Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 4Runner 3.4 cranks but doesn't turn over

Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 4Runner 3.4 cranks but doesn't turn over

What I have: 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 manual trans with 130,000 miles on the body and ECU and computer but only 50,000 the engine and have full budbuilt belly skids. (have a snorkel and K&N air filter)
What I did: was wheeling all day at Evans Creek with no problems, went through a pond that definitely submerged my truck up to the bottom of the door jam (didn't leak inside so was probably up to bottom of the body)
What happened: water got into the bearings of my power steering pump and now they are ruined but were SCREECHING! then I drove about 4 miles down the road and then my truck just shut off.
What I tried to do: I tried to start the truck multiple times with no luck. The truck would crank but didn't turn over. after trying a few times I noticed that the Check Engine light was never on like it usually is. I thought that was odd. I didn't think it was the fuel pump, but I want to check the easiest to reach parts first. I pulled the connection to the ECU (or what I think is the ECU, near the MAF?) to check for water but it's dry... so i connected it and looked for loose wires with no luck. I DID search and found that it could possibly be the Crank Position Sensor... I will check that tommorrow.
What I need: I need some imput as to what you guys think it could be and what kind of checks I could do. I will obviously search some more but seeing that this is my only vehicle I'm hoping its a quick fix. Thanks.

-Matt
Old 10-30-2011, 01:16 PM

its definitely not the crank position sensor
Old 10-30-2011, 07:11 PM

I would hook up a scanner and see if there's any codes stored.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:42 PM

Check all fuel lines? maybe something got disconnected near the fuel filter under the truck
Old 10-30-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check the fuses also when i ended up getting water too high on mine i ended up having to put a heater in in for a couple days and let it dry out before it would run right due to water getting in the connections and not letting it run right. i would recheck the connections for water in them, second thing do u hear fuel pump? have u pulled a plug to see if u have spark? i think the ecu is on the passenger side foot area right? thats where it is in mine, but i would pull the panel and pull carpet back and take a look and see if u see water down there still, if u cant get it and still need help i do live close and can help sometime
Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 PM

I sprayed throttle body cleaner into the throttle body and tried to start it, no putter... now I'm going to check the Camshaft position sensor and do a spark check... the one thing i want to do is check to see if there is power to the ECU... but I'm reading through my chiltons and can't find anything on where the power is... i'll also re-check all of my fuses REMEMBER... THERE IS NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON AT ALL, even when the truck is in the run position before starting!!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM

so i did a refined come over of the fuses and found the EFI (20 amp) fuse to be blown... i threw in a replacement and it ran great for about 20 minutes, then i took it up to pick up my girlfriend and was driving back and it died again. I had another replacement fuse and threw it in there... it died immediately.... so I can't find out what that fuse does but atleast I've pinpointed it to one item. Can anyone tell me what that fuse belongs to in the EFI system? Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

This 20 AMP fuse is for the EFI:

Old 11-01-2011, 09:32 AM

ALBPM.... yea i know. I replaced that fuse once and the truck drove fine for approx 30 minutes. Then i was coming off the highway and the truck died again. I checked the same fuse (blown) and replaced it. I turned the truck on again and the fuse immediately blew (out of fuses by this point) so I pushed the truck up to the closest parking lot. I read a little about it and all suggestions go to either the fuel pump, O2 sensors or the throttle position sensor shorting out. (but what does that fuse control exactly and where is that part located?)
Old 11-04-2011, 06:13 AM

so I dragged into the shop I usually bring my truck to when stuff hits the fan... they've been working on it for about 1 full day and the mechanic (who I trust and know from previous work) seems like he's got his hands full. He's checked all 8+ sensors that fall under that EFI fuse and didn't find any shorts. He says that there's some short dealing with the EFI wire connection to the ECM and he has to check every wire... so this is definitely something way more complicated than I could ever correct in a small amount of time.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:29 PM

after a week of looking the problem was found. There is a wire harness that runs to the front of the truck for some sensors and other stuff powered by the EFI fuse. When i replaced the engine about a year ago i guess i set the engine down on this wire harness and made an exposed area in the harness and i bent the bracket holding the harness down. as I drove around for the year the wire harness would rub against the block... eventually opening up the exposed area enough. when i drove through the puddle that was the end of it... so the harness was repaired and wrapped with heat shield and it runs like a champ
Old 11-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting the resolution.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:11 AM

Nice post, good fix. Try to hit the mud holes faster next time!