Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2" suspension lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2" suspension lift

I'm new to the whole offroad world. I have a '90 4Runner that has never seen anything other than pavement because I was married and she wouldn't let me take it off-road (sad, I know). I'm divorced now so it's time to start playing with my 4Runner.

I want to start with mild lifting at first and go from there. I figure the cheapest and most effective way to start this would be a 2" suspension lift with a 2" body lift. Body lifts are abundant and there is no problem find that. I am however having trouble find a 2" suspension lift. I'm going to assume that this would be a simple spacer type lift, but where can I find one?

Also, what else needs to be done? I have read on here something about track bar lower.....where can I find that also.

My rear springs a sagging (no big surprise....it's a 4Runner). I've found several options here, but open to any input that you can give me.

-Dan

Don't take the comment about "cheapest" the wrong way. You guys probably off-road way more than I ever will. I just want a starting point for now and go from there if the off-road bug bites me.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Contributing Member

Your cheapest option is to put spacers (or airbags) in the back and crank the torsion bars in the front.

If you want to spend a little more replace the back springs with Downey coils and if you're adding weight in the front (bumper/winch) get the Sway Away torsion bars.
Also keep in mind your CV angles with the lift. You may want to add manual hubs.
Look at http://robinhood4x4.com/suspension1.htm
All Pro Offroad makes a spacer.
Check out this review

I'm not sure what you mean by track bar lower. Panhard bar perhaps?

Also, not everyone here off-roads. And you dont need a lift to get started. A 2nd gen runner with 31" AT tires can hold its own even with open diffs.

Welcome to the forum, that flashing green button at the top can be a wonderful tool.

Last edited by Mossback74; 02-07-2004 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:51 AM

Thanks for the info. I used the search button, but all of the info gets a bit confusing when I'm not sure what is interchangable if anything between the different generations.

I'm not trying to be too cheap, just not looking to spend $1000+ on my first lift. I'm figuring $100 for the body lift and am willing to spend up to $500-600 to do the 2" of suspension right.

Has anyone ever thought about going with some Eibach springs? I'm not sure about the diameter or height of the springs on Toyota Trucks/4Runner, but you can go to stiffer springs of any rate or height. I am an engineer, but work on cars.....that is the reason for the Eibach input. Might be a good way to get a more custom lift and ride.

-Dan
Old 02-07-2004, 03:22 AM

Alright, I kind of feel like a moron now. I was looking for front coil spring spacers for my '90 4Runner when it doesn't have any. I evidently needed no help after all.

Actually, the reading did help me understand more about off-road suspension. Thanks.

-Dan

PS- I'm running 31" tire right now on the stock suspension.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:24 AM
Contributing Member

What size tires are you looking to run? You dont need a body lift unless you are putting on 32" or bigger (some 32s fit fine stock). The body lift will also cause issues when going above 1". Shifter's, steering linkages, etc all need to be extended?

I think you money you be well spent on some rear springs, new shocks and some nice tires. Like 31x10.50 Bridgestone Deuler AT Revos.

Did I guess right on track bar lower?
Old 02-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Contributing Member

Corey did a Review on downey coils with edlebrock shocks. Its a good read and his rig is easy on the eyes too.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:03 AM

After lots of reading, I have found all the info that I need......I think. Thanks for the help.

I am currently running 31x10.50 with no rubbing on a stock suspension. The reason for a 2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift is to fit 35" tires under it. I've seen it done on a truck with a 5" total lift and should work on my 4Runner as well. Since 31s fit fine at stock ride height, 35s will only take up more inches in the wheel well height wise. With a 4" total lift, they should fit fine. Possibly a bit of rubbing at a hard steer since they are wider.

The other pro of the body lift is cost. $100 for 2" of clearance is a pretty good deal. I generally hate body lifts, but 2" looks alright on Toyotas. It will also give me a better shot a welding some custom running board/nerf bars to the frame.

I've put alot of thought into the lift, just wasn't sure how to lift the front of the 4Runner.

-Dan
Old 02-07-2004, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

With 35's you may want to think about a re-gear too. That 3.0 can only do so much. While the diffs are open you may as well put in lockers and on board air. Then with the locked diffs you'll go in deeper mud so you need a snorkle. Eventually you'll get stuck and need a winch, which needs a new front bumper, and you gotta have the rear match too. Now with all this gear that IFS just aint cuttin it so you get a solid axle. Ok that 3.0 has been great but hey, why not swap that out with a supercharged 3.4.

You see how it goes...

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2004, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Lemme just start off by saying welcome and its great to see someone so interested in their 4runner and hear that you're actually reading up on it versus some people, like me when I first got on here, that post about 5 different threads in about a 10 minute time frame.

OK, back on subject. I have stock suspension with 31x10.50 BFG A/T's and have yet to get stuck. Last week I went muddin and purposely TRIED to get stuck, I had myself buried halfway up on my rims and I was still able to get out. All I'm saying is I don't think you should get this lift because you don't think you can do any off-roading as it is now.

Mossback brings up a good point about the body lift, you will need modify other things in order for it fit/function properly. I would suggest a Roger Brown 2" Body Lift if you do indeed decide to go that way. There are several members on here that have installed one with great success.

I haven't done any research, but I would assume the difference between a 2" and 4" lift would not be that big. I am planning on just going with the 4" lift from ProComp, that is going to be over $1K seeing as how I'm going to need to get new shock boots, tires and all the other things that go along with lifting...I say I am planning on getting that, planning means maybe in the next year

There are many on here that know TONS and TONS and TONS about lifting 4runners and I'm sure that they will chime in soon...goodluck and if you have any more questions use the search button and if that doesn't work...go ahead and "Ask The Experts" yourself!

Fink
Old 02-07-2004, 07:37 AM

I'm not saying that I can't go off-roading without lifting the 4Runner. I use to have 2 completely stock trucks years ago and went off-road all the time in them.

The reasoning behind the work on my 4Runner is because it's what I've wanted to do to the truck since I bought it. I have some friends that are really into off-roading and I'd like to hang with them. One has bronco that is lifted 10" and the other has a Toyota truck (not sure of the lift here).....both sit on 44"s. The little Toyota looks funny on huge tires like that.....like a cartoon truck. I think 35"s are the limit on Toyotas unless you have a Tundra maybe.

Anyway, for Mossback74, I already have plans for new bumpers. I'm going to custom fabricate them myself........and yes, a winch might be part of that. I'll see what the gearing is like when I raise it and go from there. I might be too far into this whole offroad thing at the planning stage.

I've also thought about the engine swap before all of this. I'm thinking about eventually dropping in a "UZ" series engine. Maybe with a supercharger.

I don't however think I'll ever get to the solid axle point on my 4Runner. If I get that far into off-roading, I'll buy a truck.

-Dan