is the 22re an interference engine (not a stupid question) - YotaTech Forums


Go Back   > >


95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

is the 22re an interference engine (not a stupid question)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
punkbek3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 89
is the 22re an interference engine (not a stupid question)

before you flame me or tell me to search, i have. a lot of people say its an interference engine but a few have actually tested it to see and they say that 22re's are not interference engines. the consensus is that 20r's and 22r's are interference, but the 22re's have cutouts in the piston, so they could be non interference. could people who actually know firsthand reply so we can set this straight once and for all? thanks in advance.
punkbek3886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Glenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ELN
Posts: 1,647
The 22RE is interference. The cutouts don't affect that.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Flamedx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Posts: 3,291
Same question for the 3.0 while you're at it...
Flamedx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
Registered User
 
trx125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Youfalla, Al
Posts: 399
That is what the cutout's are for! the valves occupy the same space as the pistons @ the top of the stroke! Cutouts allows valves to open with out hitting the piston(when timed correctly)! Just my dumb A@@ assessmet to the theory!
trx125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Glenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ELN
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx125
That is what the cutout's are for! the valves occupy the same space as the pistons @ the top of the stroke! Cutouts allows valves to open with out hitting the piston(when timed correctly)! Just my dumb A@@ assessmet to the theory!
A non-interference engine's valves should never hit the piston, even without a timing chain/belt.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
Contributing Member
 
Silver_Truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: B'ham, WA
Posts: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Same question for the 3.0 while you're at it...
3.0 is non interference
Silver_Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
Contributing Member
 
marko3xl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
3.0 is non interference
I thought it was...
marko3xl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:00 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Jared Ajlouny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 575
here we go again...haha
Jared Ajlouny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #9
Registered User
 
4Hummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,969
22RE is NOT an interferance ENGINE.. I should know I just tore the darn thing apart.

The piston only go the full lenght of the block. the intake valves when fully open do not extend past the head itself, the exhaust valve extends a few mm past the head, but the pistion is notched the exact amount the exhaust valve sticks out.


Heres the block. At top dead center the pistion does not go past the top of the block.


heres the head.



There is NO WAY the Pistions can SLAM into the valves....

Last edited by 4Hummer; 11-14-2005 at 08:36 PM.
4Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:10 PM   #10
tc
Contributing Member
 
tc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 8,874
Are those hemispherical heads? So all you (lucky) 22R/22RE guys can tell the Dodge guys you have a Hemi too! (and be more accurate than they are as the new "Hemi" doesn't have hemispherical heads)
tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #11
Contributing Member
 
marko3xl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc
Are those hemispherical heads? So all you (lucky) 22R/22RE guys can tell the Dodge guys you have a Hemi too! (and be more accurate than they are as the new "Hemi" doesn't have hemispherical heads)
You learn something new everyday. I never knew what HEMI meant.
marko3xl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #12
Registered User
 
kyle_22r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lacey, WA
Posts: 3,981
the '84 and older engines(20R, 22R, 22R-E) used dome top pistons that go above the deck height of the block with a hemispherical head. well, the 20R used somewhat flat top pistons, but that's irrelevant here.

these are most certainly interference engines! i have no idea what 4hummer said, it didn't make any sense.

the cutouts on the '85-up 22R and 22R-E are to enable more lift on the camshaft. rather than the hemi head with domed pistons like the '84-down engines, these have a quench style head with kidney shaped chambers that put the valves closer to the block, making the cutouts necessary. you pop the timing chain and if the cam is in the right spot, you will smacks some valves.
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #13
Contributing Member
 
marko3xl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_22r
the '84 and older engines(20R, 22R, 22R-E) used dome top pistons that go above the deck height of the block with a hemispherical head. well, the 20R used somewhat flat top pistons, but that's irrelevant here.

these are most certainly interference engines! i have no idea what 4hummer said, it didn't make any sense.

the cutouts on the '85-up 22R and 22R-E are to enable more lift on the camshaft. rather than the hemi head with domed pistons like the '84-down engines, these have a quench style head with kidney shaped chambers that put the valves closer to the block, making the cutouts necessary. you pop the timing chain and if the cam is in the right spot, you will smacks some valves.
Well then, 4Hummer got very lucky in that case, because his timing chain went and his engine seemed just fine.
marko3xl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:12 PM   #14
Registered User
 
44Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hummer
22RE is NOT an interferance ENGINE.. I should know I just tore the darn thing apart.

