Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22-RE running rough

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
22-RE running rough

My 22-RE has had some problems running really rough at idle. It's also very sluggish at low RPM's and it seems like it isn't getting enough gas. When the truck sits at idle, example being at a traffic light, parking lot, etc, the engine runs very rough, like it's almost stalling, and it does this constantly. If i give it a very little amount of gas, it idle's fine, but it's still really sluggish. This makes me think that it is not the idle speed, but rather that it's not getting gas. I'm trying to put some cleaner through, the fuel system cleaner, as well as fuel injector cleaner. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, was it just a dirty fuel filter/line, or did the fuel injectors neet to be replaced? Thanks.
Isaac
Old 10-09-2004, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
My 22-RE has had some problems running really rough at idle. It's also very sluggish at low RPM's and it seems like it isn't getting enough gas. When the truck sits at idle, example being at a traffic light, parking lot, etc, the engine runs very rough, like it's almost stalling, and it does this constantly. If i give it a very little amount of gas, it idle's fine, but it's still really sluggish. This makes me think that it is not the idle speed, but rather that it's not getting gas. I'm trying to put some cleaner through, the fuel system cleaner, as well as fuel injector cleaner. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, was it just a dirty fuel filter/line, or did the fuel injectors neet to be replaced? Thanks.
Isaac
It sounds like the same problem I had. I took it in to my mechanic and he did diagnostic testing and found it had an obstruction in the 3rd cylinder injector. I got the car back and it ran great, about a week ago i noticed it started doing it again. :pat: I took it back to him and he also found the plate in the MAF was getting stuck open because of the carbon build up. He cleaned up and redid the air fuel mixture and now it runs flawlessly!! Good luck
Old 10-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 93bluetoyota
It sounds like the same problem I had. I took it in to my mechanic and he did diagnostic testing and found it had an obstruction in the 3rd cylinder injector. I got the car back and it ran great, about a week ago i noticed it started doing it again. :pat: I took it back to him and he also found the plate in the MAF was getting stuck open because of the carbon build up. He cleaned up and redid the air fuel mixture and now it runs flawlessly!! Good luck
Did he have to replace the injector, or just clean it. An injector kit is like 200 bucks, so if i can take a weekend and pull out mine and clean them up, that would be great. Also, sorry, but i've not heard the term MAF before. What is that exactly? Thanks
Isaac
Old 10-09-2004, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Did he have to replace the injector, or just clean it. An injector kit is like 200 bucks, so if i can take a weekend and pull out mine and clean them up, that would be great. Also, sorry, but i've not heard the term MAF before. What is that exactly? Thanks
Isaac
No he did not replace the injector. He used this machine the he mixed gas and a very powerful detergent with and hooked it into my fuel line. It shoots the mixture through injector and dislodges the piece.....hopefully. The MAF mass airflow sensor is the box looking thing on top of your airbox that the intake tube hooks into. It measures the airflow that goes into you engine. If i get a chance I will post a picture of what the MAF is.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 93bluetoyota
No he did not replace the injector. He used this machine the he mixed gas and a very powerful detergent with and hooked it into my fuel line. It shoots the mixture through injector and dislodges the piece.....hopefully. The MAF mass airflow sensor is the box looking thing on top of your airbox that the intake tube hooks into. It measures the airflow that goes into you engine. If i get a chance I will post a picture of what the MAF is.
no need to post, i know what you are talking about now. Thanks so much. Thanks for the help. I guess this special machine is not something i'll be able to get my hands on, so i'll be heading to the mechanic. Thanks. Isaac
Old 09-25-2014, 09:25 AM

is anyone around here still? i have the 22-re, 1990 pickup and same symptoms. i have watched videos of cleaning mafs on other trucks and it is very easy, two screws, lift it out and spray. i don't see anything on my truck that does that. i took off the part that controls the air but nothing to remove and clean just a short nylon peg extending down 1/4" or so with a hole in it. i cleaned everything but no change. ??? thanks, john
Old 09-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Well, that was a very old post of mine.

Turned out to be a jumped timing chain and the whole top end was rebuilt. Never got to the MAF cleaning since it wasn't that. The maf is connected to the air box. Should be able to remove the top of the air box and the connecting hose and unbolt the maf from the airbox.

Good luck.