Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22R pinging is back

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
22R pinging is back

I thought I had it fixed, but my pinging seems to be back again. I think it has something to do with the BVSV system. It was really hot yesterday and the temperature of my truck started to climb, no where near overheating, but a little hotter than usual, which is when it would start to ping. It seemed to not ping when the temperature cooled down. From what I understand, the BVSV switches vacuum to advance the timing when the truck heats up so that the engine spins faster and cools down quicker at stop lights. Is there something that is suppose to switch the vacuum back when driving, or maybe when the engine spins faster or something? Is the timing suppose to go back to normal when I start driving? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe try just adjusting the timing? Just a thought.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:55 PM

I have been adjusting the timing, but it still seems to ping. My timing is already set about 1-2* ATDC (the manual says to set it at 0*). I have also checked some other things, such as EGR, HAI, done a tune-up, etc.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the same problem on a 22re that was driven by and old guy before me that only put 10k miles in 5 years! Usually the problem is carbon buildup in the combustion chambers...this raises the effective compression ratio and causes ping. You need to clean the combustion chambers and VERY FEW pour-in-your-tank bottles will do this well. Redline SI-1 is one of the best. Even better...find one of those shops that can blast walnut shells in teh chamber through the spark plug holes. Works like a charm, but hard to find people that do it.

Also, I think you're misunderstanding the timing issue. Advancing the timing does not "make the engine spin faster to cool it down quicker". It changes the point at which the fuel air mix is ignited in the compression stroke. More advance causes cylinder pressures to rise earlier, which increases ping. Just thought I'd clean that up for you.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:21 PM

Thank you for the advice. I have tried revving it way up and I have also tried putting in a bottle of Techron. Do either of those things really work? About the timing issue, I heard somewhere that the BVSV closes one of the vacuum lines to allow more vacuum to the vacuum advance, causing the timing to advance which makes the fuel burn more efficiently and raise the idle speed a little. This spins the fan faster and pulls more air through the radiator to cool it down in traffic. I noticed the idle speeds up and the timing advances when I pinch one of the vacuum lines (I think it is the one closest to the front of the vehicle). This is what I have heard, so if this is not right or does not make any sense then please correct me. Thanks

Last edited by the_supernerd; 04-28-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Revving it isn't going to do anything at all. Techron can help a tiny bit, but honestly, its never a noticeable amount. Advancing the timing, yes, can get a bit better burn efficiency, but will greatly increase any ping you already have. It makes the cylinder pressure start rising earlier, which contribute to ping, the opposite of correcting it. Trust me on this. Your idle MAY come up a small bit when you advance the timing, BUT, this increase will NOT cool your engine more. Think about it...if you turn the fan faster, where is that extra speed coming from? The motor is firing more often per second, which means it generates more heat per unit time, so the fan is turning faster, but now has to remove more heat. In many cases, your engine will running hotter if you increase the idle speed in traffic.

Using timing to adjust your idle speed is a backdoor way of doing it, anyways. If you really want to adjust idle, adjust the idle speed stop screw or teh idle misture screw instead.

Oh, and retarding your timing, not advancing it, will help stop your ping, but you will lose some power by having to retard it.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will try a bottle of Redline. I have been slowly retarding the timing to make it stop. Although I do not have as much power as when it is more advanced, I figure it is better for my engine to not ping. I remember hearing once that dumping a small stream of water in the carburetor while running the vehicle at about 2000 RPM would help remove carbon from the cylinder. Is this true or way off? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by the_supernerd; 04-30-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Banned

Have you adjusted the valves lately? How many miles on your rig? Timing chain? Set the timing to exactly 8 dgrees and adjust your valves. That will cause some pinging if they are out. What kind of cam are you running? Fuel is 87 or 91 octane?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:31 AM

Ping no worries. maybe the last gas you got was winter blend. it got to hot and BAM! you got the vapor blues. Winter gas has a lower boiling temp than summer. It was to ignite at a lower temp than summer. Thus ping. Consider some fuel injection cleaner and wait for the summer blend.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the advice, but I have about 8,000 miles on a new chain and about 157700 miles on my truck. The tag on the hood says to time it to 0* and I have retarded it to about 2* after TDC. It has been pinging since before I got my valves adjust (about 10,000 miles ago), so my valves do not seem to be the problem and neither does the gas. I have ran 87 octane since I have owned it and my parents have ran the same gas since it has 16,000 miles on it. I am thinking that CrazyDiamond is right, and that there is a lot of carbon on the pistons. The last time I changed my spark plugs they seemed to have a lot of carbon built up on them. Is there any particular thing that causes excessive carbon build up? Thanks again for all of your help.

Last edited by the_supernerd; 04-30-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Banned

Are the plugs black??? And is this a 22r or 22re? May not be the correct timing. For a 22r remove both vac lines off the distributor (vacuum advance) and timing needs to be at 0* (roughly 5*). For a 22re you need to jumper the TE1 termanal and the E1 (centrifugal) then set timing to 0* (roughly 8*).
If the plugs are fouled w/ a black sooty stuff, your running way to rich, lack of air. Whats the air filter look like?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:48 PM

I removed and plugged both vacuum advance hoses when I set the timing. I did notice that the timing does not change when I hook them back up. From what I remember, the spark plugs had more of a grayish white sooty stuff on them and they were not completely fouled. The air filter is new, probably has less than 1000 miles on it, and is an OEM Toyota air filter. My engine is a 22R carbureted. I have also recently sprayed some carburetor cleaner in it and cleaned it out.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Banned

Hmmm, that could be too hot, lean, or to far advanced on the timing. Did you plug both the vacuum lines after you pulled them?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:49 PM

Both vacuum lines were plugged when I set the timing, but the timing does not seem to change any when they are off or on at idle speed.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

I know on my 86 22r ,when you pull both lines off the vacuum advance and switch one of them it will advance the dist.....pull it off it you can hear it click back down. Take off the cap and put vacuum to the advance and see if it moves inside the dist.