95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

20 minute roof rack mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
20 minute roof rack mod

I have been waiting about two months for my Yamima Ax/Shovel mount to arrive, and the store called me today to tell me it was in.

This can be used for either a shovel or ax.
I allready have my shovel rigged up on the same side as I put the Hi-Lift jack on the passenger side.

I put this mount on the drivers side and it turned out nice.
Here are a few pics I shot in the dark when I started in on this.
First break of rain about all day here.

Ax mounted 1

Ax mounted 2

empty mount

It takes less than a minute to mount or unmount it.
I had never planned to really carry one, but after reading the info on here from past threads, the forest service can crack down on you if you are exploring/wheeling on their land and don't carry one.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookin good

Put a protection piece of rubber on it. Don't want one of the neighbor kids to come along and cut themselves and have the parents come down on you:mad:
Old 02-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Todd, I'll have to get a cover for it.
It will only be up there though for trips, or it might not be there the next day.

That ax is a little dingy looking, I think it's about 30 years old or more

Paid for this thing a few months back also, and it sure took a long time to get it in.
By the way, Sports Rack up there by the Costco has one more in stock in case you are wanting one.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Away

Cool Corey. I have a "Survival Axe/Shovel/Hammer/Saw" thing stowed in the back of my rig for the same reasons.

Dr. Z
Old 02-21-2003, 05:36 PM
JSB
Contributing Member

Looks great Corey. Now that I have my rack, I'm sure these little add ons will be sneaking there way in my mail!
Old 02-21-2003, 05:52 PM

Corey I've said this before but you have one tough lookin' 4runner... shovels and axes and picks and lights and all that crazy shizzle...man...
Old 02-21-2003, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Corey,

Maybe you should get one of these battle axes to put up there.

Alan
Old 02-21-2003, 06:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Doc, I don't have a saw in the rig yet, unless a Boeing one I have that converts to a saw, fish knife, regular knife counts.

I'll have to dig that up, it's buried here somewhere, it was a presentation award I got from Boeing many moons ago.

Thanks JSB, mods never stop do they

Thanks Los Gatos, I have spent a few years honing my rig the way I feel fits me.

Alan, those battle axes are rad.
I'd have to dress up like one of the charactors from the game Diablo II next time I head for the mountains.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Corey,

If you dress up like you suggested, you'd certainly get some attention! You could drive out in the woods like that waving your battle axe out the window and yelling into your CB with the PA on. But maybe you don't want to much attention in these days of terror attack alerts.

If you're interested in a saw, I found one that you might check out. I figured it would be a good idea to have something for emergency use too. It has apparently been available for a few years, but I had not seen one until I saw it in a catalog I got a while back.

Its a buck-saw that fits breaks down to fit in an aluminum tube.
See the Trailblazer site.

I got the 24" one - it looked about as compact as anything I had seen that still has some pretty respectable sawing capability. I like the fact that everything ends up inside the tube, with no exposed saw teeth to tear things up if a guard falls off.
I was going to take a couple of pics and post a note, but never got around to it.

I don't have any logs around to give it much of a test, but its got pretty agressive teeth so it should cut pretty fast. I cut a 2x4 off pretty quick; the only problem there was the wide gullets in the teeth meant I couldn't start the cut too well on the corner like I would with a normal handsaw, but that I don't think that will be an issue with a large branch or log.

The quality looks OK as far as I can tell. I think I will do a bit of filing on the open end of the tubes since they could do with rounding over to help prevent the tube from scratching things. I also think a bit of tape or something to give a bit better grip would help - the anodized aluminum is pretty slick. The one drawback I can see now is the metal loop that serves as a hanger and also keeps everything inside the tube. That could get lost pretty easy.

According to their web site its available from a number of places including REI and GI Joe's. I didn't know who made it or where you could get one so I ordered mine from a woodworking tool place that sent me the catalog. They cost somewhere in the $25-$30 range.

Alan
Old 02-21-2003, 08:03 PM

Those saws are nice. We used similar ones in boyscouts all the time. We put them through some pretty fair abuse, and they always worked fine. I myself prefer a chainsaw....
Old 02-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Alan, that is a very cool saw.
I was just up nextdoor to GI Joe's today when I picked up the ax bracket.
Dang, I would have gone in there to look at the saw if I knew about it.

That's a good find.