Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2005 Frontier V6 vs 2005 Tacoma V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Frontier V6 vs 2005 Tacoma V6

Looks like Nissan has one-upped Toyota in the power and torque output for 4.0L V6 motors. The Nissan will have 265hp vs Toyota's 240hp, and Nissan will have 284 ft-lb vs Toyota's 275 ft-lb. Not sure how much of a difference this will make in the real world, as Toyota trucks are generally lighter than Nissan trucks, and they may both end up with similar hp/lb and tq/lb ratios.

See; http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/new...12032201.shtml
Old 08-13-2004, 08:49 PM

Toyota doesn't usually follow the numbers game as much as others.
Look at the hard facts:
Resale
build quality
reliability
value

for me, the Toyota trucks are so much better in design too.
Look at 5-10 yr old Tacos and 5-10yr old Frontiers; which would you rather have?
Old 08-13-2004, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
Toyota doesn't usually follow the numbers game as much as others.
Look at the hard facts:
Resale
build quality
reliability
value

for me, the Toyota trucks are so much better in design too.
Look at 5-10 yr old Tacos and 5-10yr old Frontiers; which would you rather have?

Definitely true. Before I found my runner I was in between getting a 2001 frontier or a 1997 taco. Funny that they were both very similar in price.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you really wanna buy a Frontier that was probably jammed together with peaces that don't even fit properly.

Interesting Nissan salesman story, my sales guy tells me the current Pathfinder is a last of it's kind and we will not see another well made Nissan like this cause it is the last of the Japanese made, then he goes on to tell me the new Pathfinder is just not gonna be worth it and blah blah blah then he tries to sell me an Armada which is the best and is completly problem free, apparently he reads nothin and does not realize the Armada is made in the quality issue plant in Canton Mississippi

This is also the same guy who told me before the Armada came out that if I wanted a true Full SIze get a Tahoe or a Suburban, now he says their crap compared to the Nissan
Old 08-14-2004, 08:22 PM

After beating what I believe was a V6 Nissan Pickup of most likely the same year as mine in a several block street drag late the other night... I laugh. I'm lifted and he wasn't I should have had the disadvantage.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:36 PM

Toyota has never participated in the horsepower wars. And yet, they are now the #2 auto manufacturer in the World. Quality.

I've owned Nissan products. My friends have owned Nissan products. They are not bad cars, but they are not great cars.

I know TONS of people with 200,000 and 300,000 miles on their Toyota's. How many other car manufacturers can you say this about?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

And everyone is forgetting horsepower on paper doesnt say everything. The Dodge trucks are up there and but they are slow due to drivetrain power loss. Also, when the tundra came out is was underpowered compared to the f150 and chevy1500, BUT before they both upped the HP's substantially the underpowered tundra was faster. I had a s-10 with the 190hp vortec when I was younger and to me the 3.4 in my taco just feels stronger, I'd put a underpowered toyota car/truck up against many with more power and Im sure the yota's would fair fine. Hell, i also owned a v6 ranger auto (99), and my buds reg cab 4banger 2wd 5spd taco would stomp me. Numbers arent everything.

Funny thing about the Titan is that they have had a lot of returns according to a local salesman due to some problems. A friend of mine has a tundra and went to a dealer where he bought it cuz he was looking at a used titan they had, salesman(who was his frat brother in college) told him to stay away from the nissan and get another tundra if he really had to trade it. The local dodge dealer had FOUR titans in the lot for sale yesterday when i drove by, seemed a little high since the truck just came out
Old 08-15-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ElwayLite
And everyone is forgetting horsepower on paper doesnt say everything. The Dodge trucks are up there and but they are slow due to drivetrain power loss. Also, when the tundra came out is was underpowered compared to the f150 and chevy1500, BUT before they both upped the HP's substantially the underpowered tundra was faster. I had a s-10 with the 190hp vortec when I was younger and to me the 3.4 in my taco just feels stronger, I'd put a underpowered toyota car/truck up against many with more power and Im sure the yota's would fair fine. Hell, i also owned a v6 ranger auto (99), and my buds reg cab 4banger 2wd 5spd taco would stomp me. Numbers arent everything.

