Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 Tacoma-bleeding ABS brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 Tacoma-bleeding ABS brakes?

Best I can tell, the ABS unit is transparent to the brake system unless its called upon to stop your ride on slick surfaces. That said, I want to completely bleed my brake system to remove the old and replace with new brake fluid. Anyone done this and if so, any recommendations on doing it with with an ABS system? I will be using a vacuum pump to pull the fluid from reservoir to the wheel cylinders.

Thanks for your time and $0.02
Old 02-26-2008, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do a search this was covered pretty well in the past week or two. you should find your answers there.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did.....not covered in the depth I expected. Honda advises the ABS motors be retracted before bleeding the brakes. What about Toyota? Perhaps you found something I didn't? Got those links handy?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your first impression was correct. The ABS Actuator module under the hood will have its solenoids wide open during normal operation, closing only when called upon to correct lockup situations. It is an inline component in a hydraulic system, and therefore is, as you suggest, transparent to the process.

To bleed brake fluid older than two-years old out of your system, with your engine off, vacuum pump as much brake fluid out of your MC reservoir as you can, then pry out the little strainer basket with a precision flathead scewdriver, sucking out the remaining fluid. Fit the screen back into its place, and fill the reservoir back to its recommended level with brand new brake fluid, that has never been opened before.

While I've heard of guys doing this single-handed, I highly recommend the two-man team, simply because the last thing in the world you want to do is drain the MC reservoir completely, pushing air into the ABS Actuator module.

Simply put, start with the driver's side rear, open the bleeder valve, and depress the brake pedal, again with the engine off... repeat a couple of times, until the level of fluid reaches the sensor plug of the reservoir. It is critical that one of you check the reservoir level after each depression of the pedal. When it reaches the plug... STOP! and refill the reservoir to the top again... repeating this cycle until the fluid coming out of the bleeder and into your container is almost colorless, like what you put into the reservoir.

Close the bleeder, and repeat for the passenger rear, before moving to the driver's front, and finally the passenger front. When you're done, top off the MC reservoir once more, turn on the engine, and cycle the brake pedal. It should feel normal, and so long as you never let the fluid level go down below the sensor, you'll have successfully avoided getting air into the Actuator.