track. Start another thread if you want to compare putting a turbo on a 4cyl and v6.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by vital22re
This thread is about to be shut down unless it goes back on track. Start another thread if you want to compare putting a turbo on a 4cyl and v6.
I agree, can't figure out what started it in the first place.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Just showing you the other side of the coin is all. Some of us prefer more cylinders than 4. I failed to mention my point with the other post. Which was this, the MR2 was originally a 4 banger. So he must of thought he'd be better off with a V6 too. Not too mention all the folks that prefer V8s over either.

That's all. We're done here.

Forget I mentioned it. The minute I say anything in opposition to all the 4cyl lovers, threads get closed.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-12-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

PM inbound.

Edit: you don't have PM's so guess i have to post it here, sorry vital, if you want to split this thread off that is fine with me, hate to clutter up someones thread like this.

Last post on this subject, i promise.

I actually do like the V6 a lot for trucks which is why i have a V6 and not a 4 banger. honestly between them, I don't really care which one you have, both have their strong points and weaknesses. The 4 bangers strong point is it is easy to turbo the V6 strong point is it has a ton of torque. I was simply showing support for this guys build since he chose a 4 banger and most on here don't care for them.

Oh, and FYI, i am also VERY big into MR2's, don't even get me started on those. I know the up's and downs to those very well.

V6 = Autocross car
3sgte (aka, 4 banger) = Everything else.

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPqxWmtxsJw

I have a 3sgte build sitting in my garage that is capable of well over 500rwhp on boost alone. V6's are just novelty items that people do for fun or for autocross cars. They are also cheaper then a properly built 3sgte. ALL the real fast/MR2's on the record boards are 4 bangers. The highest HP V6 i have seen in an MR2 was still 500hp short of the record 4 banger numbers (~1100rwhp last i checked for full on drag car and ~850rwhp for a street car).

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 01-12-2011 at 10:24 AM.