Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2003 Recall, SSC 30E

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2003 Recall, SSC 30E

So I was at my dealership this morning getting the squeaky seat fixed before Yotajam, when the Service Manager told me about Special Service Campaign 30E. In a nutshell:

-It only applies to rear air suspension trucks

-There are plastic retaining clips that holds a clevis-type pin in place that secures the pneumatic cylinders (springs) to their mounting location

-Under high loads, described as either off-road, 4L, or towing, one or both retaining clips may shear, allowing the pin to walk out. If that happens, the cylinder becomes free to move and the truck then becomes a REAL air suspension vehicle. The axle may then bottom on the stops, and the truck will be stranded. That has happened to another customer of his.

-He put mine up on the lift for inspection, and one clip had failed already, although I've only been doing light off-road on FS roads, and only tried 4L a few times. I told him about Yotajam, and that I needed a quick repair. He grounded me on the spot. Then he called to order the parts and, you guessed it, BACKORDERED throughout the US. He said SSC 30E mailers went out a month ago. I sort of remember getting something in a Toyota envelope, but tossed it without opening thinking it was another service coupon.

-He upped the order status to Critical in the hopes of getting pins air expressed from Japan. The new pins are metal, replacing the previous plastic pins.

-I asked for another 'Runner loaner, but they use Budget RAC for loaners and they don't have any 4WD vehicles. I like the little Corolla, though.

This is putting a BIG wrench in my plans to attend Yotajam. Hopefully, everything will work out and I'll be there, but realistically it's sounding iffy.

Also, my old computer is acting up in this heat (102 yesterday, 98 today), so I may not be able to post for awhile until my new computer arrives in 5-7 days, Dell says. The old one finally fired up just now, so I'm posting this while I can. You air suspension guys get your trucks checked right away, this recall is important.

I'll update if the computer stays alive.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks man. Hopefully you'll make it, I hope to see ya there.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:23 PM
vin

Re: 2003 Recall, SSC 30E

Originally posted by BT17R
So I was at my dealership this morning getting the squeaky seat fixed before Yotajam
Was it the drivers seat ? If so how did they fix it ?
Old 07-30-2003, 02:41 PM

My dealer ordered the stuff for me so Im waiting, maybe I should call them cause it has been awhile
Old 07-30-2003, 04:32 PM

Question All 4Runners with Air Suspension?

I called my dealer regarding the special service campaign for the rear air suspension and they told me that it only applied to early production 2003 models. Can anyone confirm this?

I had them run my VIN and it did not come back as saying anything was needed, but I am not completely trusting that answer.

Suprised that this issue is not on the AllData site or more info on the web. Thankfully it's here on this forum!

UB
Old 07-31-2003, 07:58 AM

BT17R: What Dealership?

BT17R: What dealership did you get this work done at. Don't see a location for you, but the dealer you describe sounds like a good one and curious where/who it is.

Here in Washington I have been very impressed with the service department at Bob Bridge Toyota in Renton. So far they have been extremely helpful and professional and the mechanics seem to do good work.

*But* they never told me anything about a recall on my rear air Limited...
Old 07-31-2003, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

My dealer, Ron Tonkin Toyota in Portland, Oregon (PDX), said the recall applies only to a handful of early production trucks. That meant mine, an ordered truck produced during 12/02.

I've only noticed the driver's seat squeaking, but they're doing both. It's an easy but labor-intensive procedure involving removing the seats to apply a special lubricant to the tracks and (I think) power adjust mechanism.

The suspension fix kit is on the way Fed-X from Japan, should be here tomorrow. Repair time is estimated at one hour.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:34 AM

Re: All 4Runners with Air Suspension?

Originally posted by uberdog
I called my dealer regarding the special service campaign for the rear air suspension and they told me that it only applied to early production 2003 models. Can anyone confirm this?

UB
I have mine in the shop right now for the recall and to spend 90 bucks on the 7500 mile service, and the service rep did say that it applied to older production 2003 4Runners. He thought mine did not apply since it was built 4/03. ButI will know this evening. He never mentioned the parts being on back order.

Scott