Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

24" Magnaflow muffler installed on 98..

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24" Magnaflow muffler installed on 98..

Had the 24" Magnaflow that someone here recommended(TRDOLMAN ??) installed this morning. Its the 24" muffler with 2.5" inlet and an offset 2.5" outlet.

Fitting was a breeze as it slipped over the outside of the stock pipes.

Product as advertised. Nice growl under hard acceleration, silent on the over run. Very quiet inside at highway speeds.

The muffler was $79 shipped and $30 to install.

I will post some vid clips if I work out how to download them off the vid cam.

David
Old 08-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Dumb question but is there a way to install this backwards? I have a hookup and got the muffler for a yotatecher cheap. After his install, he said that the truck is more sluggish than stock. He did ask me during the install which side was the front and I didn't know. I didn't think it mattered.

I have the same muffler that I got for him and I love it. Perfect rumble and by the seat of the pants feel, it's better than stock. I just gave the muffler to the shop and they put it on. Any thoughts about his experience?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Dumb question but is there a way to install this backwards? I have a hookup and got the muffler for a yotatecher cheap. After his install, he said that the truck is more sluggish than stock. He did ask me during the install which side was the front and I didn't know. I didn't think it mattered.

I have the same muffler that I got for him and I love it. Perfect rumble and by the seat of the pants feel, it's better than stock. I just gave the muffler to the shop and they put it on. Any thoughts about his experience?
In my case, there is no way as the center inlet lines up with the existing pipe and the offset outlet perfectly with the tail pipe section.

So, I would say no but never say never....

David
Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 AM

In Some cases yes the muffler can be installed backward when your dealing with a cambered muffler... Like a FlowMaster that use special buffle system!! But Magnaflows and others that are straight thru design don't matter!!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i got a 18'' magnaflow cuz i like my rigs a little loud i get lots of looks and its pretty fun going in a parking garages and setting off a few car alarms
Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

so shorter is louder, right?
I want good meaty sound at idle, and dont mind a mild roar at WOT, but would like a reasonably quiet cabin...
Old 08-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
where'd you buy it from?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
so shorter is louder, right?
I want good meaty sound at idle, and dont mind a mild roar at WOT, but would like a reasonably quiet cabin...
yes shorter is louder i think you may want the 24'' mine is pretty loud all around
Old 08-01-2006, 04:25 PM
AK

i have been debating buying the 24" magnaflow for quite some time now. I really enjoy driving around with my rear window and other windows down. To those of you with the muffler, do you have any complaints on the sound when you have your rear window down?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

I have the 18", it sounds nice but can drone at highway speeds less than 60. So I heartily recommend the 24" instead if you want a quieter cabin and less of a hotrod sound.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:39 PM

After about 50 miles, I am VERY impressed with the highway cruising... al,ost silent unless you kick down in cruise or something.

Around town with the windows down is noiser than stock but very acceptable but may be on the threshold of passing the wife test.

Windows up, radio and air on and you cannot hear it around town.

I did go back this afternoon and have him tweak rear pipe as it was rattling on the underside of the body where it goes over the axle. This was because I had asked the installer to tuck it nice and high for clearance and he had gone a little far with the angle of the rear pipe...it only touched on hard acceleration but was annoying.

At that time I added a nice resonated tip which has cleaned up the boomy sound a little,

I bought it from Summit Racing...I will post the p/n later.

I had the 18" on my 03 V8 and it sounded unreal under acceleration but waay too oomy on the highway . It was a total head turner around town with people literally stpping me to ask what was under the hood

David
Old 08-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Yea definitely post the p/n I need a new exhaust on my 98 and this sounds like exactly what I want. I need to find a nice tip too.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:30 AM

Magnaflow 12286.

PART #: 12286
YEAR:
DESCRIPTION: Offset/Center
2.5" Inlet/Outlet
24" Body Length, 30" Overall Length.

Retail is $153.

I paid $79 with free shipping at Summit but I notice they are $87.95 today plus shipping

David
Old 08-02-2006, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
resonated tip

I also have the 24" magnaflow, like it a lot, also was thinking about adding a resonated tip. when you get one, does it totally replace your existing chrome exhaust tailpipe, or can it fit inside it? I like my jardine exhaust tip and would like to keep it if I can

I'll bet that it just clears up that last boomyness for pur magnaflow growl
the 24" is great, still just a little 'in your face" and I think after reading your post that I will go for the resonated tip or a small glasspack after all. thanks
Old 08-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AK
i have been debating buying the 24" magnaflow for quite some time now. I really enjoy driving around with my rear window and other windows down. To those of you with the muffler, do you have any complaints on the sound when you have your rear window down?
i have the 18'' and i drive with both front windows down and the back one i cant complain i love to here the exhuast will i can barley here it over my stereo lol
Old 08-02-2006, 12:31 PM

I have a 14" Magnaflow Muffler!! I have guys stopping me with there Toy's asking me if I've done a V8 Swap!!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

They dont ship till 8/22. I was gonna order mine today
Old 08-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

My question is did it make a noticeable difference in performance? Is it something that puts a smile on your face when you get on it & you wish you'd done it sooner or is it just a little better than stock?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

I have the 24/30 MagnaFlow and had the installer re-bend a new 2.5" pipe all the way out. I like the way it sounds, but there are some drawbacks.

The sound on it is cool... WAAAAY louder than I thought it would be, but that's only a problem to my wife, not me. With the windows up, it's not overpowering, but I have 2-layers of sound deadener and I can DEFINATLEY hear it.

The first MAJOR drawback is that my gas mileage went down by roughly 2mpg. I have gone 2 full tanks since this install and my mileage went from 13.2 mpg (closer 16mpg - add 20% for lift & tires) down to 11.7 mpg (14 mpg). Now, in this economy with gas prices the way they are... that makes this muffler install a LOT more expensive than it should be. Especially when it was fabled that this would give me BETTER gas mileage.

The second drawback is that I have felt a definate loss in horsepower. The sound of the thing is awsome, but going up hills just doesn't feel the same at all. It seems that it takes longer for the truck to adjust to different levels of terrain and I have to step on the gas harder than ever (to the floor most of the time) to get it to downshift when I need the extra power.

Maybe it's just my muffler, but I'm serioulsy considering going back to a OEM muffler pretty soon. It'll be a $110 lesson learned, but it'll cost me less in the long run.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
...had the installer re-bend a new 2.5" pipe all the way out.

The second drawback is that I have felt a definate loss in horsepower.
The first point is contributing to the result...

2.5" pipe on a NA 3.4L engine is a lot of pipe. The stock 2.25" is fine unless you've done something to increase the airflow through the system, like adding a supercharger.

I've been through this... the size of the pipe is very touchy on this engine.

From Magnaflow's own site:
http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp

To reduce additional backpressure, the OEM exhaust tubing can be replaced with mandrel-bent tubing of the same size or one size up from the OEM. As a general rule, you can enlarge the pipe diameter of your OEM exhaust system by 1/4 to 1/2-inch to increase your horsepower. However, any additional increase in pipe diameter is likely to decrease your performance; specifically, low end torque.

Last edited by midiwall; 08-04-2006 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 24" Magnaflow muffler installed on 98..