95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2005 Tacoma Motor Trend Truck of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Tacoma Motor Trend Truck of the Year

12/15/2004 Los Angeles, CA

MOTOR TREND magazine, the world's number one automotive authority and part of the PRIMEDIA Consumer Automotive Group, today announced the selection of the Toyota Tacoma as the 2005 MOTOR TREND Truck of the Year. Each year, MOTOR TREND evaluates all new eligible pickup trucks and awards the coveted Golden Calipers to the one that most clearly raises the bar in the category, specifically in terms of significance, superiority and value.

"The new Tacoma is a good example of Toyota listening to its customers and delivering the best materials, fit and finish for its price class," said Angus MacKenzie, editor in chief of MOTOR TREND. "Buyers get Toyota's legendary durability and quality in a beautifully built little truck. Proving there is no penalty for buying a reasonably priced, more fuel-efficient truck, especially significant in this time of rising fuel prices, the 2005 Toyota Tacoma is truly deserving of the title of MOTOR TREND Truck of the Year."

Toyota has made the 2005 Tacoma's interior and exterior more engaging, while preserving the affordability that consumers have come to rely on. The new base 2.7-liter VVT-i four-cylinder engine produces 164 horsepower and 183 pound-feet of torque, while the optional 4.0-liter V6 offers 245 horsepower and 282 pound-feet of torque. Buyers can choose from three cabin configurations, two bed lengths and two or four wheel drive to configure a Tacoma to suit their lifestyle or work needs.

"Toyota came out swinging from the get-go with a huge a roster of truck variants," added MacKenzie. "With 18 different configurations, the Tacoma is the broadband of the segment and full of surprise and delight features." This year, the editorial staff of MOTOR TREND conducted testing on five new vehicles, searching for the pickup truck that best represented exceptional value, superiority in its class, and the most significant development on the new-truck scene for 2005. All truly new or substantially revised trucks were considered with the condition that they be available for public sale by January 1, 2005.

For the 2005 MOTOR TREND Truck of the Year competition, the winner was selected from the following eligible models: Dodge Dakota, Ford F-250/F-350 Super Duty, Hummer H2 SUT, Nissan Frontier, and the Toyota Tacoma.

The MOTOR TREND Evaluation Process

MOTOR TREND editors spent several weeks with the contending vehicles, exploring their performance, features, and functionality. Thorough testing was done on each vehicle with a specific focus on the following: engineering and technology, performance, ride and handling, styling and design, interior fit, finish and materials, utility, and value. Special attention was paid to the "pickup" aspects of loading and securing cargo, performance with a payload, and towing. Once the testing and evaluations were completed, MOTOR TREND editors chose the Toyota Tacoma to receive the coveted Golden Calipers.

MOTOR TREND evaluates the eligible vehicles based on three key categories: Significance, Superiority, and Value. Significance refers to the vehicle's impact on the market and innovation in engineering, technology, design, safety and packaging. Superiority balances the playing field and looks for class-leading levels of performance, style and functionality within its specific competitive set. Finally, the all-important Value question asks, "What does this vehicle deliver in relation to what the consumer has to pay to purchase and own it?"

The complete report on the 2005 MOTOR TREND Truck of the Year testing and selection will be published in the February 2005 issue of MOTOR TREND (on newsstands January 4, 2005) and high-resolution images of the winner are available upon request and at www.MotorTrend.com/media. Multimedia coverage of the testing and selection process will be broadcast on MOTOR TREND Radio, hosted by Bob Long.

About MOTOR TREND
MOTOR TREND, a PRIMEDIA publication, was founded in 1949 and has a circulation of 1.1 million and a total readership of 7.1 million. Internationally recognized as the world's number one automotive authority, MOTOR TREND is one of the leading brands in automotive publishing. The MOTOR TREND brand is comprised of motortrend.com; MOTOR TREND Television; MOTOR TREND Radio; Truck Trend; MOTOR TREND International Auto Shows; MOTOR TREND en Espaņol; and the renowned MOTOR TREND Car, Sport/Utility and Truck of the Year Awards program.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:34 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome!!
Old 12-15-2004, 06:41 AM

I plan on looking at getting one in the next 6-9mths after we get another house... I love the looks and I can't wait to try that V6...
Old 12-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet!

I had no doubt in my mind that Toyota would get it.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Yay for Toyota!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Those new Tacoma's are really sweet, would love one with the NE kit and 35's!
Old 12-15-2004, 03:27 PM

"toyota is listening to it's customers"... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'll likely join the band for this... but the new taco, outside of the engine and tranny, sucks... Who ever designed the exhaust routing on that thing had in mind nothing rougher than a small speed bump. The frame was designed by Dana corp, and you can tell that Toyota is becoming more and more "domestic", even by looking at the abundance of "C" channel frame material and tension mounted rear shackles.

I like the appeareance, I like the engine (though for the size, they should be offering the I-force), I don't like the size and I don't like the frame, box or material choices.

Toyota quality and off-road capabilities, outside of the rear locker, has declined significantly since the Gen3 trucks and Gen2 4runners. Yes, the 3.4 was leaps and bounds ahead of the 3.0, and he 4.0 promises to be a similar leap... The locker is great. But the quality of the trucks has gone down hill...

I own an 04 D-cab, btw... LOL!
Old 12-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HOJU
Those new Tacoma's are really sweet, would love one with the NE kit and 35's!
Though I doubt you'd get ANY flex with that much spacer lift..........
Old 12-15-2004, 03:51 PM

Here's a 3" Revtek lifted Taco. I think someone posted this pic before SEMA...