Funny thing about the Titan is that they have had a lot of returns according to a local salesman due to some problems. A friend of mine has a tundra and went to a dealer where he bought it cuz he was looking at a used titan they had, salesman(who was his frat brother in college) told him to stay away from the nissan and get another tundra if he really had to trade it. The local dodge dealer had FOUR titans in the lot for sale yesterday when i drove by, seemed a little high since the truck just came out

I agree that Ford and Chevy tend to overate their engines, but numbers for Dodge trucks are solid. The 5.9L was rated at 245 h.p. and would many times make 190-210 h.p. on the dyno. Given a 20% standard drivetrain lose for most autos, this would make the crank horsepower about right or even underated. The 345 ft lb of torque rating was definitly underated as many 5.9L's made 300 rw ft lb's.

The new Hemi is also rated correctly, as many of them make 270+ rwhp and 300+ rw ft lb's.

The New Hemi is far from slow. They are running high 14's in Reg. Cab 2wd and low 15's in Reg Cab 4x4's. They are currently the fastest N/A Fullsize truck out and will eat the doors off a 230 h.p. Tundra.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Whatever man, you look at road tests with the higher powered dodges and they are slower, plain and simple. The cummins has more power than a powerstroke, but the powerstroke shames it in acceleration and towing. It has been stated more than once in many magazines that dodge's suffer from abnormal power loss thru the drivetrain(remember the 5.9l dakota r/t, with all that power shoulda been faster). I personally think dodge sucks, but the post wasnt aimed at them, i was just stating that yota's with the same power or even less seemed to be faster than other vehicles. Yeah, and how about that ram srt while we are on the subject it costs 11K more than a lightning but has a 0-60 that isnt much better, i'd buy the lightning(which is a better truck because it isn't a dodge) and spend a little dough, youve got a better looking truck thats faster and was cheaper.

Dodge SRT-10 Lightning
$45,000 $33,900
13.3 @ 106.9 13.6 @ 102.0
4.9 0-60 5.1 0-60

now for the funny part

500hp 380hp
525ftlb's 450ftlb's
same ol story of an overly expensive dodge that doesnt perform where it should. Dodge is like chevy, they try and sell everything on hp, but ford who is always behind like toyota has the number 1 truck, funny huh. And comparing the hemi to the iforce v8 is apples to oranges. The iforce is outdated and due for replacement or upgrade, we'll see how the new v8 from toyota performs.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:27 PM

Whatever man, you look at road tests with the higher powered dodges and they are slower, plain and simple. The cummins has more power than a powerstroke, but the powerstroke shames it in acceleration and towing. It has been stated more than once in many magazines that dodge's suffer from abnormal power loss thru the drivetrain(remember the 5.9l dakota r/t, with all that power shoulda been faster). I personally think dodge sucks, but the post wasnt aimed at them, i was just stating that yota's with the same power or even less seemed to be faster than other vehicles. Yeah, and how about that ram srt while we are on the subject it costs 11K more than a lightning but has a 0-60 that isnt much better, i'd buy the lightning(which is a better truck because it isn't a dodge) and spend a little dough, youve got a better looking truck thats faster and was cheaper.

Dodge SRT-10 Lightning
$45,000 $33,900
13.3 @ 106.9 13.6 @ 102.0
4.9 0-60 5.1 0-60

now for the funny part

500hp 380hp
525ftlb's 450ftlb's
same ol story of an overly expensive dodge that doesnt perform where it should. Dodge is like chevy, they try and sell everything on hp, but ford who is always behind like toyota has the number 1 truck, funny huh. And comparing the hemi to the iforce v8 is apples to oranges. The iforce is outdated and due for replacement or upgrade, we'll see how the new v8 from toyota performs.

I personally owned a Dakota R/T. 15.0@90 mph bone stock. It weighed 3800 lb's. Not to bad IMO. I've seen a 100 dynos of the 5.9L w/ 46RE tranny. The loss is between 20-22%, which is not abnormal. Change the convertor and put in a h.p. Valve body and things get better.

As for the SRT-10, yes they are expensive and yes the Lightning can outrun them if they put out some dough. However... Look at the platform you have with the SRT-10. The 8.3L V-10 can handle a 200 h.p. dose of N20 VERY easily. Were talking easy 11's out of the SRT-10 for an extra $500. Can the Lightning match that?

