2004 tundra double cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 06:23 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 tundra double cab

what do you guys think??

i think it needs bigger wheels / tires, but its a great move for toyota.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:38 AM

I finally got to check one out and they are very impressive, tons of room and it's nicethat the bed has not been eaten up.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:02 AM
lee
Contributing Member

the way the cab curves in front of the bed makes me think of the ford explorer sporttrac
Old 01-29-2004, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

They look great, but...

1) Underpowered for a V8
2) Damn pricey (seen one for $37K)
3) 4.7L V8 seems to develop piston slap (dealer says it's normal).
Old 01-29-2004, 07:34 AM

I have personaly driven a limited double cab and love it. It is very roomy and the 4.7 feels very powerful. The only thing that I don't like about it is the very high price tag.

Maybe later down the road when the price drops some, I'll trade in my 4runner for one.......If I can wait that long,... the double cab ram with the hemi is looking mighty tempting to me .....
Old 01-29-2004, 07:41 AM
lee
Contributing Member

how about that ram with the viper engine??

ridiculous!
Old 01-29-2004, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by lee
how about that ram with the viper engine??

ridiculous!
and what about the gas milage it gets.....:cry:
Old 01-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ben95m
I have personaly driven a limited double cab and love it. It is very roomy and the 4.7 feels very powerful. If I can wait that long,... the double cab ram with the hemi is looking mighty tempting to me .....
It's powerful if you don't tow, but according to a couple of reports I read (I believe one is where it's being compared to the Titan and new F-150) they all say it's a bit underpowered

Oh and they do have the DC ram with the hemi, at least in California they do.

I love that black color...
Old 01-29-2004, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Mohamed
I love that black color...
I like silver myself, kinda like this one.....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...lor=&cardist=6

I even joined www.dodgetalk.com to read up on them...
Old 01-29-2004, 09:27 AM

I actually have been waiting for the DC Tundra to come out to replace my '91 Runner. What appealled to me were the 4 door roominess, the large bed, the sunroof (not available in the ext. cab), and the back window that lowers. ....all of that and Toyota quality and reliability. Now that they are out and I could buy one, I am starting to hear things like the brakes being under-sized and the engine issue that Mohamed mentioned.

Hey Mohamed, does your Tundra have that problem? Would you buy another Tundra? I keep my trucks for +10 years so I need to keep that in mind with whatever I buy.....I don't know if Dodge will last as long as a Toyota.

David
Old 01-29-2004, 09:36 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mohamed
It's powerful if you don't tow, but according to a couple of reports I read (I believe one is where it's being compared to the Titan and new F-150) they all say it's a bit underpowered
but isnt that the way toyotas are?? i mean, the 3rd gen runner is a perfect example. it has plenty of power, but isnt exactly a speed demon. these are workhorse, reliable trucks with strong and meaty engines. they arent intended to take on a viper engined ram, or a porsche cayenne.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove one last week and was impressed with the room...until my plumber showed up yesterday with a new Ford F-150 Lariat XLT (I think it was called). The Ford has raised the bar in every way and the new F-150 suddenly makes Tundra look and feel cheap and dated. And you guys know what a Toyota fanatic I am. Of course, the F-150 was two hours old, but the ride, handling, NVH, sound system, luxurious interior, comfy seats, and overall build quality was totally unexpected. I think we spent about the same amount of time driving each other's vehicles as he did replacing the broken pipe. Well done, Ford. Get it in gear, Toyota, and bring the new full-size rig to market sooner than '06.

Cool Ford multimedia demo website
Old 01-29-2004, 10:04 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i think the nissan titan is equally as impressive
Old 01-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Memphis4X4
Hey Mohamed, does your Tundra have that problem? Would you buy another Tundra? I keep my trucks for +10 years so I need to keep that in mind with whatever I buy.....I don't know if Dodge will last as long as a Toyota.

