Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22-re intake manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22-re intake manifold question

hey all,

i was wondering if it was even possible to get the entire intake manifold off with out first removing the air chamber?
or do i need to take that off so i can then take the efi assembly off THEN the intake manifold. my air chamber is stuck to the intake manifold becuase of one bolt that, from the looks of it, has an expanded thread thats blocking the intake manifold from just sliding off PITA free.

but i guess what they say is true: "if everything goes right your doing something wrong."
i would greatly appreciate any help i can get guys. thanks alot
Old 03-05-2004, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been working with that recently...

I just cleaned my own fuel injectors and pulled the air intake chamber first, then the rest of the manifold. BUT...

The only thing that I can remember that would keep you from taking the whole thing off is the fuel line from the fuel filter that goes to the fuel rail. You may be able to disconnect the outlet line from the fuel filter and then take the whole thing off as a unit.

***Don't forget to disconnect the AIR injection crap that is bolted to the underside of the intake. It will PREVENT you from getting the intake off at all if you don't. It's easiest to unbolt the outlet tube (approx. 1" diam, copper colored, runs back along firewall) and the mounting bracket from the bottom of the intake. 2 small 12mm bolts for each piece...use a small box-end wrench, the bolt heads face the firewall.

Also, you'll have to disconnect the coolant bypass hoses underneath, up near the front of the intake.

I think you may be able to do it, then.

Another idea: use a dremel to grind down the bolt you're having problems with and then drill it and use an easy out. The dremel should take off the flared part of the bolt keeping the 2 pieces from coming apart.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:44 AM

1 more thing...

OH, yeah. The injector harness plugs may be a bitch to disconnect with the intake intact. You may still be able to remove it and have a few inches of wiggle, and disconnect the injector plugs after it's off. Maybe...
Old 03-05-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond
OH, yeah. The injector harness plugs may be a bitch to disconnect with the intake intact. You may still be able to remove it and have a few inches of wiggle, and disconnect the injector plugs after it's off. Maybe...
thanks alot man that is helpful

also, how many bolts are on the bottom side of intake mani? i think those will be a real bitch to get at.

thanks again for all your help
Old 03-05-2004, 01:16 PM

The best way to keep track of your bolts is to look at your new intake manifold gasket. There are a few holes in the gasket that aren't necessarily used. To answer your question better, I think there are 3 bolts underneath. They aren't too bad to get to. Just need different length wrenches and some long 6-12" ratchet extensions.