But I know what your saying on that because use R/T used to throw that fact up to the Lightning owners all the time. (R/T- $23,000 Lightning- $33000)

You didn't comment on the Hemi though... Moving a 4800lb Ram though the 1/4 mile at 14.8 Bone stock is IMPRESSIVE. The new 270 h.p. Tundra will not be able to do that. Even QC Rams (5000+ lb's) are running low 15's.

But you have your View and I have mine. This is a Toyota Forum and I don't want to upset anyone by getting off topic.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:14 PM

To each their own and your entitled to your opinion but for the Titan, it may not be selling well in your area but 1 of the hardest markets to break is the FullSize Pickups especially in the country outside of the 2 key markets it should do well in the east being the NY area and the West being Califonia, which is obvious cause those are the largest import markets but also the most important.

More Titans seem to be showing up here, your area may/is different but I would rather a Tundra for obvious quality reason although the reviews on the Titan engine have been good, but then again Im not into US built imports but I'll get it if I like it enough, now onto Dodge I've seen more then afew SRT10 rolling around, it's like suddenly everyone got a pay raise, guess they are just something different but their seems to be lots of Ram powered Hemis around to.

Last thing is my 2000 Pathfinder with the 3.3L 170 hp V6 was underpowered compared to others numbers wise, sure it could have used more power with a full load getting onto the highway but it had way more power then V6 Explorers I don't know whats going on with those things but for a 210hp V6 I think 90 HP actually got to the wheels.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by calamaridog
Toyota has never participated in the horsepower wars. And yet, they are now the #2 auto manufacturer in the World. Quality.

I've owned Nissan products. My friends have owned Nissan products. They are not bad cars, but they are not great cars.

I know TONS of people with 200,000 and 300,000 miles on their Toyota's. How many other car manufacturers can you say this about?
Myself and friends included have owned Nissans and they where excellent problem free vehicles, nothin but an oil change for 100k you can't ask for more and they are built with powertrains equal to that of Toyota, I never judge a vehicle if it is used cause I have come across tons of people who will never buy a Toyota or a Honda or a Nissan cause it was problem proned but yeah it had no previous maintenance and was neglected what did you expect.

Toyota may be great but I know several people who had Lemon Camrys and Avalons, they make great cars but when your pushing several 100,000 cars off a line your gonna have afew that are not so great, but still you end up with unhappy customers who bad mouth a product, of course those num nuts said Toyota sucked and where going back to Lexus

As for high mileage cars other than Toyota, my brother is in Georgia for school and he says what we consider POS in NY is in excellent condition their, 1 example would be Wranglers, NY they are POS but he says many people have them with 150k on them, same goes for others with Chevys and Fords with over 200k, just cause you don't see a high mileage vehicle 1st hand does not mean their not out their, I've seen V8 Explorers that looked like they where new with 150k going strong, you have to open your eyes and go out to areas where people can't afford to buy new vehicles every few years, I realized that a few years ago and also realized Im blessed to be where Im at and to afford new cars, when I get rid of my 4th Gen with 60-80k on it someone will buy it and put another 100 on it and then think about the guy who buys it with 200k on it and how long he drives it for, their are many 4Runner owners in hear who bought Toyotas with 150k plus
Old 08-15-2004, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by EDGE
Myself and friends included have owned Nissans and they where excellent problem free vehicles, nothin but an oil change for 100k you can't ask for more and they are built with powertrains equal to that of Toyota, I never judge a vehicle if it is used cause I have come across tons of people who will never buy a Toyota or a Honda or a Nissan cause it was problem proned but yeah it had no previous maintenance and was neglected what did you expect.

Toyota may be great but I know several people who had Lemon Camrys and Avalons, they make great cars but when your pushing several 100,000 cars off a line your gonna have afew that are not so great, but still you end up with unhappy customers who bad mouth a product, of course those num nuts said Toyota sucked and where going back to Lexus

As for high mileage cars other than Toyota, my brother is in Georgia for school and he says what we consider POS in NY is in excellent condition their, 1 example would be Wranglers, NY they are POS but he says many people have them with 150k on them, same goes for others with Chevys and Fords with over 200k, just cause you don't see a high mileage vehicle 1st hand does not mean their not out their, I've seen V8 Explorers that looked like they where new with 150k going strong, you have to open your eyes and go out to areas where people can't afford to buy new vehicles every few years, I realized that a few years ago and also realized Im blessed to be where Im at and to afford new cars, when I get rid of my 4th Gen with 60-80k on it someone will buy it and put another 100 on it and then think about the guy who buys it with 200k on it and how long he drives it for, their are many 4Runner owners in hear who bought Toyotas with 150k plus
V8 Explorers/Mountaineers are very reiable vehicles. The V6 models on the other hand are crap in my opinion.

