Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2003 Bug deflectors- problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 Bug deflectors- problems?

Guys,

I'm trying to find a 2003 hood bug deflector for a friend. I called my local dealership and they said that the stock OEM ones have had some problems. They have an aftermarket one for sale that looks exactly like the stock ones, they say. I know, it sounds a little odd and self-serving, but these guys know me pretty well and they haven't screwed me in the past.

Can any 2003 4runner owners w/ the stock OEM bug deflector comment? Impulsebrklyn?

Bob
Old 06-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one, but I took it off. When it was on I didn't have any problems with it at all, but I just really didn't like the way it looked from the sides. Since I don't really go out of town in it, I took it off. What was the problems they were having with them?
Old 06-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by momo.75
I have one, but I took it off. When it was on I didn't have any problems with it at all, but I just really didn't like the way it looked from the sides. Since I don't really go out of town in it, I took it off. What was the problems they were having with them?
Momo,

Do you want to sell yours?

I'm Bob's friend who's trying to get the bug guard and I'm running into lots of challanges getting it. To big to ship via USPS, breaking, etc.

Do you still have my email address?

Bob- Thanks much and I'll PM you in a bit.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:50 PM

im starting to see some probelms with mine which is pissing me off. the screws that hold the ends in are attached using a rubber nut almost so when you tighten the screw in the rubber expands keeping it in. Well the rubber has basically destroyed itself and i now have play in the bug deflector. cause of the movement there are now two pin head size cracks in the paint. Hard to explain but very small. I noticed this yesterday. Im very annoyed. So ive come up with a way to secure it properly, just will take alittle time to get the washer and nuts in the right place.

So i would wait on the bug defector.

Chris
Old 06-02-2003, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by impulsebrklyn

So i would wait on the bug defector.
Chris
ARHHHH Why must everthing these days be so complicated:pat:

Thanks Chris. I guess I'll just hold out for a while longer and maybe one will become available here.

Bob- I guess you can call off the dogs at this point. I do REALLY APPRECIATE your effort to help out but I think I'm going to try and be patient and see if anything local develops. Really, thank you for your time and effort.

If I can ever return the favor, please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:51 PM

So far min OEM has been great. The only problem is, ALL the bugs hit my windshield. Ever time I go to the gas station, you'll see me cleaning the windshield. But other than that, it has held up....for a little over a month so far. It did deflect a rock on my trip to Orlando, so I can not complain too much I guess
Old 06-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm actually devising a special polymer that can be applied to the front of the hood and glass of a vehicle. I just started and have the perfect marketing campaign. It would contain a commercial on a hot humid night. A suv would pull out onto the highway and the camera would zoom into an overweight mosquito flying down the road looking for the perfect target to commit suicide on. It spots the SUV and heads right for it. The camera zooms in even further to see the action. The mosquito takes aim for the hood and can't get a grip (at this time the announcer says, the Burtmanized hood is all good!) and it's legs slide out from underneath him. He slides all the way up the hood trying to gain traction but it's just too slippery due to the special mechanics of my space-age polymer invisible solution. The mosquito then slides all the way off the windshield and lands smack on the front the next car, which of course doesn't have my special treatment. The camera zooms in a little more as the mosquito explodes all over the windshield of the next vehicle, which happens to be a Jeep.

The end.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jason B
I'm actually devising a special polymer that can be applied to the front of the hood and glass of a vehicle. I just started and have the perfect marketing campaign. It would contain a commercial on a hot humid night. A suv would pull out onto the highway and the camera would zoom into an overweight mosquito flying down the road looking for the perfect target to commit suicide on. It spots the SUV and heads right for it. The camera zooms in even further to see the action. The mosquito takes aim for the hood and can't get a grip (at this time the announcer says, the Burtmanized hood is all good!) and it's legs slide out from underneath him. He slides all the way up the hood trying to gain traction but it's just too slippery due to the special mechanics of my space-age polymer invisible solution. The mosquito then slides all the way off the windshield and lands smack on the front the next car, which of course doesn't have my special treatment. The camera zooms in a little more as the mosquito explodes all over the windshield of the next vehicle, which happens to be a Jeep.

The end.
When you make that happen I would like to coat my whole Runner
Old 06-03-2003, 01:19 AM

The camera zooms in a little more as the mosquito explodes all over the windshield of the next vehicle, which happens to be a Jeep.

That is sweet Jason!!
Old 06-03-2003, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

The end.
If you need a logo or collateral material to promote it.....I can help you with that.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:06 PM

What's up guys! I second some of the responses above. I purchased my 03 Runner back in January. Up here in New England, Winter is a bear and rocks are always flying. By March, I decided to go my local stealer and purchase the stock Toyota deflector. They were running a special, 10% off, and had one in stock.

Don't get me wrong, the deflector is great! However, on the far ends of the deflector Toyota decided to use the stock holes in the hood for mounting. As stated earlier, they supply you with these junky rubber plugs that have a metal thread through the center of them. You screw your deflector mounting bracket into the rubber plug and it expands to fill the hole. Well, the sharp edges of the hood in 3 months cut the gromit to shreads, and left my deflector a little loose. Luckily the Toyota stealer is ordering me another mounting kit for no charge. (I was actually able to get the parts guy to order it with one phone call today, can you believe it?) This new kit will hold me for another 3 months. Bad design! I'd consider using stainless bolts and screwing the mounting brakets to the hood for good. Maybe a thought:pat:
Old 06-03-2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by The Dutch Man
What's up guys! I second some of the responses above. I purchased my 03 Runner back in January. Up here in New England, Winter is a bear and rocks are always flying. By March, I decided to go my local stealer and purchase the stock Toyota deflector. They were running a special, 10% off, and had one in stock.

Don't get me wrong, the deflector is great! However, on the far ends of the deflector Toyota decided to use the stock holes in the hood for mounting. As stated earlier, they supply you with these junky rubber plugs that have a metal thread through the center of them. You screw your deflector mounting bracket into the rubber plug and it expands to fill the hole. Well, the sharp edges of the hood in 3 months cut the gromit to shreads, and left my deflector a little loose. Luckily the Toyota stealer is ordering me another mounting kit for no charge. (I was actually able to get the parts guy to order it with one phone call today, can you believe it?) This new kit will hold me for another 3 months. Bad design! I'd consider using stainless bolts and screwing the mounting brakets to the hood for good. Maybe a thought:pat:
same damn problem with my lund deflector. im off to home depot to get some screws, and nuts and washers to mount it. because it came loose it acctually caused 2 minor imperfections in the paint on my hood. im very pissed as described above.