Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

200k, maybe it's time for some Service!

Old 12-14-2004, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
200k, maybe it's time for some Service!

The old '97 just turned 200k and its time to do some service. I'm pretty much the "if it's not broke, leave it alone type," but the 4Runner is really asking for a tune up. I bought it at CARMAX with 58k on the clock, so I have no idea what its early service history was. I have done the following: 100k - new Bilsteins all round, a K&N air filter, rotors and pads myself. 150k - replaced the contactors on the starter ($13.00 part) myself. 170k - had the stealership do that rear suspension recall and the timing belt while it was in there. Of course they told me that the water pump was shot and leaking all over the place and they'd be glad to replace it for $400.00. NOT, I told them to put it back and haven't had any problems. 180k - replaced the original battery and did the front pads and rotors again myself. That's it except for oil changes and tires. I've never even pulled a plug. The truck still looks great and I expect it to last another 100k. I've way pushed the limits on maintenance though and the 3.4L is starting to get a little pinging when pushed hard. I'm starting to gather parts for a major tune up. I'm thinking new plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, drive belts, change coolant and clean the throttle body. What else should be done in the way of general service at this point? The transmission dipstick looks clean. Any reason to do all the fluids - trans, transfer case, axles? Any other replaceable parts that are bound to give at some point? I'm not looking for work, but since it’s so rare that I have to do any wrenching on this vehicle, I'd rather do it all at once!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wwilme
The old '97 just turned 200k and its time to do some service. I'm pretty much the "if it's not broke, leave it alone type," but the 4Runner is really asking for a tune up. I bought it at CARMAX with 58k on the clock, so I have no idea what its early service history was. I have done the following: 100k - new Bilsteins all round, a K&N air filter, rotors and pads myself. 150k - replaced the contactors on the starter ($13.00 part) myself. 170k - had the stealership do that rear suspension recall and the timing belt while it was in there. Of course they told me that the water pump was shot and leaking all over the place and they'd be glad to replace it for $400.00. NOT, I told them to put it back and haven't had any problems. 180k - replaced the original battery and did the front pads and rotors again myself. That's it except for oil changes and tires. I've never even pulled a plug. The truck still looks great and I expect it to last another 100k. I've way pushed the limits on maintenance though and the 3.4L is starting to get a little pinging when pushed hard. I'm starting to gather parts for a major tune up. I'm thinking new plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, drive belts, change coolant and clean the throttle body. What else should be done in the way of general service at this point? The transmission dipstick looks clean. Any reason to do all the fluids - trans, transfer case, axles? Any other replaceable parts that are bound to give at some point? I'm not looking for work, but since it’s so rare that I have to do any wrenching on this vehicle, I'd rather do it all at once!
1. Seafoam the intake and injectors - search for how. $15 - 3 cans at $5 ea

After seafoam, then...

2. Change oil, Front/Rear Differential Fluid (75W80 Gear Lube), XF case fluid (ATF if it's an auto), and flush the transmission - again, search on how to do them yourself. $100 total for very good synthetic down to $40 for the cheap stuff

3. Change the fuel filter - search. $30 from the dealer.

4. Change the PCV - easy. $4 from the dealer.

5. Change the spark plugs and possibly the plug wires (Denso plugs and OEM wires from the dealer) $9 for plugs and $54 for wires.

6. Grease all zirks that you can find. $3 for grease

7. Drain and refill radiator with Toyota Red Coolant. $20

8. Replace the FRONT O2 sensor, Denso part from URDUSA.com. $90

9. Clean the MAF with acetone, followed by spray electrical contact cleaner. $6

10. Change Air Filter. $30 for an Amsoil that you'll never replace

11. Replace all belts. $25

12. Inspect all coolant and vacuum hoses and replace any that look old or cracked. maybe $20

13. Flush brake fluid. (prevents rust buildup from water contamination due to humidity). $5

14. Dat's about it, so then you knock back a few cold ones and admire the work you just did to make your Toyota last another 200k trouble-free miles. $6 for a 6-pack.

Total is $417 if you don't skimp at all. Maybe $350 if you go the cheap route. If your truck's been good to you, then be good to it and give it the "good stuff"...

Last edited by bamachem; 12-14-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:01 AM

Spark plugs...I just replaced the head gasket on a truck I recently purchased and upon taking the spark plugs out it was apperant that no one had ever changed them as 1) the gap was about a quarter to a half inch (seriously) and 2) one of them was seized into the aluminum head.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Koz

Speaking of spark plugs, I changed my plugs on my 98 3.4 PreRunner at 50K miles. When I pulled the first plug I couldn't help but notice that it was in NEW condition. So I take out the other two on the left bank and when I took out the first one on the right bank I noticed the plug was worn noticeably more then the other three. At this point I start to get that ˟˟˟˟ty feeling of something being wrong. After taking out the last two plugs I noticed the right bank of plugs are all showing ware and the left bank is looking new. So I'm thinking why, maybe there is an ignition problem! Then noticed the plugs were different, yes 3 NGKs and 3 Denso. Apparently this was done at the factory. The NGKs were like new and the Denso's were worn. Moral of the story; NOT ALL PLUGS ARE CREATED EQUAL!

Koz
Old 12-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Banned

Funny, but for some reason Toyota did that... Maybe a test to see which ones lasted longer.... who knows.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Koz
Speaking of spark plugs, I changed my plugs on my 98 3.4 PreRunner at 50K miles. When I pulled the first plug I couldn't help but notice that it was in NEW condition. So I take out the other two on the left bank and when I took out the first one on the right bank I noticed the plug was worn noticeably more then the other three. At this point I start to get that ˟˟˟˟ty feeling of something being wrong. After taking out the last two plugs I noticed the right bank of plugs are all showing ware and the left bank is looking new. So I'm thinking why, maybe there is an ignition problem! Then noticed the plugs were different, yes 3 NGKs and 3 Denso. Apparently this was done at the factory. The NGKs were like new and the Denso's were worn. Moral of the story; NOT ALL PLUGS ARE CREATED EQUAL!

Koz
hmmm......interesting tidbit koz.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

200k on a 97... Someone loves there toyota's
Old 12-16-2004, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun
200k on a 97... Someone loves there toyota's

Sure do. My '89 longbed pickup (v6, auto, 4x4) had 268k when I totaled it. I bought it at 175k and the only repair I did was the radiator. The original owner, a freind, had only done minor maintence and somehow it escaped the head gasket problem. I sold it to a co-worker for a grand, he did alot of body work, and apparently its still on the road. I replaced the truck with a '94 4Runner with 80k. I had put another 40k trouble-free miles on that when I got the headgaskeet recall notice. Checking the dipstick, I found white foam. The stealership told me it would be a few weeks before they could get to it and reading up in the forums, I found a lot of bad recall expereince. Apparently CARMAX didn't check the dipstick, because they gave me $7,500 trade in towards the current 4Runner!
Old 12-16-2004, 06:23 AM

thanks for all the advice!
Old 12-16-2004, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
7. Drain and refill radiator with Toyota Red Coolant. $20
My truck has the green (has had it since I bought it 98k miles now 120k) but is one preferable to the other or are they pretty much the same?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Banned

Red is preferred. Supposedly, it has an oxidating coagulant that will "scab" over if you spring a small leak. It's also supposed to have better heat transfer properties and better lubricating properties than the regular green stuff.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:07 PM

tag for info