Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

is the 22re an interference engine (not a stupid question)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake Valve at full Open... as you can see from the pic the vavle does not go past the head. Therefore it cannot hit the piston

Exhaust Valve. Fully compressed Does however extend past the head, but the pistion is notched to make room for the vavle.

So Im still convinced its a Non interferance engine. At least mine is

Originally Posted by 44Runner
Unless you went through a lot of trouble how can you tell how far the valves open with the head off the block?

Um.... it's called a clamp... Compress the spring and force the lifter open. Im also pretty sure the that I've forced the lifters much further open than the cam would ever do.

Last edited by 4Hummer; 11-15-2005 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:38 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Are those hemispherical heads? So all you (lucky) 22R/22RE guys can tell the Dodge guys you have a Hemi too! (and be more accurate than they are as the new "Hemi" doesn't have hemispherical heads)
Not quite - that isnt' a true hemi head design. Funny thing though, some of the Camry 4cyls were - they even said Hemi Head right on the valve cover. HA!
Old 11-14-2005, 10:45 PM

If I can sell at least one full engine replacement job valued at $1500 profit to just one victim in WA then I will have to lie to you all and say that the 22R-E is a non-interference engine. Go ahead, test it for me everyone. PM me when you need it fixed, k thx bye!
Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 PM

No its not I've been working on everything since diapers

I have worked on all of the 22s and 20s at least 30 of them, I've seen timing chains break, bind, twist up, tear through the cover after cutting through the guides I have yet to have seen one bend a valve or even knick a piston except for anything pre 84 only one case and overheating appeared to be the cause, improper camshafts or badly rebuilt heads are all I've found actually causing damage to the valves or pistons generally easy fix due to cheap valves and materials if the head hasn't overheated which almost all of these things do if not properly maintained in many aspects of this motor type, Hondas pre 2000 are supposed to be the same supposedly when they break a belt, worked on at least 200 of those half being cylinder head and belt issues only ever found one with a bent valve and that was due to mechanic error cover seal was not properly installed wrapped itself around the cam sprocket and shot the camshaft through the valve cover on one side some dual overhead cam motors and the vtech motors different story throw a belt engine is done I have yet to see anything but the Toyota 6 cylinders actually bend a valve for any reason anything after 2000 anybody's guess so many different motors and configurations although all different pistons, watch out for rv cams they tear up fast if not properly lubed and installed dealing with that on my dolphin, bought it with a brand new cam rv1 but idiot didn't use break in lube and adjusted the valve clearance 2 thousands of a inch on all the valves put deep pits in the center of the lobes and tore the rocker shoes into all different angles this is one of the issues I constantly find on all of the 22s trying a rv2 cam and new rockers praying I can get the fuel injection system to handle the excess of needed fuel hard to tune and tends to overheat the motor if not done absolutely right in every respect of the hotter combustion temperatures on these motors but I have a actual rv so who knows I'll keep colder running spark plugs and ignition parts and I should still have all the power with less chance of a overheat dragging 10,000 pounds of weight with a 22re. any suggestions give me a ring and no not putting in a v8 on a worthless 87 dolphin kinda pointless built entirely of aluminum, 1/8" wood and plastic, vinyl and fiberglass one slight accident on any part of this thing and it would explode into pieces if a vehicle hit me. To think this thing will be my coffin in near future fatal genetic disorders and medicaid won't let me have life saving surgery. Lost everything over it had my own business for over 20 years. I taught my teachers in school worked on everything even a couple super cars McLaren and a xj jag 12 cylinder supercharged 1500 horse. Give me 30 grand and I can build nearly anything with superior power to anything including the gtr 12 cylinders Nissan has beating everything on the market, 3000$ gave my ford ltd 400ci 500 horse almost the same in torque just a little higher spits concrete from the weight of a 5900 pounds 74 2 door losing that soon my last muscle car ever to be built by me had a slant six that put out even more power a 60 grand motor but brother stole it took 20 years to build broke my heart forever would have been a 7 second dart way better then the 11 second duster 340 I lost and built was my grandmother's.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:32 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
This appears to be put in the wrong section back in 2005,.., 12 years ago, so your a little late to the convo, I didn't read through your story, but by reading a few sentences it sounds like you own a race shop that just started out by your claims, and if you can't build a race car with 30,000 you've got issues.

Last edited by Malcolm99; 03-11-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are issues alright.