I have had no experience with Nissan, but I hear they have a decent product, just like Subaru.

I see it this way, if car companies were that bad, they would not be in business... But yes, you are right.. There are many high mileage vehicles out there that look new. Just depends on how you service them and drive them.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:34 PM

V8 Explorers and Mountaineers are of much better quality but I think they lowered the quality after 99, 2000 according to the Explorer boards the 5.0 V8 AWD was a hardcore powertrain but they then switched to the 4.6L in the new Generation Explorers which are soft, they dent if you look at them and their quality is not what it should be, I unsure what V8 engine was put i around 99, 00

The V8 are better but still my friends who still have them they are falling apart, little things but they add up.

Not to get further off topic but I think Ford caught the GM rebadge bug cause the Ford Escape is becoming a Mercury Mariner, Ford said they where gonna bring some new Mercury vehciles out but I guess they meant rebadged Fords, guess we can expect the same for Lincoln
Old 08-15-2004, 11:53 PM

I saw the "Rumble Bee" in Vegas....I don't care how fast it is...it's butt ugly!
Old 08-15-2004, 11:55 PM

V8 Explorers and Mountaineers are of much better quality but I think they lowered the quality after 99, 2000 according to the Explorer boards the 5.0 V8 AWD was a hardcore powertrain but they then switched to the 4.6L in the new Generation Explorers which are soft, they dent if you look at them and their quality is not what it should be, I unsure what V8 engine was put i around 99, 00

The V8 are better but still my friends who still have them they are falling apart, little things but they add up.

Not to get further off topic but I think Ford caught the GM rebadge bug cause the Ford Escape is becoming a Mercury Mariner, Ford said they where gonna bring some new Mercury vehciles out but I guess they meant rebadged Fords, guess we can expect the same for Lincoln
It is the transmissions in the Fords that is the problem. My sister's 2000 F-150 with the 4.6 has been pretty flawless with now over 140,000 miles on it.

Her 2000 Exporer and my 2000 Off Road Ranger on the other hand were crap (transmissions).
Old 08-16-2004, 01:10 AM
Contributing Member

their are many 4Runner owners in hear who bought Toyotas with 150k plus
i bought my 4 runner with 230k on it
Old 08-16-2004, 03:52 AM
Contributing Member

Greetings,
Age old arguement, Chevy or Ford, Ford Or Mopar....Nissan or Toyota, you can always find someone to talk bad or good about one or the other. Its ones own preference.
I do agree with Toyota Trucks having HIGH resale value, It took me 18 Months to find the one I have now.
I only have one question: Is Numnuts one word or two? and if two would it not be Numb Nuts?

MvCrash
Old 08-16-2004, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rivalred
It is the transmissions in the Fords that is the problem. My sister's 2000 F-150 with the 4.6 has been pretty flawless with now over 140,000 miles on it.

Her 2000 Exporer and my 2000 Off Road Ranger on the other hand were crap (transmissions).
That is the reason I got rid of my 1994 Ranger XLT 4x4 with the 4.0L. The engine was strong and reliable, but the 5-speed tranny was starting to grind on 2nd gear and sometimes wouldn't go into 3rd. I traded it in for the 4Runner before the tranny got any worse.

I personally am a Toyota (cars and light trucks) and Ford (Mustang, F-series) guy. But when I look for a truck for my wife next year, i am going to give them all (Nissan, Chev, Ford, Dodge, etc) an equal chance to impress me more than a Tundra or Tacoma.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

this argument is stupid.....nissan vs toyota is the orginal question and the HP is 15 HP different....not really that much I'd pick the one you like. Before I bought my taco I was lookin at the frontiers but after doing much research it didnt seem like they held up as well as the Toyotas do. The redesigned Frontier looks alot better then the current ones. I also had a friend that had a 350z, it was a lemon and she got her money back, I havent heard any problems from anyone else though.

Who in the world races trucks anyway? I had a car with around 275 Hp to the wheels and it would run high 11's all day.

Quick Reply: 2005 Frontier V6 vs 2005 Tacoma V6