David
My Tundra did develop the cold piston slap after I read about it on here or the 4x4wire board, damn jinx myself. Some of the interior pieces I question how they where put in, for example i have this annoying dash creek in the passenger side area. Plus the driver's side power window is loose (i can literally lift the window a good inch, out of position). Never had a brake problem and probably won't as for one, I have the updated brakes already from the factory (according to an instructor who saw them; he also works at Toyota, but teaches at my school). Second, I tend to break them in properly (others just slam on the brakes during break-in period and make rotors or drums really out of round). I plan to get the dash & window stuff fixed when I get my Accord back from the body shop so at least I have something to drive around while the truck's in there. For the piston slap, everyone has complained, Toyota says it's normal, but just in case, I am planned to buy the Toyota extended platnium warranty for my truck towards the end of this year, so that if I really start loosing space in between the cylinders and block and get compression and oil burning problems, I have a fall back.

Otherwise, ya it's a great truck, I love mine and glad I got the one before the drive-by-wire models came out (pre-2003) as I heard a couple instances where the TPS went bad and the truck just died in the middle of the freeway (usually happens on wide-open situations). When I was shopping for one, I had a cow of a time trying to find one in town as people where buying the trucks scheduled for delievery as soon as they got a vin# from the factory. Seriously, I got lucky and found my green one and bought it on the day of delievery (still had all the plastic all over it). I got a call the next day from the salesmans asking me if I like my Tundra, but within the conversation, he mentioned a couple that had their eye set on the truck where mighty pissed that I bought it first...hey, all I can say is you can buy a car as soon as it gets a vin#, not when it arrives at the dealer.

So honestly, I would definitly recommend the truck as opposed to others out there (so as long as you have light or no towing duties). I get compliments all the time on the truck. One thing really great is that the truck is at optimal performance from the factory (really only the supercharger is the best bang for your buck mod). If you can wait a bit, Toyota has a rumored 5.4L V8 coming out in 2006.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:56 AM

I'm glad to hear that you are pleased with your current truck and that you recommend the Tundra. My Runner, eventhough it's approaching 200K, is running reliably and could probably get me through until the 2006's come out....but something expensive is bound to break during that period. I'm getting to the point that I will probably sell the Runner while it is in great shape and get a new truck. I've waited for the D-cab Tundra and like it but I hear good things about the Titan. I am just apprehensive about the Nissan quality. I remember the mid-90'2 Pathfinders and that scares me . But if there is piston slap in the Tundra and throttle issues.....that scares me too!!! It really boils down to which will be reliable and have better resale over time.

David
Old 01-29-2004, 12:44 PM
rjm

everything i have read, has said that the new nissan titan is one hell of a truck. one of the articles even said the new ford f150 seemed quite sluggish and slow, when compareed to the titan -even though there is only five horsepower differance.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by lee
i think the nissan titan is equally as impressive
I agree.

I checked out the Titan and the DC Tundra and they both had plenty of room for 5 people and very nice. I like the looks of the Tundra better, but you can't mess with the 5.6L V8 that Nissan has!

I read a popular mechanics and the 5.6L was faster then the Hemi!!

When I am out of school, the Titan is first on my list!!
Old 01-29-2004, 01:13 PM

SLC Punk: Do you think the Titan will hold up? I went and looked at them and the materials used in the interior and even the exterior look cheap and flimsy.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Memphis4X4
SLC Punk: Do you think the Titan will hold up? I went and looked at them and the materials used in the interior and even the exterior look cheap and flimsy.
Same here, I took a look at the new Titan and the Xterra and you can't compare the quality of toyota. The nissan interior's just looks cheap imo.

And I am not a big fan of the "mirror" front ends of the Titan/Armada....

Last edited by ben95m; 01-29-2004 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:50 PM

How can I say this?

TOYOTA to me, is more like a rugged, trail back vehicle. It's made to be moded and capable of handling the off-road terrain impressively well. It's just an aggresive stock off-road vehicle, point blank.

Like most have repeatedly said, it's not a power house, it's not intended to beat performance built vehicles, its not meant as a tow rig, it's just a vehicle that offers comfort, luxury, and an alternative to the 4RUNNER.

The DOUBLE CAB TUNDRA looks nice, might be roomy (judging from the reviews of some people here) but for I don't think it lives up to it's intended purpose to run vs. the competition.

Overwhelmingly so, I've heard countless number of times how underpowered the V8 is. Not to mention the front end part of the frame and its totally suprising weakness (compared to the competition).

Overall, if you want a truck that has truck like quality, from what I've read and gathered, this is not what you're looking for. I might be wrong however. You ought to look at the proven "work" trucks (look no further, the 6.0L DIESEL ).

Quick Reply: 2004 tundra double cab