Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22re leaning out?

Old 12-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re leaning out?

In this last month, I have noticed that my truck seems to have a bit a ping/nock. It mainly happens in 4th and 5th gear when im on the gas pretty hard. Sometimes it will happen in 3rd gear if im going up a really steep hill. I was just wondering if you guys think it could be a lean condition. I have a aftermarket cam, swapped battery and intake, deckplate, and 2.25 catback w/ flowmaster. Could this increased airflow overcome the stock FI? Could dirty injectors, dirty intake, bad fuel filter cause the lean or would it more likely be from the mods? I also have not checked my timing, so advanced timing is not quite out the picture yet. Which would probally be more likely, lean or timing? When I get some light ill pull my plugs and take a picture of them and post it up to see if you can spot a lean condition. Ill seafoam again too, and see if that helps.

Thanks!!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Banned

try the timing.... when i was tuning my truck a couple weeks ago, within differnt adjustments on it, i had found that the timing had jumped 5* from where i had set it 5 minutes earlier
Old 12-23-2004, 12:13 AM

I had a 93 P/U with a 22re. I know you can cut the silicone sealant from your mass air flow sensor to get inside it and turn the gears. Turning the gears can make a richer or leaner air fuel mixture. My truck didn't pass smog after I f***ed with the MAF, but it did run better. I still have a LC Engineering air/ fuel controller for that motor, along with an Autometer Carbon Fiber Air Fuel Gauge in a chrome bezel. I will sell it all for $85 shipped. The gauge alone was that much money. I only used this for two months, before selling the truck. email koyota93@yahoo.com
Old 12-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

85 for the whole thing, guage and air/fuel controller? Nice. Ill dork around with the timing a bit this weekend.

Also one more.
Could this condition seriouly harm my motor at all?

Thanks a bunch!!
Old 12-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Banned

it could cuase excess carbon buildup if its rich, and will hurt performance...... if its lean it could cuase it to overheat.....
Old 12-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Ok just went out on drive, and its gettin really bad, it is even doing it in 2nd gear now. In 5th if I even give it gas it will ping. This is really starting to piss me off. I put some chevron injector cleaner in with about half a tank today. Then this weekend ill retime and put in some new plugs. If that doesnt help then I dont know what ill do...

Heres a picture of what one of the plugs looks like right now, leads me to think its not running lean, hopefully its just the timing.

If anyone has any suggestions lets have em. Im starting to run out of ideas!!!

Thanks
Old 12-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone have a link to the proper procedure to time a 22re? My chilton manual is very vauge on how to time the 22re.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:48 AM

I think it is set at 5 degrees. Don't quote me. You have to loosen the bolt on the side of the distributor so that you can turn it. Using a timing light, turn the distributor till the mark is at 5 degrees.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:08 PM

You'll need to warm the engine up to operating temp and run a jumper wire between terminals TE1 and E1. These terminals are located in a small diagnostic box next to the fusebox in the engine compartment. When the terminals are jumped, your idle speed should slow down. As mentioned above, loosen the distributor hold down bolt and turn the distributor 'til the mark is at 5*.

Make sure your EGR valve is working properly too and a compression check wouldn't hurt either. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Arnold; 12-24-2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:41 PM

thanks arnold, forgot about the jumper wire.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

I think the egr is messed up, because when I bought the truck i saw that the vaccum line going into the top of it was disconnected and ziptied closed. I am thinking about pulling off the whole intake, cleaning it, change the fuel filter, clean the egr, clean injectors, etc. Right now I have the idle set at around 1000-1100 because anything below that is really rough, i suspect because of the cam, but I'm sure having the timing advanced to far will play a part in that too. I check the timing tomorrow and let you guys know what i find. Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Contributing Member

I cant find my timing light, but I pulled off the EGR valve and did my best to clean that up. I used about a can of carb cleaner and got a ton of gunk outa it. It still seems to stay slightly open, but not nearly as much as before. Could anyone let me know what gaskets I would need if i was going to pull the intake plenum, t.b., and injectors?
Thanks

Last edited by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun; 12-26-2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:03 AM

Do you have access to a vacuum pump/gun? If you do, apply vacuum to the fitting on the top of the EGR valve and make sure you don't lose any vacuum pressure. If it does, it's probably time to replace it. More than likely that's why the previous owner pulled/plugged the vacuum line.

As for the gaskets, go to Schuck's and ask for an intake manifold gasket set. It should have everything for the plenum and EGR valve. IIRC, you'll have to buy the throttlebody gasket separately. They sell an injector o-ring kit too.

Oven cleaner works great for cleaning out the inside of the plenum. Just don't let it soak too long or it'll probably eat through it.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You might also pop for an Air/Fuel meter. I put one on my slightly modified 22RE (cam, intake, exhaust upgrades) and the stock Fi keeps up fine under all conditions, goes full rich any time you get into it. You might also check and see if you are getting any diagnostic codes from the ECU.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member

I drove it today after cleaning the EGR and it hardly pinged at all! I did noticed that a few times it idled a little low. I didnt replace the gaskets on the egr so one could be slightly leaking. Ill pull it off again and put some rvt on it. One thing that still has not changed is when i start the truck when its warm, it idles at around 500rpms pretty rough. After a few minutes it goes back to normal and idles around 1000rpms. Would timing cause this? I'm still going to check my timing, but im just curious to find out why its doing that. Thanks alot.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, I checked my timing today and it was around 7-8* advanced. I adjusted it to a bit below 5. When I drove the truck it still pinged. The idle is still pretty rough too. Could a burn valve be the cause of this whole deal? Ill try adjusting the valves and see where that takes me.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Just checked compression and its pretty good.

1-180
2-172
3-170
4-180
Old 12-27-2004, 03:53 PM

a slightly overheated yoty engine will ping.try a cooler t/stat.if that helps you may have a cooling problem.mine does,see overcooling by 3yotys.also a sparkplug with the wrong heat range will cause this.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

My temp guage always sits right at half, you can always see a bit of the picture on the guage to the right of the needle. I also run redline water wetter in my coolant, but overheating could still be the problem, ill look into that. What plug do you use? I'm pretty sure I am running NGK BPR5EY plugs.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2004, 04:32 PM

Check your knock sensor. I had a lose knock sensor on mine when i rebuilt my engine. The knock sensor senses ping and makes adjustments Via the ECU which can cause it to run rich or lean. In my circumstance my sensor was ratteling from being lose sending a false ping reading to the ECU and the Ecu was making adjustments. Which in turn the adjustments were causing an actuall ping in my engine while under a load at low RPM's. I Put a little thread seal on the sensor and reinstalled it, problem solved. One note make sure you do not over torque the sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22re leaning out?