Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22RE exhaust studs

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 22RE exhaust studs

hgf
Please if this has been explained elsewhere , be gentle with me as I am a new user .

Recently installed a Doug Thorley Nickle plated header on my 94 4Runner, pretty painless until now.
Went to retourqe the studs and found that I pulled threads out of the head 35ft.lbs maybe to much tourqe .
anyways, anyone use heli coils or am I looking at a bigger more expensive fix ?
Thanks for any assistance you guys and gals may have to offer.
FLHTC.

Last edited by FLHTC; 03-27-2005 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo error in explanation
Old 03-27-2005, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How you liking the header? I have one on my 22re...thorleys are cool.

Anyway I haven't had any problem with my runner, but my celica snapped an exhaust manifold bolt off. The motor is sideways, so it is hard to get to. My mechanic replaced it for like 20.00

Yours is easy to get to and there is a lot more left to work with. I think it wouldn't be too expensive.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i wish i could get those things tight enough to snap off. the aluminum is so soft that if you tighten them too much, they pull out, and not enough the nuts back off. a real pain to deal with.

you can helicoil the stud hole, but for some reason the kits cost an arm and a leg
Old 03-27-2005, 10:18 AM

Death runner and kyle, thanks for the tips.
Will try and see about the heli kit tuesday when everything opens back up after Easter Holidays.
As far as liking the header , hadnt really had enough time to like or dislike causse I have been dealing with exhaust leaks between flange and head.
but the price here in Canada was right and was an easy install save for pulling the threads out of the head on the one pesky stud.
Cheers and thanks for the reply.
FLHTC
Old 03-27-2005, 11:18 PM

I had exact same problem-Ihad an exhaust leak between head and manifold-it sounded cool but eventualy ruined my head -hot gas melted it.As for the stud- the mechanic broke it while removing-he repaired it with helicoil-works like a charm.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:22 PM

I think that NAPA has a kit to repair this problem. It is a common problem.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Banned

ok digging up old posts.... was working on the rig today and looked @ my exhuast manifold... was like hmmm there looks like no tension on that lockwasher... sure enough there wasnt started tightening it and the stud not nut was spinning..... the rearmost stud is stripped..... figure one isnt too bad, so i went to tighten the lower one below it... its not even there... uh-oh...... time to helicoil it... where is the best place? i need cheap, but need to make sure this doesnt happen again... hell, might just helicoil all the bolt holes on that side for new studs...... then locktite, the red stuff....
Old 07-16-2005, 11:28 PM

if you want something better then a helicoil there are complete kits that have inserts, you drill and tap the hole to a bigger size then put a thread inster in it, although this would probably cost more then you want to spend, it is definitally a higher quality fix
Old 07-17-2005, 03:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 03_4x4Runner
if you want something better then a helicoil there are complete kits that have inserts, you drill and tap the hole to a bigger size then put a thread inster in it, although this would probably cost more then you want to spend, it is definitally a higher quality fix
where can these be found? i jsut want it fixed, cheap, expen$ive, not to big a deal at this point, i jsut dont want my exhuast manifold falling off or damaging hte engine.... helicoils would work fine too, but last time i even looked for any, didn't find anything clsoe to what i needed.....
Old 07-17-2005, 04:54 AM

The Helicoil exhaust stud kit is NAPA part # 770-3020.

It has a tube of thread inserts, tap and installation tool.

The inserts 03_4x4Runner mentions are called Timecerts. They are drilled and countersunk complete inserts rather than just threads. Helicoils work fine, but the Timecerts are probably better, but cost more.

Anyway, if you go the Timecert way, the exhaust stud threads are M10x1.25. Not sure how deep the threads go, maybe 15mm? I only say that because the Helicoil inserts are 15mm long. Everyone I know has used the NAPA kit and so we've never bothered trying to track down anything else.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 03_4x4Runner
i bought the cheap heli-coil knockoffs when i did my 20R head(figured i'd coil all the holes since it was out and "easy" to do...yeah right). it had a metal installation tool. first one i put in, it hung up halfway down the hole and busted the tang off the tool :cry:

the rest were pretty painful to get in. i hate doing that job.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
The Helicoil exhaust stud kit is NAPA part # 770-3020.
It has a tube of thread inserts, tap and installation tool.
anyone got anotehr part #? that one doesnt show on napaonline
Old 09-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Banned

as my truck is seriously about to blow up right now, i want to bring this topic back up.... is there anotehr napa part number to look up?

or anywhere else to get the good helicoil kit?

i need to do my timing, and i should probably try and take care of my exhuast problem as well also
Old 09-27-2005, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
as my truck is seriously about to blow up right now, i want to bring this topic back up.... is there anotehr napa part number to look up?

or anywhere else to get the good helicoil kit?

i need to do my timing, and i should probably try and take care of my exhuast problem as well also
Jim try these,

McMaster Carr Just search for "Helicoil"

MSC

Grainger search for "recoil"

Hope that helps

Last edited by PirateFins; 09-27-2005 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned

looks like i might have to piece together a repair... what size am i looking for? thread pitch, and how long of an insert... i am currently missing a couple of the oem studs, however have a cracked head i think i can harvest parts off of... is there a way to locktite them? or will it do no good as the ehaust is too hot? also i will need to drill the hole bigger? or it will work as is? i have never dealt with helicoils before...
Old 10-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Banned

bump, i need the info i asked for above... also what about locktite? seems liek it would melt or something but should i try anyways?

the part # for napa doesnt work, i have a spare head (its cracked) but will still work for piecing parts for it.... i will take to the store with me if i need to later as well.....
Old 10-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Banned

well, since no one helped me, eitehr yall are just mena and dont like me, or you dont know the answer..... i went to napa... and got my heli-coil

its an m10x1.25x15mm length insert that uses a 13/32 drill bit..... the drill bit was $7 and the otehr thing was !!! $ 52 !!!!! its a plastic threaded tool with a part inside that has a metal insert for the tang engagement of the thread insert

how deep do i need to go? i am going to have to also rent a right angle drill, as i dont have one and there is no way anything else will fit in my truck, unless i decide to do some fenderwell trimming, which i might
Old 10-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Banned

is 15mm long enough? the kit says they can be doubled up if needed, i dont see how with the tang in the way though.... also how deep should i run the drill bit?
Old 10-09-2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
is 15mm long enough? the kit says they can be doubled up if needed, i dont see how with the tang in the way though.... also how deep should i run the drill bit?
Take a smaller drill bit and put it into the existing hole to measure the depth. Use some masking tape and mark the depth on the bit for the heli-coil. That way you don't go deeper then needed. 15mm should be good enough, machinest handbook says at least approx 3-4 threads of engament is proper.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Banned

thanks brad

Quick Reply: 22RE exhaust studs