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/revtek.htm

BT,
good post!
Old 12-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rockota
"toyota is listening to it's customers"... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'll likely join the band for this... but the new taco, outside of the engine and tranny, sucks... Who ever designed the exhaust routing on that thing had in mind nothing rougher than a small speed bump. The frame was designed by Dana corp, and you can tell that Toyota is becoming more and more "domestic", even by looking at the abundance of "C" channel frame material and tension mounted rear shackles.

I like the appeareance, I like the engine (though for the size, they should be offering the I-force), I don't like the size and I don't like the frame, box or material choices.

Toyota quality and off-road capabilities, outside of the rear locker, has declined significantly since the Gen3 trucks and Gen2 4runners. Yes, the 3.4 was leaps and bounds ahead of the 3.0, and he 4.0 promises to be a similar leap... The locker is great. But the quality of the trucks has gone down hill...

I own an 04 D-cab, btw... LOL!
Show us your proof of the decline of the 4Runner and Tacoma quality and off-road capability. I believe alot of people would disagree with you.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:07 PM

Well, I agree with what was written above me. I heard of the partial C frame thing, that was gay. The engine and tranny kick ass. I dont mind the size much with that engine. Nice that they kept the prerunner and locker. The ground clearance is relatively good, but doesn't appear to be as good as the priors.

But as downhill as you say Toyota is going, just compare it to the cometition! Next from a Taco I'd get a ranger. The colorado isn't up to GM's hype, the dakota is a joke (4.7 V8@225 hp!!!), the Fronteirs are ok...but nah. You goota say Toyota is doing a damn better job satisfying us off-roaders than the others. About the only 2 things I'd change about the 05 are the exhast (which youmaybe able to solve by yourself) and the C-frame part.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Wife (capital letters) and I looked at, drove and negotiated with two different dealers on a 2005 Extended Cab Taco before walking out of both dealers. Then the '99 4Runner fell into our lap. I'm much happier with the 4Runner. I'll be even happier when I hit the 200K mark with it.

The dealers wouldn't negotiate on the price and $27K for a small pickup is helluvalot for an EC small 4wd pickup. Curious fact is, you can get a crew cab Taco for nearly the same price as a EC Taco.

Somebody buy one, keep it 5 years, only put 60K miles on it, then sell it to me for less than half price. Then I'll consider it a good bargain.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gapguy
Though I doubt you'd get ANY flex with that much spacer lift..........
true... even with 33's it would be sweet
Old 12-15-2004, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Show us your proof of the decline of the 4Runner and Tacoma quality and off-road capability. I believe alot of people would disagree with you.
Actually not all that hard, really.

Frames: Were full boxed until the 1st Gen Taco. Many, many taco owners have dented the back of the cab with the box because of frame flex. Easy to document and see - just check tacomaterritory or your nearest 4Wheel and Off-Road for the Ultimate Taco build up. Even the front of the frame is weaker due to the crumple zones - AllPro and FRORF make frame plates for this reason.

tcases: When's the last time you've seen a gear driven t-case in a Toyota? That also ended with the taco. Granted, Marlin has shown that the new tcases hold up very, very well.

steering: 1st Gen taco's had the steering located way to low - and rack and pinion? Many taco owners have complained of R&P boots being destroyed with even as little as 2" of lift.

Front drive: No locking hubs available anymore. The new front diff IS better, but that doesn't make up for lack of hubs. And that whole UNIT-bearing thing that's so popular these days is also a bad thing for large tires.

Rear Axles: Other than the available locker - how many 3rd Gen 4Runners have blown axle seals multiple times? And I've heard of taco axles actually crumple (there's one on MArlin's board right now) from axle wrap.

Interior: The 1st Gen taco brought the end of the Volt and Oil pressure gauges. It also brought the end of GOOD front seats - the adjustable seats are no longer available in the SR5 model - now only the Limited.

Gen-2 taco: HAve you seen the exhaust routing? Behind the tcase crossmember and at the same level as the crossmember - I'd say the cross-over is the lowest point on the taco and the first thing to get crushed.

Do you realize that these "issues" are only issues here in the good ol' USA? That solid front axles were available into the 90's everywhere else? That the "new" HIlux's in other countries still use the torsion bar style front suspension? And still use a true steering box? The countries that still "use" the trucks as trucks still have fully boxed frames?!

I could go on, but I think the point is sound. Toyota Tacomas are going the way of the commuter car. They are no longer a step above the competition in build quality or materials.

What HAS improved:
Engines and tranny's as I've already stated.
Rear locker
Seemingly more resistent to rust.

But overall, as nice as they are... They are not the quality "truck" that Toyota once produced.

I've owned
5 - Taco's/3rd gen 4Runners
3 - 89-95 trucks/4Runners
10+ - 85-88 truicks/4Runners
1 - Gen 1 truck
I've done the comparison work..

Last edited by rockota; 12-15-2004 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:56 PM

Toyotas would not seem to be a quality vehicle in your case. 19+ Toyota vehicles. What happened to all these toys.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:48 PM

When you push a tacoma as hard as I have and a few others you will find they are not as solid of a truck as the pre trucks especially in the weaker IFS front ends vs an 87 to 95 truck. I still like em though, just want have another for serious off roading
Old 12-16-2004, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by TACOMANATOR
Toyotas would not seem to be a quality vehicle in your case. 19+ Toyota vehicles. What happened to all these toys.

I like Toyotas...