Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2 cans of Seafoam in the PCV and now MPG improvement. Whats the deal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2 cans of Seafoam in the PCV and no MPG improvement. Whats the deal??

Hey guys I read a few threads on here because from a full tank to light I was getting about 220 miles per tank. Alot of people were raving about seafoam so I drove 10 miles to the nearest place that had it and poured it in the pcv hose until the engine started to sputter then I backed off I did this a few times then I shut the engine off and filled the hose and let it set for 5-10 min. I fired it up and sure enough it smoked as expected for a while then I brought it back and did it again. I continued doing this until I had used 1 1/2 cans then added the rest to about a half tank of gas and drove the tank to empty. My first tank after the treatment I got 210 miles. WTF

by the way the car is a 1999 4runner sr5 auto 2wd. I live in CA and I am spending over $400 a month on guess HELP!

Last edited by mycotopian; 07-07-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:22 PM

I have the ISR mod done by the way
Old 07-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you claned the MAF sensor lately? the mileage will only improve if that's where you have a problem. if you have a dirty MAF causing your low mileage, then seafoam won't help one bit.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:57 PM

Also, clean the throttle body as well.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any differences in how you were driving between the before and after? (be honest!) All in-city? Highway?

I think most of us have seen an improvement, but there're are plenty of other factors to look at. MAF, TB, air filter, plugs...

You say you did the ISR mod, did you also do the airbox?

How many miles are on the engine?

220 miles per "tank", what does that equate to in mpg? Are you really putting in 16 gallons every time?
Old 07-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Nic

I saw a big improvement in my 84 Camry with almost 260,000 miles on it. I did the BG 44K on it first, then the Seafoam through the brake booster line. It did help, and it idles better.

I have only used the BG 44K (once) on my truck-no Seafoam. I have also cleaned the throttlebody and changed the fuel filter and spark plugs. I didn't think any of that helped much, but I think it did now. I took a 1,000 mile round trip over the weekend and it seemed my gas mileage was much better. There is one big hill not far from my place that I went up much easier than in the past. Also, I have switched to synthetic in my Diffs and transmission. I understand that helps a wee bit on economy.

You might want to change the fuel filter since you ran all that seafoam through it along with the other things everyone has mentioned.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:56 PM

Midiwall

My driving is actually very routine and didnt change between tanks

The airbox is still stock

The truck has 130k on it

as far as per tank I pretty much go from the time the nozzle cliks on a fill up until the gas light comes on.

I'll try to get to the MAF today and see how bad it is.

Also I have one more can should I run it through the intake or dump it int he tank?
Old 07-08-2004, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mycotopian
as far as per tank I pretty much go from the time the nozzle cliks on a fill up until the gas light comes on.
Oh... wow, then you may be only putting in 13-14 gallons. 210/13 = 16.15mpg, which is pretty good... The next time you fill-up, please note just how much fuel you're pumping into the tank. On my truck, the light comes on with over 2 gallons to go.

You said your driving is routine, but you didn't qualify what "routine" is.. Highway? City? Mixed? How long is the trip from home to work (or whatever your daily drive is)? And are you a leadfoot like I am?

Also I have one more can should I run it through the intake or dump it int he tank?
I wouldn't just yet... Let's finish working out what kind of mileage you're getting now. It may be that you're capped out as it is!

I understand that your mileage dropped 10 miles per "tank", but 10 miles on a 220 mile range is a small percentage that could be attributed to weather, not getting to a gas station as soon as the light went on, etc.

It'll be important to start noting exactly how much fuel you're putting into the tank when you fill up. That'll tell us a lot more about what mileage you're actually getting.