The piston only go the full lenght of the block. the valves when fully open do not extend past the head itself, the


Heres the block.


heres the head.



The is NO WAY the Pistions can SLAM into the valves....
ok, you have totally confused me.

you post a picture of the bottom end. you are right, the pistons do not go above the deck height of the block. But then you post a picture of the head. What is this telling us?

Unless you went through a lot of trouble how can you tell how far the valves open with the head off the block?

Now to those who say that, oh there are notches for the valves in the piston, therefore it MUST be non interference. That makes no sense. the valves are never fully open when the piston is at the very top of the stoke so that is how they manage to miss the piston, not because there are notches for them.

also, the combustion camber on a 22RE is NOT hemispherical. I hate to burst anyones bubble. I guess it is hard too make out in the picture. Not to mention its is kind of understood in the realm of hemis that they have a top mounted spark plug, which 22REs do not...
44Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:13 PM   #15
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
punkbek3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 89
4hummer is saying that when he took his head off he saw the pistons dont come above the top of the block and the valves dont stick down past the bottom of the head, so theres no way the two can interact. i hope this is true, but so many people say they can hit.
punkbek3886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:15 PM   #16
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
punkbek3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner
Unless you went through a lot of trouble how can you tell how far the valves open with the head off the block?
thats also a good question
punkbek3886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #17
Registered User
 
44Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkbek3886
4hummer is saying that when he took his head off he saw the pistons dont come above the top of the block and the valves dont stick down past the bottom of the head, so theres no way the two can interact. i hope this is true, but so many people say they can hit.
ok ok ok.....everyone here does know that when intake and exhaust valves open up, they are pushed into the cumbustion chamber right?

timing chain break does not automatically mean that a valve is gotta make contact with a piston. For that to happen the cam needs to have stopped in a position where a valve is open.

Now, keep in mind, I honestly don't know if this is an interference engine or not but everyones "evidence" so far doesn't mean anything. That is all I am saying.

Last edited by 44Runner; 11-14-2005 at 06:21 PM.
44Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:26 PM   #18
Registered User
 
44Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkbek3886
thats also a good question


for anyone not following this, to get the block off the head you obviously pull the head bolts that screw through the head and into the block. No crap right? Well these same bolts on a 22RE also clamp the rocker assembly to the head. So with the head off the block you can not see how far the camshaft can open the valves because your rocker assembly is no longer on the head...
44Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #19
Registered User
 
kyle_22r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lacey, WA
Posts: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner
also, the combustion camber on a 22RE is NOT hemispherical. I hate to burst anyones bubble. I guess it is hard too make out in the picture. Not to mention its is kind of understood in the realm of hemis that they have a top mounted spark plug, which 22REs do not...
the 20R and early 22R have an "open" somewhat hemispherical chamber. true hemi it is not, but a hemi isn't exactly a perfect engine, pretty inefficient. some think the 20R head swap is because of it's open chamber, when in reality the performance increase comes from the better port design.

the quench chamber of the '85-95 22R and 22R-E is a better design for power than the "open" chamber of the '84 and earlier engines, though...
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:08 PM   #20
Contributing Member
 
RED 85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 942
Well if you are talking about interferance as far as if the valves at some point can hit the piston then yes they are. Proof is when not timed right you bend valves, if this is correct then i have bent my vavles and had too get new ones. so that should clear it up unless i am not understanding this right. I don't have pics but did see with my own eyes the markes in the pistons where the vavles hit and also the bent valves.
RED 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
87 22r rebuild issue bigjstang 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 10 06-10-2016 06:15 PM
1985 re engine wiring steve miller General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics 2 10-10-2015 01:40 AM
'86 Turbo Fuel Pump Replacement Question TURBOrunnerNM 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 4 07-22-2015 11:01 AM
83 pickup lift and engine rebuild God's Bounty Hunter Pre 84 Trucks 6 07-08-2015 12:54 PM
1985 22re a/c install help bryan34w 84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 0 07-06-2015 05:53 PM


Tags
22r, 22re, 3rzfe, 84, combustion, dome, engine, interferance, interference, motor, piston, pistons, space, stroke, style, top, toyota

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:20 PM.


2010 InternetBrands, Inc.