Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2005 supra?

Old 02-02-2004, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 supra?

2005 Toyota Supra

With many major magazine such as Road & Track, and Automobile covering this article. They expected to see the Supra debut at the 2003 Tokyo Auto Salon. But when many were expecting to see if Toyota was going to showcase the 2005 Supra. But the Toyota corportation kept quiet.

With other sources to rely on, here are some of the rumors about the Supra. Will go on sale in 2004
Its purpose is to compete against the Nissan 350Z Roadster.
Price range will be between $20,000-30,000
Two Engine Package: 4.5 V8, 3.5 V6, ( unconfirmed 2.5 V6 ) - Non Turbo

saw this on some random web page. Sounds a bit credible, but who knows... No seriously, anybody know anything about this?
Old 02-02-2004, 04:43 PM

That would be cool if they did.
I think it would be the 4.0 V6 since that is the one going into the GS

$20-$30K sounds kinds low doesn't it? What is the Z?
Old 02-02-2004, 05:28 PM

From what I know, the Z starts at around $27k...loaded it runs 30 couple. I would expect that to be the bare minimum for the supra. Not to discredit the Z, but I feel toyota will out do it. Just my .02

Billy
Old 02-02-2004, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I run in circles of folks who live and breath the sports cars, and word is that there's NO current plan to revive the Supra, despite rumors. It's a damn shame, but so would it be if they went N/A, which they would if it ever did show up again.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got this off freshalloy.com, here is the actual thread if anyone wants to read it, nothin majorly important Supra no go

Maybe we will see a Lexus Supra but priced much higher then a Toyota would be, but things can change

Starts here :

this was taken from the Carspyshots forum...and was taken from Wards auto.

TOYOTA WON’T BRING BACK SUPRA

Bucking a trend that has seen Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. revive its legendary Z car and Mazda Motor Corp. wow the market with an incarnation of its rotary-powered RX, Toyota Motor Corp. says it has no plans to resuscitate its Supra heritage.

The reason, says James E. Press, executive vice president and chief operating officer-Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc., is that the sports coupe segment is highly fickle – despite the success of the Nissan 350Z and buzz surrounding the recent release of the Mazda RX-8.

Press points instead to the Camry Solara, MR2 Spyder roadster and Celica, along with sport-tuned versions of some Toyota trucks, as filling the performance void. Also coming is the Corolla RS, a new trim level of Toyota’s popular compact sedan powered by the GTS Celica’s engine.

The Matrix, another Corolla derivative, was supposed to attract a younger demographic, bringing them to the Toyota brand and bridging the gap between the parent company and its newly created youth division, Scion.

However, insiders say Matrix has not been able to fill that role.

Instead of reviving the Supra, Press tells Ward's a vehicle such as the FJ Cruiser concept, shown a year ago at the North American International Auto Show, would be more appropriate.

The auto maker hasn’t formally announced it will build a production version of the FJ Cruiser, but officials have all but confirmed that it’s in Toyota’s production plans.

“I don’t think we’ve finalized the timing,” Press says. “But I can tell you this: If and when we build it, you won’t be able to tell the difference between the model in Detroit and the production vehicle. If it doesn’t look like it, we won’t build it.”

Press is vague on details but says the FJ, a small SUV resembling the original FJ Land Cruiser derivatives that were sold from 1960 to the mid-1980s, would be on a body-on-frame, truck-based platform and built in Japan.

Early speculation had seen the small SUV built at New United Motor Mfg. Inc. in Fremont, CA, on the Toyota Tacoma platform. Capacity at NUMMI is slated to free up in 2006, when Toyota shifts some Tacoma production to a facility currently under construction in Baja California, Mexico, just outside Tijuana.