Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Questions

o.k....Question 1: Is there a chat forum here for real time chat? and 2: I have a serious oil leak somewhere and I don't know where it is. It looks to be coming from the front of my engine. I have found oil on the front of my engine, the bottom, on the bottom of the cab above the tranny, on the tranni, basically all along the bottom of my runner. I think what's happening is the oil is leaking from the engine somewhere and then blowing back while I'm driving? Does that sound feasable? Also I've noticed little splatter marks on the inside of my hood...Is that from the fan blowing it all around? How can I find the leak and how do I clean it all up? Thanks for your suggestions......
Old 01-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Chat?
Yep, just look on the main page here and scroll down for Chat.
It has two URLs on the second description line in case you need the AOL Instant Messenger software, or if you want to use Trillian's software.

Also there is a link to the Chat on the Portal page.

The chat works great, and I have never seen it bog down even with 30 people in there as it uses AOL's servers.

The room is always open, but may be empty until you get there.

I use to have a '79 Toyota with the 20R engine, and it also leaked in the front.
It was the timing chain cover if I remember right.
Got it fixed and that stopped that.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:50 AM

Thanks Corey....hope to see you all there!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 12:59 PM

My guess on the oil leak is the front main seal. Behind the crank shaft pulley in the oil pump, ( on a 22r @ least). You are correct in thinking that the leak is blowing everywhere when you drive. For cleaning I'd suggest 'engine bright' or something similar. Once you get the motor clean pull the skid plate and run it until you see where its leaking. Oil+gravity+wind makes for a menace in locating leak. Since you also have oil on the underside of the hood it might be from the valve cover. I'm assuming its a 22R.
good luck

Nathan
Old 01-28-2003, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mudd Runna
Thanks Corey....hope to see you all there!!!
I'm going to try and be on around 9 or 10 est tonight. (unless nova is a 2 hour episode ) See you all there.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-28-2003, 04:04 PM

I think I know what happened to your engine. The same thing was happening on my engine and it ended up being the seal that is on the oil pump. It got to a point where it was literally spraying out of the point where the shaft that turns the fan goes into the engine. It isn't really hard to replace if you know how to do some of the basics. Get a repair manual and it will help you a bunch. While you have the timing cover off you may as well replace the timing belt.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:40 AM

thanks guys

O.k....upon further inspection....I noticed that the "oil" I saw spattered all over my tranni...is gear oil...not motor oil.....But I've been having problems with my clutch.....is there a connection?....I also noticed some fresh oil around my oil pan where the bottom part meets the top part where the gasket is.....perhaps my oil pan gasket is gone.....but there is more oil all over the front of my engine.....the person that suggested it to be my front seal sounds to be heading in the right direction.......again the oil that is on the front of my engine is like all caked up and more gunky....as opposed to some of the other oil spots I've found to be more fresh....
Old 01-29-2003, 05:43 AM

lol....ooops

I forgot....Yes it's a 22RE 2.4 non turbo
Old 01-29-2003, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Just fixed the same exact sounding oil leak from my 92 22re, the oil was everywhere. It was the front oil pump seal, which is behind the main lower pully. It took about 3 hours to tear down and replace. The best check is to diconnect all the belts except for the alt (so the fan doesn't blow and hide the true source). Clean as much oil from the engine as possible. Run the engine while laying under it with a light and some eye protection (found that out the hard way. Look at the point where the front of the oil pan is meets the oil pump housing and behind the pulley for oil splattering or running out of the shaft. If you can see oil comming out pull off the lower pulley (easier if you have a chain wrech) and run the truck again for a short while and shut it off if that seal is bad you will see oil running out the bottom of the shaft. You will also be able to see the timming cover housing to check if that is leaking also with the pulley off you can see the whole T-cover.
Use an After-Market front seal the Toyota seal is not thick enough (a seal redesign flaw). I found out the hard way. Replaced the oil pump gasket and seal on Sat. at my friends Toyota shop (nice having access to a Toyota dealer shop and @ cost parts), put in the new Toyota seal (which we both thought looked small) and the seal leaked like a sive on the way home. Put in a thicker after-market seal last night and magically the leak stopped.
Hope this helps and let me know if the was it.
Brad
Old 01-29-2003, 07:18 AM

