Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2003 SR5 - anybody take out black tray in cargo compartment?

Old 06-18-2003, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SR5 - anybody take out black tray in cargo compartment?

2003 SR5

Anybody take out the black tray in the cargo compartment on the right hand side? How'd you do it?

I am wanting to put a sub there. I know its not the ideal location, but I dont want to put a box in the back.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Tank:

It's a PITA actually. I took the black tray out but with some work. There are bolts/screws etc etc located in every friggin location possible!

Remove two anchor points (located on bothsides near the seats).
You first have to take the carpet off (just the right side bottom). You'll find 2 screws (Philips). That will remove the bottom connection of the bottom panel. Then you have to remove 1 screw in the top pocket/tray area. Another one somewhere near that too (forget where). the actual tray is held down by only 2 10mm nuts (one on each side). The right side can be located by popping off the cap by the cargo net holder. The other is actually pretty hard and you have to play around with the entire panel to get to it. The one thing that was very difficult for me to remove (and I never got it off) was the cargo net stud. Just couldn't get it off (!@*(&#&*!@^).

After about 1 hr of hell, I got the tray out but then after that I realized that a 10" JL wasn't gonna fit.... o well

Good news is that anyone w/ the jbl system has an 8" sub in there so you might be able to just swap out the entire panel and get the 8" sub (ofcourse u'd have to get your own sub though).

Good Luck! I've just used that spot to hold my recovery gear so o well ! Maybe I'll see if I can get a sub in there one of these days! If you want, I'd say pick up a service manual as that'd be your best friend because it'll have pix of all the screw locations . ebay sells em for about 100 bucks for vol 1 and 2.

lance
Old 06-18-2003, 12:58 PM

Sounds like a lot of work...

I am trying to put a 10" sub in there as well, except that the raised portion (the part with the strap) of the "PITA" is interfering. By removing the tray, I think it would fit, plus it would add a bit of volume into the space. (I am guessing that it is about 0.5 ft3 with the "PITA" in there).

What was the top mount depth on your sub? I was figuring that using 1/4" lexan panel to cover the area, that a top mounted sub with a depth of under 5" should fit.

I may go with the 8" route instead. Does anybody know what the best sounding 8" sub would be?

I am considering a Cerwin-Vega HED-8SV, Image Dynamics IDQ8, and a Kicker Resolution RMB8.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

well I have an old 10" JL sub. and i mean it's old (cuz it has the 1993 date stamp on it! hehe).

Don't remember off hand what the depth on the sub was but I did look into making an enclosure and it wasn't looking good at all. Unfortunately I'm not an expert when it comes to making some custom stuff so I know someone will be able to fab something up!

if you come up w/ a good design on a 10" one that'd be dope as I'd love to free up the back!!!

Lance
Old 06-18-2003, 03:38 PM

hey i cant really comment on if there is any room back there to put a sub. But in my opinion I really dont think it will be worth your time. The only way to maximize space will to do fiberglass, and it takes alot of time. Its not hard just time. Also if your referring to 1/4 plexi as part of the box, that just wont work. 3/4 plexi is a standard for sub enclosures. Also your not going to get good performance out of any sub in that location. Just things to consider.

If your gonna do an 8 do the ID no comparison

Chris
Old 06-19-2003, 05:09 AM

got it

Got it. Didnt do it your way though - couldnt find the screws you were talking about.

I popped off the small storage tray above the wheel well which gave access to the bolt on the left side of the PITA. I then popped off the tail light access cover, which gave access to the bolt on the right hand side of the PITA. From there it was just a matter of working the PITA out of there. It ended up being easier than it sounded.

Anyhow, taking the PITA out gives a lot more room, but it still looks like a portion of the trim inside the compartment will have to be cut to make room for a 10. An 8 would fit no problem. With the tray gone, I would estimate there is about 1.5 cubic feet of room.

Impulse - I realize that it definitely is not an optimum location, but I really do not want to put a box in the back. The lexan I was referring to is a lot stronger than plexiglass (I here it will stop a .22 bullet) but obviously just as thin. What is the rationale behind 3/4"? Is it to eliminate movement or flexing or can sound come through, etc? Anyhow, I am willing to experiment a bit to find something that sounds okay.

That being said, what do you recommend with the room back there. 1.5 cubic feet for a sealed enclosure is big for most of the good subs that I have seen. There are a few Kickers, Rockford Fosgates, Pioneer, and Kickers that meet that space reqmnt. I know you can put fill in an small enclosure to make it "appear" to be bigger, are there any common things done to reduce the size aside from putting bricks in there to occupy space (off the top of my head I would try putting an inflated beach ball or something in there - sounds stupid though).

On another note - What do you think the optimum frequency range is for a sub. I was wanting to get something all the way down to 20 Hz, but a majority go to 25-30 Hz. Does 25-30 make a noticeable difference?

Last edited by tank_bmb; 06-20-2003 at 01:53 PM.