Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2001 4runner engine, starter, alarm problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 4runner engine, starter, alarm problems

Hi, I have a 2001 4runner that is acting up on my lately. It is at 70k miles if that matters.

Anyway, these are the problems I realized.

Day 1: I started the car and all the lights inside my car started blinking. This is weird so I turn off the car and the alarm goes off. I dont have a remote start so I need to take the key out of the ignition and stick it in the keyhole on the door to disable it.

I start the car again and just drive to school. The blinking lights come on and flash for about 30 seconds before it stops. While driving on the freeway, each little bump I go over the car will make a beep beep beep sound. When I open the door while I am driving, the car alarm will go off and stay on for about 30 seconds before it stops.

Yesterday:I couldnt even get my car to start. It sounded like the starter had a problem. I heard no engine noise, but the click click click click click noise. I had to take my moms car to school

Today: The car started no problem, but the same problems came up from day 1. Blinking, flashing lights, hazard lights noise. The alarm will go off when I turn off the engine.

Anyone here ever had these problem? Any tips? Thanks all
Old 11-19-2007, 04:55 PM

without getting into it and checking it out hands on, I'd say check your battery. sounds like the usual response to a dying battery or very corroded terminals.

most alarms will go off when they loose power and get power again, thinking someone is trying to steal the vehicle by cutting power.

I dont want to blame the alarm for any problems you are experiencing, mostly because I have to deal with people blaming alarms for all sorts of running issues daily, but based on what you are telling, it may be the cause of it. get that checked out as well as the battery.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:16 PM

hmm, thanks

ill get the battery replaced, i did get it replaced not too long ago(no more than 7-8months back)

Can anyone explain the start up problem in one day, then back to normal again?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:15 AM

[QUOTE
Can anyone explain the start up problem in one day, then back to normal again?[/QUOTE]

Def. the starter contacts. They work intermittently when worn. Replace asap as it might start and the starter won't disengage causing damage to the flywheel. Tons of threads on this board about same issue and replacement.
Don't dilly dally on this repair.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:59 AM

yeah, im gonna get that checked out.

what can cause corrodded internals?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:30 AM

I would advise making sure the battery is good first before you get into the starter, the contacts might be worn but with only 70k miles I'd bet not unless you are like a pizza delivery driver and don't leave your car running while delivering a pizza (....causing you to shut it down like 40 times a day). Plus, given the rest of your symptoms, I'd say it'd have to be battery related.

Also, check all your fuses and wiring for a break in a connection somewhere. Make sure the ground is properly connected also, a bad ground will cause these symptoms too.

I think he meant corroded terminals, which are the little posts on the battery where everything connects. If you have severely corroded terminals, it can most definitely cause the problems you're describing. A cheap and easy fix for this is to use an old toothbrush and some coke or pepsi. Sounds crazy but the acid in coke and pepsi will eat the corrosion right up or there are tons of terminal cleaners out there that you can get at an auto parts store. A cheap fix that would keep the corrosion away is to place a penny near the terminals, the compounds in the penny will attract the corrosion and pull it away from your post.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Skrillah
I would advise making sure the battery is good first before you get into the starter, the contacts might be worn but with only 70k miles I'd bet not unless you are like a pizza delivery driver and don't leave your car running while delivering a pizza (....causing you to shut it down like 40 times a day). Plus, given the rest of your symptoms, I'd say it'd have to be battery related.

Also, check all your fuses and wiring for a break in a connection somewhere. Make sure the ground is properly connected also, a bad ground will cause these symptoms too.

I think he meant corroded terminals, which are the little posts on the battery where everything connects. If you have severely corroded terminals, it can most definitely cause the problems you're describing. A cheap and easy fix for this is to use an old toothbrush and some coke or pepsi. Sounds crazy but the acid in coke and pepsi will eat the corrosion right up or there are tons of terminal cleaners out there that you can get at an auto parts store. A cheap fix that would keep the corrosion away is to place a penny near the terminals, the compounds in the penny will attract the corrosion and pull it away from your post.

cool, thanks a lot for the advice. im going to try that. THANKS YOTATECHIES!!

ill keep yall updated!