Thanks Brad

Just got off of the phone with a local NAPA store and the guy said the same thing....it was either going to be the front Timing cover seal, or the oil pump mounting gasket. It's getting done this Sat so I'll post what it was after then....Thanks for the input guys.....
Old 01-29-2003, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by PirateFins
If you can see oil comming out pull off the lower pulley (easier if you have a chain wrech) and run the truck again for a short while and shut it off if that seal is bad you will see oil running out the bottom of the shaft.
Brad
Brad-- wouldn't it leak even more if you ran the engine with the crankshaft pulley off? That's the part that mates up to the seal.

As far as not being thick enough, I know some front seal kits come with a sleeve to pound onto the outside part of the crankshaft pulley that slides into the oil pump housing. Over time as the front seal gets harder, it will wear grooves into the crankshaft pulley, making more room for oil to get out. Sleeving it provides a nice clean mating surface for the new seal. I'm thinking that maybe the seal you tried to use was meant to be used with a sleeve kit as the sleeve adds material to the OD and would therefore need a slightly less thicker seal?? Not sure about that, just a guess. When you say that it wasn't thick enough, are you talking about the inner diameter of the seal?
Old 01-29-2003, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by Brown
Brad-- wouldn't it leak even more if you ran the engine with the crankshaft pulley off? That's the part that mates up to the seal.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. The Pulley doesn't actually create a seal itself. If the pulley sleave does touch the seal it would in fact wear a groove in the seal causing it to fail. As far a running the engine the guy helping me is a Toyota cert. mech. and that is how we tested it. Before new seal it ran out like crazy. After 2nd new seal it was bone dry without the pulley. Watched it the whole time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as not being thick enough, I know some front seal kits come with a sleeve to pound onto the outside part of the crankshaft pulley that slides into the oil pump housing. Over time as the front seal gets harder, it will wear grooves into the crankshaft pulley, making more room for oil to get out. Sleeving it provides a nice clean mating surface for the new seal. I'm thinking that maybe the seal you tried to use was meant to be used with a sleeve kit as the sleeve adds material to the OD and would therefore need a slightly less thicker seal?? Not sure about that, just a guess. When you say that it wasn't thick enough, are you talking about the inner diameter of the seal?
2. No Toyota has done a redesign to replace the older seal design. It is not as thick in the sense that if you lay both the Toyota & After-market seals down flat side by side. The After-market is 2x's as tall as the Toyota. My buddy brought this up to his service mang. and he is going to look at it. It was not to be used with a sleeveing kit. Everything matched the ID, OD, except for the depth / height / thickness whatever you want to call it.

This work was being done at the dealer by my friend as warranty, because we just put in a re-man long block 8 months ago. I just happened to be lucky and have a friend that works on Toyotas for a living.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

1. The Pulley doesn't actually create a seal itself. If the pulley sleave does touch the seal it would in fact wear a groove in the seal causing it to fail. As far a running the engine the guy helping me is a Toyota cert. mech. and that is how we tested it. Before new seal it ran out like crazy. After 2nd new seal it was bone dry without the pulley. Watched it the whole time.
Okay, now I'm a little confused. Are we talking about the same thing? :confused: The front main seal that you can see when you remove the crankshaft pulley, right? I don't want to disredit you since you saw it happen, so please don't take this as an attack, but what is that seal there for if it doesn't seal against the crank pulley? And as far as wearing grooves into something, the seal is the one that wears grooves into the pulley, thus the need for a new sleeve on the pulley. It may not absolutely be required, but would be good insurance when putting in a new front main seal.

2. No Toyota has done a redesign to replace the older seal design. It is not as thick in the sense that if you lay both the Toyota & After-market seals down flat side by side. The After-market is 2x's as tall as the Toyota. My buddy brought this up to his service mang. and he is going to look at it. It was not to be used with a sleeveing kit. Everything matched the ID, OD, except for the depth / height / thickness whatever you want to call it.

This work was being done at the dealer by my friend as warranty, because we just put in a re-man long block 8 months ago. I just happened to be lucky and have a friend that works on Toyotas for a living.
Thanks for clearing that part of it up.