Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2003 Climate Control and Rear Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Climate Control and Rear Defroster

Hey Guys,

I noticed two things recently now that the weather is getting cooler up here in New England

1. My rear defroster doesn't shut off automatically. I drive about 20-25 minutes to work and it stays on all the time. Does anyone know if the rear defrost has an auto shut off after x number of minutes?

2. The climate control is doing some weird things. It seems to sometimes decide to change the vents automatically. This is tough to explain. I will have the heat on automatic at 68 degrees and the foot area vents on. Next thing I look and I see the dash vent light is selected and air is coming out of the dash area. Kind of weird. This is the only thing it's doing and it's very random. Doesn't happen for a week or two and then it happens. All other aspects of the climate control work fine. Anyone else experienced this?
Old 10-21-2003, 11:52 AM

My auto climate does the same thing. My guess is that it comes out at the feet with the heat on, and the top vents with the A/C. Definitely a little weird...
Old 10-21-2003, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Auto A/C does some fun and odd stuff.

I too really don't know how to explain it at all but I haven't been using the Auto A/C part enough to experience it enough but I do sympathize though!

I believe the computer just adjusts the temp and changes settings accordingly to maintain the specific degrees you have it set to. Which means it'll change circulations/vents/whatever to maintain it. I don't know any other way to explain it.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:27 PM

I noticed that too....but when the heat's on, I thought it goes out thru the foot vents until the air warms up, then it goes the the regular vents. Hmm, I'll check it out since it's starting to get a little cool. Anyways, it's nice not having cold air blow in your face/your direction as you wait for it to heat up...
Old 10-21-2003, 04:45 PM

I appreicate the response guys. Like I said, try having the heat on auto. Set the temp to what you want and then put the vent on say for the floor setting. See if the climate control switches the vents on you to either floor and dash or dash alone. It's weird. It has a mind of its own!

On a side note, Anybody regarding the rear defroster? Is it supposed to automatically shut off after so many minutes of being on?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:18 PM

I could be way off, but I think it is normal for the heat to be on the floor. Hot air rises and cold air goes down. I've been in a few rentals and I know the Town Cars do the same thing. Now what I am questioning is you say put the unit in auto then change the vents. When I do that, mine switches auto off.....I think.

As fot the rear defroster, mine usually shuts off about 10 minutes after I turn it on.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:49 PM

Re: 2003 Climate Control and Rear Defroster

Originally posted by The Dutch Man
Hey Guys,

I noticed two things recently now that the weather is getting cooler up here in New England

1. My rear defroster doesn't shut off automatically. I drive about 20-25 minutes to work and it stays on all the time. Does anyone know if the rear defrost has an auto shut off after x number of minutes?

2. The climate control is doing some weird things. It seems to sometimes decide to change the vents automatically. This is tough to explain. I will have the heat on automatic at 68 degrees and the foot area vents on. Next thing I look and I see the dash vent light is selected and air is coming out of the dash area. Kind of weird. This is the only thing it's doing and it's very random. Doesn't happen for a week or two and then it happens. All other aspects of the climate control work fine. Anyone else experienced this?
As best I can remember from last Feb, my rear defroster does turn it self off after a while, but not sure how long. But one other observation I did make was the 'defroster' doesn't really defrost all that well. I have a 25 min drive to work, and it doesn't melt a lite coating of snow from the glass in that time. I am talking about snow that will brush off, not frozen hard to the glass. I did complain to the dealer, and after two days of 'we'll check' was told there is nothing wrong. I intend to make it an issue with them again this winter.

As for the climate control, I haven't noticed what you mentioned, but will try to watch more closely.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:58 AM

Ok, I was a little lost last night. Remind me never post messages when I can not read things correctly.

When I have my heat settings set to auto, my vents are first going to the floor then gradually move to the floor and vent. This is typical behavior for air displacement.

Second, you rear defroster should cut off after 15 minutes. I tested mine today and it cut off at 15 minutes. I would have the dealer look at this.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:10 AM

Now, when it's cold out, does your A/C button come on when you hit "Auto". Even when it's like 40 degrees out and I have the auto setting to say 70, the AC light comes on. Just seems odd to me.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:56 AM

I've found that the A/C is on all the time if AUTO is used. Probably, it is used to dry the air to give better control over the comfort of the temperature. It also prevents window fogging.